Watch Godhood played in one of our gameplay streams:
Abbey Games, the creator of Reus and Renowned Explorers, is back with an all-new single-player god game, Godhood.
As a tribal god, create your own religion, inspire your tribe’s growth, convert unbelievers and become the greatest god of all.
While channeling the titans of yore, such as Black & White and Populous, Godhood sets out to revive the PC strategy god game genre in it’s own unique way: by allowing you to truly craft your own one-of-a-kind religion.
- Craft your religion as a tribal god.
- Choose virtues, vices, rituals and religious dogmas.
- Inspire a group of heroic disciples to spread your will, without direct control.
- Watch your holy temple site grow over generations from an isometric perspective.
- Defeat enemy disciples in ritual conflict to convert worshippers and power up.
- Early Access release planned for May 2019 on PC (Windows / Mac / Linux), priced at €25.
- Full release later in 2019, priced at €30, with post-release content and DLC support planned for years.
To honor the Social Stretch Gods...
- To honor Twi'Xl, goddess of Twitter, retweet this tweet!
- To honor Rednit, god of Reddit, join the Abbey Games subreddit!
- To honor Yutteph, god of Youtube, share the Godhood Kickstarter video!
Unlocked so far:
- FREE copy of Reus for all €20+ backers (received once campaign ends)!!
- FREE copy of Renowned Explorers for all €20+ backers (received once campaign ends)!!
- Wallpapers of all 3 Social Stretch Gods. Find them HERE.
- Forum Avatars of all 3 Social Stretch Gods. Find them HERE.
- In-Game Dedication Statue of Rednir.
CREATE YOUR RELIGION
Be a war god and prove that power is the greatest virtue! Accept treasured sacrifices as a god of greed. Bless harvests as a fertility goddess. Or cleanse body, soul and sinners as a chastity god. Mix and match to create your unique religion.
LEAD YOUR DISCIPLES
Disciples are your most powerful worshippers. They specialize in a class and power up their abilities by performing rituals. Disciples have a mind of their own, and are not under your direct control. Use divine inspirations to sway their actions to your liking. But keep their faith high or they might ignore you... The blasphemous sinners!
Select God Commandments to set what your religion considers a virtuous ideal or a loathsome vice. God Commandments unlock unique temples, rituals and god powers, and alter the personality of your disciples forever.
PREPARE FOR CONFLICT
Disciples can level up stats and abilities by performing rituals. Design these rituals to develop your disciples, and inspire the construction of the elaborate temples to perform these rituals in.
Prove you are the greatest god by defeating rival deities in turn-based rpg combat. You have no direct influence on how disciples choose to fight; instead, prepare them with the right skills to create powerful combos and take advantage of opponents' weaknesses to ensure victory.
Not all battles are won with blades: use wise words, intimidation or even songs to sway your opponent's beliefs.
THE WORLD OF GODHOOD
Send your disciples out to explore the world and convert other tribes. Procedural generation of the world ensures challenging surprises each playthrough. Clash with the Mesoamerican deities that have staked their claims, and explore a mythical world of nature spirits, strange magic and gods.
MAKE IT YOURS
Make your religion truly yours. Design your god. Decide what your worshippers call themselves and what they believe. Customize how they look and dress. Adorn your temples with your symbolic dedications, such as bats, swords, the sun or cats.
The goal of Godhood is to become the greatest god of all. To do so, you must watch over your tribe and inspire them to greatness. Here's how:
Godhood progresses over a series of in-game days which effectively act as turns. Each day your heroic disciples decide how to best spend their time at your temple site. Depending on their character traits and faith in you, they might diligently perform a ritual, laze about, socialize with other disciples, get into fights etc. Only by inspiring their actions will you make sure they act in their own best interests.
Each day, use your divine inspirations and god actions to lead your tribe. With divine inspirations, inspire your disciples to perform the rituals you've designed. These rituals increase their power, gain them unique specializations and provide the tribe with valuable resources.
Divine inspirations are only as strong as your disciples' faith, so do not be surprised when a low-faith disciple ignores or even goes against your divine word. High-faith disciples have a chance of excelling in tasks you inspire them to perform.
To inspire faith, take heed of disciples’ prayers. Violent disciples pray for glorious victory in combat, while tired disciples pray for a well-deserved rest. Make their wishes come true and their faith will soar.
Faith is also increased by your glory. Glory shows how great your worshippers believe you to be; high glory increases disciples' faith and boosts their rituals. Glory fades over time, and once it's gone your godhood will decrease. If your godhood reaches 0 you lose the game
At any time you can choose to send your disciples on a mission to neighboring tribes, to convert that tribe from their false gods and restore your glory.
Your disciples will face off against several teams of enemy disciples; each victory granting rewards and glory. Overpower all enemy teams to convert the tribe. Defeat will lower your disciples' faith, so be careful how far you push them.
Converted tribes will pay tribute, especially if their culture matches your religion, and become a starting point for new missions, allowing you to explore further into the world.
The sacrament is the turn-based conflict in which disciples prove your greatness to unbelievers through physical combat, powerful speeches or even beautiful songs.
You decide the abilities and specializations your disciples have through the rituals you've designed and the choices you've made when leveling them up. But the disciples themselves decide how to best use their skills; you have no direct control over them.
Obtain victory by preparing rituals to power up your disciples, forming combos between your disciples' abilities and taking advantage of enemy weaknesses. Divine inspirations can be used to focus a disciple on using specific abilities, but their faith will determine how effective this proves to be.
Gaining more worshippers increases your 'god level'. At certain levels you may select a god commandment which becomes a focus of your religion. Each commandment has a moral opposite and choosing one will abhor the other. Examples are War & Peace or Greed & Charity.
Commandments change disciples' personalities, turning some into virtuous paragons of the commandment and others into viceful sinners who disagree with the commandment.
Commandments unlock unique structures such as War's coliseum or Greed's gold hoard. Inspire their construction to unlock their powerful rituals. Commandments also unlock new god actions, new ways for you to influence the minds of your worshippers,which open up unique new strategies. War's holy raid god action, for example, inspires the tribe to raid neighboring tribes for loot! Commandments have many more effects, from unlocking special disciple abilities to triggering unique events.
Disciples sometimes argue about how to interpret your commandments. By taking sides, rewarding or punishing your disciples you can further determine the dogma of your religion and unlock even more new tools for you to use.
Develop your playstyle by mixing and matching commandments, expand your temple site and rituals to power up your disciples, keep their faith high so they are ready for their missions, defeat other deities to convert their worshippers and grow your power. Become the greatest god of all.
Godhood's simulation of religion has been a truly unique and exciting design challenge. In Inside Godhood we open up about that design process and go in-depth on the game's systems. We'll continue to post new Inside Godhood's during and after this campaign.
- Inside Godhood 01: Creating your Religion
- Inside Godhood 02: Your Disciples
- Inside Godhood 03: The Sacrament
- Inside Godhood 04: Your Rituals
- Inside Godhood 05: The Mission
- Inside Godhood 06: The Big Idea
We are a small independent Dutch developer, 10 people strong, that has been making strategic management games since 2011. We pride ourselves in making management games for hardcore strategists, whimsical storytellers and newcomers to the genre alike.
We have released two games: Reus and Renowned Explorers, for which we made a bunch of post-release content. Over the years we've established the 'Abbey tone': a combination of colorful and vibrant look and feel with deeply engaging mechanics that take skill and experience to master.
Of course, we've grown and learned a lot since we started so many years ago, and we're continuing to use this experience to make each of our games better than the last.
Since Reus we haven't been able to stop thinking about making another god game. One that truly touches on the role religion plays in human culture, and makes you the creator of your own religion. We hope you'll come to share our vision and help us make it a reality.
Right, I remember Reus / Renowned Explorers!
That's great! A big thanks to anyone that supported our previous games. We hope you enjoyed playing them as much as we enjoyed making them. We've learned a lot of lessons along the way and believe Godhood couldn't have happened without your support and enthusiasm for our games.
We've been working on Godhood for a while now. Development up until an Early Access release has been fully funded and we're working hard to release in Early Access in May 2019. A full release will follow sometime later in 2019.
But our vision for the game is massive. There are as many ideas for interesting religious expression as there are people. In order to allow you to live out your godhood, we want to add as many religious ingredients and mechanics as we can cram into a single game. And for that we'll need your help.
Hitting the funding goal allows us to allocate resources to create all the components required to fulfill one fantasy we've heard fans asking for over and over again: to become an ancient eldritch god with their own dark and secretive cult.
Of course, being an eldritch horror is only one fantasy of godhood. The base game will give you a ton of other options, and if we exceed the funding goal we'll have the resources needed to create even more for you to mix and match into all sorts of unique religions.
Regardless of the success of the Kickstarter, we want to support Godhood for years to come: expanding on its extensive base with all sorts of new systems and religious expressions.
We know that pledging your support now means putting a lot of faith in us. For this we offer you our utmost gratitude, and these rewards as thanks for your support.
- Digital copy of Godhood: This will be delivered to you as either a Steam code or DRM-free through GOG at the game's Early Access release, May 2019.
- Backer-exclusive Holy Site Centers: A visual skin for your Holy Site center to use in-game. The 'Evil' version gets you a nefarious-looking skin as well. They have no gameplay mechanics tied to them, but look real sleek. These will not be made available after the Kickstarter.
- 'Art of Godhood' digital artbook: A Steam code for a beautiful artbook. Go in-depth on the creation process of the game's artstyle, marvel at stunning illustrations, and feast on hidden gems of lore.
- 'Tunes of Godhood' digital soundtrack: A Steam code for the full Godhood original soundtrack. Enjoy the soothing sounds of nature and divinity at your leasure. Take a listen to a preview:
- Alpha & Beta access: We've been running a limited-invites alpha program for Godhood, but with this reward you're guaranteed to be a part of all alpha and beta tests. Take note: We can't guarantee a specific amount of alpha & beta moments until launch; we'll schedule in whatever development demands. They are time limited, and usually last about a weekend.
- 3 Backer-Exclusive Dedications: Three visual skins for dedication statues: 'Kickstarter Backer', 'Golden Rivaleux' and 'Reus Rock Giant'. They have no gameplay mechanics tied to them, but sure look spiffy. These will not be made available after the Kickstarter.
- Name an enemy disciple: Name one of the enemy disciples players will face when they explore the world of Godhood. We'll give you a list of enemy gods. You choose which your character worships, and give them a cool tribal name. We reserve the right to ask you for another name in case its content is not deemed appropriate for the game.
- Design an in-game dedication: Design a dedication statue with us, to be placed in-game! You'll provide us with a couple sentence description or a sketch of the statue and Marlies will work it out to put in-game. Dedications have no gameplay mechanics tied to them. We reserve the right to ask you for another description in case its content is not deemed appropriate for the game.
- Design an adversary deity: Design one of the adversary deities players will face to prove they are the greatest god! You'll select what type of deity they are from a list, then provide us with a name and a couple sentence description, or even a sketch. We'll work with you to make sure the deity fits the world of Godhood. We reserve the right to ask you for another description in case its content is not deemed appropriate for the game.
"I'd love to help out, but have no credit card!"
Hi! Thanks so much for being interested in backing! We will set up a 'late backer' solution after the campaign, so you won't miss out. For this we'll be using PayPal, which will make pledges without a credit card totally possible. We hope to see you then!
Thank you so much!
Whether this is the first time you've heard of Abbey Games, have been with us from our humble beginnings with Reus, or have eagerly traversed all the post-release expeditions of Renowned Explorers, we thank you for enabling us to make the games we, and hopefully you as well, have a passion for playing.
Thank you so much for checking out the Kickstarter. We plan on supporting Godhood with new content and gameplay for years to come, and we hope you'll be a part of that journey.
Risks and challenges
This is our first Kickstarter, but our third large-scale PC management game we release. The game's development is well underway and fully funded up until our Early Access release in May 2019.
Video game development is a turbulent process that can hold unexpected obstacles. This means there is a chance development will take a little longer than planned. If this does happen, we will of course let you know well in advance.
The initial release will be Early Access, in order to give us time to get your feedback, establish a solid base, and then expand that base with new content. We have no projected final release date, as the success of the Kickstarter could actually mean we have more funds to expand the game more than we predict, but we do know we'll be fully releasing Godhood in 2019.
In order to avoid hangups regarding reward delivery, we have decided to not include any physical rewards. Delivering digital rewards will be no problem for us.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)