SUPPORT this project if you believe ALL youth need a safe, accepting, empowering Home to live.
WHO WE ARE:
Home O' Hope is the brain/love/dream child of SE Rafferty, MA and Amy Winchester, MA, LPC. Home O' Hope is Colorado's first & only group home specially dedicated to LGBTQ youth in foster care. It is a safe, healing, accepting and empowering platform from where youth transition into independence with the support they deserve, desire & need.
WHY LGBTQ YOUTH IN FOSTER CARE NEED A SEPARATE GROUP HOME:
• Youth enter foster care following physical, sexual and neglectful abuse.
• In a survey of LGBTQ youth in NYC foster care, 56% reported spending time on the streets because they felt safer there than in their foster group or family homes.
• A survey in San Diego indicated that 76% of LGBTQ youth ran away or were removed from foster placements as a result of hostility toward their sexual orientation or gender identity.
• In the same survey, 74% of LGBTQ youth reported prejudicial treatment, harassment and threats after disclosure of sexual orientation or gender identity.
HOW WE WILL USE THE MONEY:
Amy and Rafferty have currently logged more than 500 hours over the past 1.5 years building a foundation, making community connections and refining the dream for Home O' Hope to become a reality. Fifteen people have donated their knowledge, expertise and time to ensure that Home O' Hope's foundation is on solid ground. So far, this team has met with County agencies, designed the website and logo, filed for IRS 501(c)(3) status, created policies and procedures, donated art to be auctioned and created some fabulous ides. And so far, all of these steps have been walked for FREE.
Our team has reached the point where money is needed for leveraging. Here’s how:
• IRS application for 501(c)(3) status = $750
• A vehicle large enough to meet state standards = $10,000 - $20,000
• Liability, transportation and worker’s compensation insurance = $15,000
• Down payment on a House = $30,000
• Hiring and training staff members = $40,000
• OVERALL START-UP BUDGET= $90,000
The money raised on www.kickstarter.com will go directly toward raising the rest of the start-up budget. Generally, when big dollar foundations see that the public financially supports an idea, they are more willing to support an idea. YOUR CONTRIBUTION will SHOW foundations that Home O’ Hope and the YOUTH we serve deserve their support. All pledges are completely TAX-DEDUCTIBLE.
So pick your level, pick your prize and PLEDGE today. What we do for these kids will be what you've done for them. It takes a village, good thing we've got the Internet.
Delaney MacInness: Watch out for this emerging artist! She created our video as a senior in high school.
Gus Spheeris: for lots of legal advice because he cares about our mission.
Quetzo Herejk, Andy Rose and KT Colgan: for the logo.
TC Tolbert: for the art and conversations.
The Youth: for the inspiration.
Our Fans: for the motivation.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
Home O’ Hope is a project of On the Path Transitions for Youth, Inc., a start-up non-profit dedicated to providing stability, shelter and services for youth in custody of the Colorado State foster care system by committing to the following principles:
• Safety: Offering therapeutic living spaces that prohibit ALL forms of harassment and discrimination.
• Healing: Offering healing for the entire individual by supporting community building and integration, whole-food nutrition and holistic counseling.
• Acceptance: Healing is possible because acceptance is Real. Where sexual/gender identity is a non-issue, youth can concentrate on developing the skills needed for successful transition.
• Empowerment: Youth reside in an environment that respectfully confronts discrimination and privilege within society, institutions and individuals. Residents will also be provided the opportunity to investigate their own internalized homophobia and discrimination.
• Transition: According to individuals' permanency plans, transition-enhanced programming will be geared toward successful reunification with families, successful adoption or successful emancipation into independence.
- (66 days)