Middle of Nowhere is an original story based survival/horror game reminiscent of games like Silent Hill. Gameplay videos included! Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on July 2, 2013.
About this project
Middle of Nowhere is an exciting new, original first person survival/horror game which centers around waking up from a car crash in a place you don't know and not being able to remember a thing.
The game is mostly set in an open-area full of caves, shanty-like shacks and other things planned in future development. You have the option to explore while following the story as-well.
The story is well thought out, as you progress, you find out fragments about your past and why you are in the middle of nowhere.
Use various items to remove blockades, heal yourself or top up your flashlight.
Climb different levels of caves, solve puzzles.
Encounter monsters, choose to stand and fight or run away.
The game is well into the beginning development stage with a full list of working/already scripted features, images and soundtrack listed below.
Early development gameplay can be found here! -
I apologize for the slightly laggy game-play in advance, that's one of the reasons i need Kickstarter to get new components for my PC which will make the game the best it can be!
The game is planned to be released for Windows. I will be looking into making the game for Mac and Linux as the Unity engine does support that and i know there is probably a lot of people who would want to play the games on those platforms but Windows will be my main focus for now and Mac and Linux compatibility could come later.
The game will be in the first edition of beta stages within 1-3 months.
- Flashlight: Use this wisely, the battery drains pretty fast, if you have no batteries left, you'll be left in the dark...
- Health system: A complete health system displayed on the upper left corner of your screen. Med-kits or food can be used to regenerate health.
- Stamina system: A regenerative detailed stamina system displayed on the upper left corner of your screen. Once out of breath, movement speed is slowed for a short duration while the player is out of breath.
- Enemy system: An engaging enemy system. When you hit the enemy, it gets more angry, faster movement and attack speed. You can't always win against the enemy but some very effective weapons can be found.
- Combat system: A combat system for each weapon, each has it's own power against the enemy so while you may struggle with a small combat knife, there will be other weapons available to find. Finding good weapons won't be easy.
- Inventory system: Pickup med-kits, weapons, notes all with the mouse click. Using 1,2,3,4,5 switches weapons between a flashlight, combat knife etc... there may even be a gun somewhere...
- Med-kit System: This regenerates a good deal of health for the player.
- Food system: This is similar to a med-kit system except it gives you much less health.
- Energy Drink system: This recovers lost stamina. It's a great resource when running away from the enemy while low on stamina.
- Collectable System: There is a max number of collectables you can find in the Middle of Nowhere. You will be able to see how many you have found displayed on screen.
- Sleep system: A sleep system with a cool-down. Used to recover 25 health, 25 stamina and 25 battery life. This can only be used every 5 minutes. If you have no batteries or med-kits left, this can be a great resource.
- Note system: A note system for engaging into the story even deeper. Find out fragments of information as to why you are where you are.
- Underwater breath system: An unforgiving underwater system. There's items to collect underwater but you have limited time before you run out of breath and your health starts decreasing, can you find them?
- Fall damage system: As simple as it sounds, though, when climbing caves watch your step.
- Locked door and key system: Doors will remain locked until the player finds the key needed. Once found, they can open the door by clicking and dragging the mouse while selected on the door(like Amnesia's system)
- Drag-able boxes, barrels etc...: There will be puzzles that require use of these items.
- Caves: Explore and climb caves, figure out how to reach the next level in the cave, explore.
- Shacks: Lots of shanty like shacks which react with the story. Some have valuable items in. Some you'll have to find your own way in and if you do, you'll most likely find a valuable item.
- Detailed story: A well thought out story that starts out as soon as you start playing.
- Save system: Though the save system is not final, it does work. As it is, the player can save at any time by pressing esc to go to the main menu.
- Menu system: Option to change graphics settings between 6 settings, option to save, option to return to the main menu, option to quit. I plan on adding more to the menu in later development.
- Realistic particles: Realistic fires, mist and smoke to set the ambiance.
- Realistic water: Reflective water.
- Dynamic lighting: Flickering lights
- Wind: Nothing is static. The bushes, flowers and trees all move in the wind.
- Attention to detail: Taking advantage of lots of image effects to make the game look it's best. Depth of field, bloom, anti aliasing are all examples of what i mean.
- Original soundtrack composed by myself: Most people who know me know that I'm a professional musician and composer for film and game. I've been making music since 10 years old, have a great amount of experience and have been a fan of survival/horror games my whole life, especially the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series. A preview of the soundtrack can be found below, if you like Silent Hill or anything similar, you'll love the soundtrack!
- Original sound design created by myself: I also do sound design, I've worked on the sound design for the game Paranormal and know how important it is to horror in particular. You can be sure that the ambiances and sound effects will give you the chills and definitely have you on the edge of your seat.
03. Safe Haven
There's been major work done on Middle of Nowhere since the Kickstarter launch and the game will now be set in a foggy mid-day setting rather then night. Here is a picture to illustrate.
Church and Graveyard:
Monster #1 - First Look:
Car Crash Scene:
Explore the Environment:
Although there are a lot of working features in place, i do plan to add many more or even re-work current ones.
Every-time i add a feature, I will post an update about it and make sure I listen to your feedback.
My favorite survival/horror series of all time is Silent Hill. You can expect a big influence from games like that. For example, the fog, mist, dust and smoke are all included. There may be a rain system, I have one that works great, it's just not decided if I want one or not so I'll elaborate on that at a later date.
I expect to change a lot of the 3D models as nothing you see here in the screenshots is final. I also have plans to change the GUI to something more attractive.
The story will be a well thought out, driven one with the option to explore.
If the funding for this project is successful, I plan to not leave it at just this game alone, I'll be thinking about creating a Middle of Nowhere 2.
Also, I want to make sure I listen to the community, I like to be in touch with you guys and make sure your excited about what I'm doing with that game.
- Better 3D models: I want to find the perfect monster model/s for you guys and then create the perfect sound design to fit it. I also want to buy some better environmental objects such as shacks, possibly high-resolution texture ready etc...
- Better textures: I have some pretty nice textures going in the game already but I'd really like to replace some with some high-resolution replacements.
- Voice acting fees: I'm a really big fan of horror games with voice acting on notes. I want to find a voice actor who can really portray the main characters.
- Unity license fees: In order for me to distribute the game.
- License for software's
- Advertisement fees: I really want to create a game everyone knows about, this is a must for me spreading the word.
- PC hardware: To create a more stable version of the game.
- Testing computers
- Storage space: For all the beta pledges and above, I need to buy storage space for the downloadable beta's.
- Better save system: The current save system works, I'm just not so sure I'm happy with it so I'd like to replace it.
You'll be helping me a great deal and I've included the price of dollars in the pledges just to make things easier.
Other countries do also help just as much as the US or UK, it doesn't stop me giving you the rewards or anything! so if you want to pledge from outside the UK or US, please do so!
I'm a very passionate composer and sound designer. I don't sleep much out of choice because I really love to work and love to be creative!
For a long while now, I've wanted to take up the second job of making a game. Last year, I was going to give it a go but I found juggling between scoring and game making to be quite challenging. However, I've now got into the habit of managing my time better and am very dedicated to this game. Before getting into development of how the game looks, I've taken the time out to learn scripting in unity to a great knowledge. I always make sure the functionality of the game is at most importance and that the systems all work smoothly. There's lots of fully working features in the game already but I'm sure I will add even more depth to that.
As it stands, I'm currently doing everything in this game with the exception of using some excellent free models provided by the Unity community and other sources. The environments are mostly created by myself, the animations, the scripting, the story, the sound and music are all created by me so I'm willing to give this 100% so that everyone who follows this project can have trust in me to deliver the best possible final product.
I plan to have the game out by the end of this year. Sometime between November-December.
- Steam: Once the game reaches beta stages, I will put it on steam greenlight.
- Mod Db
Personal Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AaronWildeMusic?ref=tn_tnmn
Don't hesitate to send me an email with any info or concerns about the project.
If your a voice actor, I may be looking for some!
Have any other questions that you'd rather ask in a forum? ask here - http://crowdfundingforum.com/showthread.php/5277-Middle-of-Nowhere-Survival-Horror-Now-on-Kickstarter!
£5,000 - If we make it to £5,000 I will make the game bigger and better including more locations to visit, a longer story and more variations of monsters, weapons etc...
Risks and challenges
As being a composer is my first job, I have a busy summer ahead of me but I'm a very fast worker and don't plan to stop work on the game whatsoever. However, as this is my second job, if I have to stop work on the game at any point, it will not be for long. Work for me is life and if I'm passionate about something then I'll do it so my promise to you is that, if for any reason there is a delay, I'll make sure it's over as soon as possible.
Idea's and new features will be shared through updates just to make sure I'm connected with the community.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (30 days)