Frequently Asked Questions
Sans-Détour obtained the right to use the Confrontation license internationally from Stellar in 2016.
Confrontation™ - Cadwallon™ - Aarklash™ - are trademarks of Stellar Licensing & Consulting.
They were acquired from Cyanide in 2016, and Cyanide has retained the videogame rights.
Sans-Détour is respectful of rules and laws, including those in the domain of artistic creation.
All artists working for Sans-Détour are always protected by a contract. Moreover, all former Rackham artists have been offered a new contract as part of Confrontation Classic.
Sans-Détour is thus also under contract for the use of the Confrontation license.Last updated:
First of all, we want all player communities across the world to have the opportunity to re-discover this huge miniature game and this incredible offer, and Kickstarter offers an unparalleled exposure.
Besides, a major project like ours needs massive investments. For starters, our team has already been working on this project for over a year; defining the content of the campaign, building the community, contacting manufacturers... in order to revive Confrontation. Then, we will need very specific tools in order to meet the required quality, and the molds still need to be manufactured, both of which represents high costs in time, but also in terms of money.
For all the reasons listed above, the Confrontation Classic project will only be financed if we reach 300 000 € ($369 000). Should we collect more money, we would then be able to add miniatures to the box, for even more fun.Last updated:
The Celebration Pledge is a unique item and an exclusive Kickstarter:
- The Celebration Pledge is limited to 4 000 copies worldwide (including 2 000 Early Birds).
- Its full content will never be available in stores.
- It will never be available as a Late Pledge (including upgrading from an Adventurer Pledge)
- There will never be another Confrontation Classic Kickstarter campaign.Last updated:
All Confrontation Classic miniatures have already been sculpted, which allows us to set a very interesting price. It wouldn’t be fair to ask backers to support that cost. Moreover, as all miniatures are in plastic and produced on a large scale, the costs are manageable, for a better distribution of the game.Last updated:
These starting selections had to fulfill multiple objectives, starting with the fun of discovery and great playability. What we’ve also taken into consideration:
• The best esthetic choices and visual style representative of the faction.
• The variety of gameplay unique to each faction, as each one has advantages which should be used as much as possible during skirmishes.
• The vote of the fans of the Facebook page to the Confrontation Hall of Fame. Their choices have often reinforced our own choices, and in other cases helped us come to a decision.
• The balance of the factions against each other, so that they could face one another in any game combination, meaning exactly 200 duel possibilities! (Approx. 400 points for experienced players).
Finally, each miniature will be playable with the rules for Confrontation Resurrection, coming in 2019!Last updated:
The shipping costs will be recalculated after the end of the campaign. If you order several items and they are to be delivered at the same location, the shipping costs will be regrouped and calculated for a single shipment.Last updated:
It depends on the number of stretchgoals we will unlock during the campaign. The more stretchgoals we unlock, the more miniatures we will have to manufacture, the more time it will take.
At the opening of the campaign, our estimate is that we will need about 18 months to deliver Confrontation - Classic to our backers.Last updated:
A couple months after the end of the campaign, all backers will receive an email inviting them to connect to the pledge-manager (how it works, and how to use it).
The pledge-manager is an application allowing backers to communicate all personal and delivery related information, and more.Last updated:
At the start of the April Kickstarter, the Confrontation Classic box will contain:
- The game rules.
- The 16 factions gathered in a single box, and playable with a pool of points.
- Meaning 178 unique miniatures (with the profile cards included)
- Two complete Battle sets in order to set up 2 simultaneous games, or one 4-player game.
- All the unlocked Stretch Goals (which means currently 41 more minitures !)Last updated:
The Confrontation Classic miniatures will be in plastic. Metal and resin have been discarded from our thoughts for the following reasons: metal, due to its weight, would have dramatically increased the total of shipping fees. Resin requires longer production delays than plastic, which is incompatible with our determination to deliver this project without an unreasonable delay.Last updated:
All of the expertise and advice we’ve received converges into the following
• Make the “bodies” of the miniatures from PVC plastic, which allows for the optimal restitution of details.
• Make the finer parts, such as arms or weapons, from ABS, which insures that these parts will remain straight and solid.Last updated:
We own the masters of the miniatures aka, original sculpts. With those, we are able to engineer molds specialy designed for plastic production.
Why isn't there any sample ? Those molds need time to be manufactured and are really expensive. So you don't produce them unless you are 100% sure of what you will produce.
In conclusion :
- First, we need the resources from the crowdfunding campaing to be able to engineer these molds
- Second, we need to know exactly what miniatures we will have to produce to be able to maximize the production of these molds (each molds can be designed for multiple miniatures so it is important to know exactly how many miniatures you have to produce in the end)Last updated:
- We are working from the original sculpts from Rackham. 3D scanning is optional and we will only use this process for some pieces that are really fragile (The Red Lioness for example)
- But basicaly, thanks to amazing sculpts done back then, we are able to engineer molds directly for the plastic production.
- Some minor modifications might be necessary depending on the miniatures. These modifications can be done directly by the manufacturer (no sculpting is needed at this point)
- Then the molds are manufactured and miniatures cast.
- They are now ready to be packed and shipped !Last updated:
We showed some originals sculpts in Aarklash Post #9
These are the models from which the molds which will be used to cast
the miniatures will be made. You can appreciate the level of detail on each
And in French :
Josselin was in charge of production for the Alkemy Game (along with the editorial part) and when the game was first released it was produced in plastic (PVC. Not the kind we want exacly for Confrontation though).
Sans Detour also chose to work with the very same facilities that produced part of the X-Wing miniatures, CMON projects or Mythic Battles (which quality is the closest to what we want)
So, even if miniatures games is a new area for Sans Detour, we have a bit of intel on how to produce plastic miniatures.Last updated:
Yes – you’ll have to paint the miniatures, as Confrontation Classic is our way of paying homage to the great historical game from Rackham, and it’s obvious to us that we should offer the models the way players discovered them at the time.Last updated:
Yes, miniatures are supplied unassembled and unpainted.Last updated:
We took the decision to keep the historical rules of Confrontation (known as Confrontation 3 with its errata Confrontation 3.5).
Two booklet with the Core Rules will be available into the Battle Set.
Additionnaly, we will offer the complete rulebook and experience rules (Dogs of War, for those of you who already know the game) on our website : confrontation-universe.com
They are downloadable in 5 languages (french, english, italian, german and spanish)Last updated:
Yes they will.
Each miniature of this Kickstarter campaign will get its profile card.
And we are redesigning them. During the campaign we will show you some work in progress so that we can get your feedback.
These cards will be designed so that all players can use them as-is, no matter what language they play in.Last updated:
In order to allow players to use Confrontation Classic models with all Confrontation games as well as with other miniature wargames or boardgames, the event box will contain both types of bases: round and square.Last updated:
Yes, it will be possible in the Pledge Manager to upgrade your Celebration Pledge (ou CB Early Bird) to a Celebration Pledge Resin.
Only Celebration Pledges will allow this option, not the adventurer pledge.Last updated:
Don't see the answer to your question? Ask the project creator directly.Ask a question