UPDATE - Letter from Lead Programmer
First, I want to thank all of you for your support so far. I can't thank you enough for the donations, with your help we will be able to realize the DIVEKICK dream! THANK YOU!
My name is Kevin Francis, and I am the lead programmer with the DIVEKICK project. That being said I want to address some of the concerns I've seen and wanted to lay out our plans for the project, which I believe will clear some things up. We personally believe in being completely transparent with all of you, as it is because of you this game can happen!
The first thing I want to emphasize is that right now you are playing a prototype. This is our fault for not being more clear, but when we say "Get the game out the door," we did not mean exactly what you are playing right now. When we started working on DIVEKICK, we never thought in our wildest dreams it would be as amazing as it is. The problem with this is that we made short-term design decisions when implementing the prototype. This resulted in two challenging situations:
1) We built the game on XNA, which worked out for our initial purposes, but balanced against our end goals no longer fits our requirements.
2) Our code was dive-kicked to hell and back as the project grew in scope. If we stayed with XNA, we'd be rewriting the game anyway...
So, what will your donations be used for and how will we get the most value out of them? Well, the first thing I am going to do is port to Unity. This accomplishes a few things:
1) Unity can release on ALL the platforms we would potentially want to target in the future. So, even though we are using your generous donations to target PC at this time, this also gets us HUGE steps towards other platforms. We do not want to waste a single dollar you guys give us!
2) Gives us a much more robust framework / engine to build off of. This will allow me to get done simple tasks much faster, and work towards expanding the scope of DIVEKICK to the important things such as net play!
3) Access to many add-ons that allow me to re-invent less wheels, and spend more time expanding / polishing the content of the game. This is another thing that your donations will be contributing to.
4) Allows me to redesign the code in order to leverage my development time more efficiently.
Once we are in Unity land, I will explore / implement as many of the following items as the donated money supports. I believe with the power of Unity these will all be plausible additions to the game:
-Character Animations (No longer just one frame for each action!)
-Character Transition States (It should look like you're jumping when you jump!)
-Dynamic backgrounds with layers and animation
-Enhanced UI look and feel
-Enhanced special effects (Kick Factor should look 500% better, among many other things)
-Particle effects (Jump dust as one example)
-Expanded Character Abilities
-New Characters, experimenting with play styles different from anything you've dived or kicked yet!
-Net play, including all the features you've come to expect when playing online!
-A single player campaign, with AI of different difficulty levels.
We want to deliver a product that is worth your money, and we will not settle for anything less than amazing. What you have played so far is only the beginning, and I hope you are as hyped about the future of DIVEKICK as I am in bringing it to you!
Thank you so much already for all the money that you have donated, as it is making it possible for us to bring this amazing game to the community!
Lead Programmer of One True Game Studios