Terrible things creep in the shadows and cryptid terrors stalk humanity. The Cabals of the Corporatocracy have hoarded the magic of the world for themselves to inflate their power and secure control over the dull-eyed placated masses. Magic cannot be trusted and its manipulation has repercussions. Where the wealthy and powerful are kept protected from these consequences, the rest of the population is exposed to the dangerous things crossing over into our world. There are those that will fight these incursions, adventurers who will face the unknown, revolutionaries that will challenge the powers that be - join them now!
Ghostlike Crime is a tabletop role-playing game zine bringing magical realism, the paranormal, and cryptid terrors to a modern day dystopia using Dungeon Crawl Classics rules. It expands and hacks the original rule set to place it in a familiar yet darkly skewed setting. The intention is not to unnecessarily complicate the rules or bore you with voluminous background fluff, but to hand the players some quirky character options and throw them into conflict with things that go bump in the night. Imagine the Alpha-team facing off against a family of yeti or Ghosthunters trying to figure out how to keep the local for-profit coroner from continuing to resurrect a mass murdering slasher.
The adventurers are monster hunters and defenders of humanity from paranormal threats. They are not a part of any government program, but an autonomous and clandestine group that also works to keep power out of the hands of oppressors. They are the nail that sticks up. This parallel reality is a dystopia where magic exists, but open practitioners are unheard of. Wealth hoards power and these usurpers who cannot wield it enslave those who do. Ghostlike Crime is set up to be as grim or gonzo as you like.
Dungeon Crawl Classics is a tabletop role-playing game that is steeped in Appendix N literature and OSR sensibilities. Besides being an immensely fun take on old school versions of fantasy role-playing games it has an active and supportive community around expanding its content. With an open game license and support from Goodman Games, third party publishers like myself have taken the underlying game system into a myriad of different creative directions. Like zines from the early days of the tabletop gaming hobby this renaissance of independent content creators provides a reciprocal engine of creating new and exciting ways to play with a familiar rules system.
Ghostlike Crime will be a 32 page black and white fold and staple zine. Physical copies will be printed with a 100lb cardstock cover and 80lb interior pages. The PDF will be optimized for viewing and indexed for quick searching.
Contents will include:
- Modified Classes for The Warrior, The Thief, and The Halfling
- New Class: The Scrapper - Like the whiskey hiding in the corner of a bottle in the recycle bin, forgotten enchantments linger on objects left out on a curb. The Scrapper can see the aura of these enchantments, more importantly they can wield them as a weapon.
- New Class: The Paratechnologist - An artificer of weird science devices. They jury-rig everything from tethers for the incorporeal to anti-matter silver bullets.
- Equipment: Weapons, paratechnological items, and trash artifacts
- Adventuring party archetypes for the modern hero
- A collection of adversaries from the Cabals of the Corporatocracy to the Unstoppable Killing Machine
- Two full adventures ready to put your players through the paces of weird sci-fi horror gaming.
• $1,500 – UNLOCKED! All backers will get character sheets in a form-fillable PDF format. Styled in a Ghostlike Crime motif.
• $2,500 - UNLOCKED!! Level 0 Adventure: A Hellish Commute. DCC players love a character funnel, so a third adventure will be added to Ghostlike Crime #01 to satiate that need for level 0 death or glory.
• $3,000 – Issue #2 PDF free for all backers. Expected delivery Fall 2019.
The writing, design, and layout will all be done by me, Kane. While this is my first Kickstarter it’s not my first DIY project. I’ve published books, punk zines, and roleplaying games in the past. I’ve also put out records of my own bands and others. I did the design, editing, and layout of most of those projects as well. Related to RPGs specifically, I've playtested and contributed to a number of modern RPGs and write a blog called The Plague Keep.
More Importantly, the artists involved are amazing and I’m honored that they are on board to provide art for this zine. Check out samples of their work below! Please keep in mind that the following are samples of artwork previously done by these artists and the pieces that will be done for this zine will be custom.
Artist: Carly Onofrio
Artist: Peet Sketches
Artist: Michael Bukowski
This zine is going to be a series and the funding for this first issue will be cycled into all the following issues. The true bottom line is that having a campaign to raise this money allows for quality printing and commissioning amazing art. #zinequest
Risks and challenges
Beyond the unlikely fates of death or major illness of the creator or artists, there are no notable risks for a project of this size. Upon the completion of this campaign, the artists will be given the green light to start their work and writing will be finished and sent off for final edits. The expected delivery date accounts for all of this work to be completed with extra time for the printing and shipping process to get the final product in the hands of the backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)