Crypterion - Build your company, power, and legacy!
A Business Tycoon/Visual Novel hybrid about your story, relationships, choices, and becoming rich through trade & investments.
Crypterion - Build your company, power, and legacy!
A Business Tycoon/Visual Novel hybrid about your story, relationships, choices, and becoming rich through trade & investments.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Sat, August 31 2019 2:46 PM UTC +00:00.
Update 8/12/19: A thank you gift from Astra
Crypterion is a nostalgic re-imagining of the classic business simulation game Gazillionaire. At it's core, It's a Business Sim / Tycoon. It has a story with the depth of a visual novel filled with many interesting characters and character development. Meet a variety of alien inhabitants from different worlds and amass a fortune. Every time you play, it's different.
But what is a game about acquiring mass riches if you don't have a way to spend it? Spend your riches on items in the game including: new ships, gifts for companions, technology, trade permits, concept art, auctions, and even planets.*they are expensive.
To create a visual novel truly unique to the genre, we followed these three pillars::
Your company starts with a basic cargo ship and a large debt of Cryptos (the default currency) from a loanshark called SpaceBit Holdings. All paths that lead to victory are about you becoming rich through: Coin market exchanges, trade, commerce, & investments.
- Cargo Ship - The basics of business include cargo delivery and passengers which I talk more about later. There are 4 ship classes: C,B,A, and S. And you'll be able to create a company name.
- Protagonist of your own Story - Crypterion brings you into the game as it's main character. You can customize more than your hair and eye color. What are your likes and dislikes? Have you had a traumatic past experience which has shaped who you are today? NPC's will recognize these characteristics and respond to them. I like the character creation system in Conqueror A.D. 1086. We take a streamlined approach and ask you some questions. Crypterion also keeps track of any battle scars or physical appearance changes that happen to you.
The galaxy map provides travel to authorized Trade Routes, additional information about the planets in your star system and who owns them. That's right, you can buy planets. Each planet requires the appropriate trade permit in order to deal goods. When visiting a planet you have many options.
- Planet details - It is wise to check if a planet is undergoing a catastrophe before attempting to land. Other details can help direct your business strategy.
- Space Station - The space station is a specialized area that gives you 4 new areas to explore. You can meet with the Empress (who is the highest galactic power), go to auctions and bid on planet facilities, view a gallery of purchased goods, and have fun with entertainment options. You may even find rare merchants who will only talk to you if you are rich enough.
- Phone calls - Local authorities may call you from the galaxy map. Even long distant friends if you have any.
Two types of events happen while traveling between planets. Quick events and story events This helps break up the repetitive nature of buying and selling cargo. Let's go through all the variables that come into play.
- Card System - We use a card system that shuffles a plethora of different encounters you can have. You'll come across aliens, ships, anomalies, and disasters of all kinds. Quick events have 3 levels of difficulty: Green | Yellow | Red
The majority of the time these events are disastrous. It's like the board game "The Farming Game." If you've ever played that, it seems something bad always happens to get you further and further in debt. So challenging, so fun!
- Story Events - During the main story you will come across events that are more elaborate in the way they play out. NPC's will talk with you and you'll be able to build relationships. The conversations will have branches and different abilities can be gleaned from them.
- Confidence Level - Success and failure rate for events is not 50/50. As a new captain, you don't have much experience. The more you fail, the faster you learn from your mistakes to increase your success chance.
- Ship Officer - Once you acquire a ship officer, you'll have the option of letting them handle the encounter for you. Their chance of success may be higher or lower than yours. If you train them well, there abilities may even surpass yours.
- Rare Crew - If you get lucky, you may encounter a rare crew card. These allow for specialized crew members to work aboard your ship.
- NPC's - A variety of different characters populate Crypterion in various rolls.
- Officers (Companions) - Are much different than crew-mates you hire to work aboard your ship. Companions are NPC's you meet under unusual circumstances that drive the story forward. It's more appropriate to call these officers companions because of the relationships you build with them. ---- Building a company takes years to accomplish and it will be nice to have someone that shares your burdens, watches your back, and grows along side you.
- The Companion System - Below are companion details:
You spend much of your game time with your ship officer. It gives the feeling that you are playing the game with someone who becomes a friend. They are sensitive to what you say and your dialogue choices. You grow in status with them. (stranger, trust, friend, etc...) As ship officers, they help your company thrive and take the lead during events.
- Companions have traits & abilities.
- They enhance "End Game" content.
- Have a unique story behind them so much that it affects the gameplay. For example: Because of her origin, Astra is emotionless. She develops "personalities" and "emotions" based on your interactions with her.
- You can gift them equipment or items to use that reveal new abilities.
- Outfits purchased from the in-game shops change their appearance.
- Company Leaders - Yours is not the only company gaining money and power. Many major players are already well established. These three are: Spacebit Holdings | Darksun Inc. | Supreme Empress. Their power is not stagnant. For example, as you pay taxes, your money goes to the Empress. As you borrow loan money and pay it back, your interest on that loan goes to Spacebit Holdings.
Each planet has a different atmosphere. Be it a biome of ice, desert, thriving metropolis, or smog filled rainy planet. You control your business from the planet HUB. The interface allows for you to perform your actions quickly. I'll break it down into pieces.
- Captain & Crew - Tracks details of specialized crew members and ship officers.
- Ad Campaign - Spend money on advertisement for passengers and commodities: Paper Media, Streamlined Goods, Radio, Drones, Smart A.I., Television, Social Media, and Digital Ads.
Pick up passengers, and set ticket prices for your next stop. But don't spend too foolishly. You may pay a premium for passenger advertisement, but if your company reputation is not up to standards, nobody will want to ride on your ship regardless.
- Cryptos Market - From here you can buy and sell Cryptos coins. They have replaced paper money in the future.
Each planet has a coin type which represents it. Big money can be made from trading coins if you have the patience and know when to buy and sell.
- Galaxy Map - Initiate FTL travel between planets
- Marketplace - Most of your week-to-week income comes from goods and trade.
The same principle to coins applies to goods. You want to buy bulk at a low price and sell at a premium. Buying and selling is quick, and you are able to mark the planet best for business. Occasional famines & plentiful harvests can change the value of your goods.
- Treasury - The treasury or "Vault" area is detailed below.
We wanted to bring to Crypterion the same concept of "Treasury" that you get in games such as Fable 3 & Overlord. That applies to both the game and the anime. Nothing is more satisfying than hoarding a ton of money and coming home to bask in your treasures. Crypterion has three types of treasure.
- Coin Piles - Represented by your available funds. Remember the screenshot above with the 10,000,000?
- Investments - Relics of the past and future. An ancient sword, a valuable painting, treasure chest, a flawless ruby.
If your coins start to touch the ceiling, consider investing in these items that will beautify your vault and increase your reputation. Sell them again if you're in a tight pinch for money.
- Artifacts - The most sought after items in the game are artifacts. They are so rare and valuable just having one in your possession makes you a target by raiders, assassins, and rival companies. The main story revolves around these items of power. They have actual abilities that help your company dramatically. *We are not showing you all of them for spoiler reasons.
- Star Rating - There are a couple different ways in which your companies reputation and power is displayed. There is a power rating bar, and a star rating. Having lots of money and exposure through the media room can boost your company power. Having a high company rating changes some dialogue options and you'll fill passengers on your ship more efficiently without much advertisement.
- Entertainment Business - To get a boost in company reputation, consider scheduling a T.V. appearance. Make sure you are informed so you don't make a fool of yourself during an interview. These are special events that only happen once.
Special Host "Sunny Dae"
Three decades before your story begins, an ice planet called Iclantia is dying. The civilization that inhabited the planet were highly advanced, but not able to stop the coming catastrophe that would wipe out their civilization.
What we know from historians is that in an effort to save their dying planet, the Iclantians created what is known as Comets.
The Iclantians crafted these time capsules of rock and ice, mixed with technology, to form pods to launch into space. Once discovered, the pods open to reveal a treasure within. They contain the heritage of their civilization: From technology, to history, toys, art, and even weapons.
In the story of Crypterion, players find their place in a cluster of suns known as the Rimshot Galaxy. You start in the Remnos system which is home to a variety of alien species. The Remnos system has prospered from the discovery of the comets. The Empress herself came into power because of one such item.
By learning the laws of business you can succeed. Money is everything and you'll need it to survive. Over time, you will unravel the secret and the lies behind the comets.... and maybe... you'll become an even greater power than the Iclantians.
- Dialogue Choices - All actions in Crypterion happen quickly. From: market purchases, quick events, advertisement, loans... Things slow down when dialogue is involved. This is because we focus on "doing" over "telling". Or rather, we've mixed the two. Story based events only happen once. Quick events repeat. When a story based event happens, you have many choices that affect the next story event.
- Time - Time is important and is tracked from the planet HUB.
You'll spend months, and even years running your company in Crypterion. Travel time between planets is a week.
At the end of each year a special event takes place. These ad like banners appear in pieces until the years end, and it's fun to anticipate what they will be. These events only happen once and occur at the Space Station. If you miss them you miss them forever. Time keeps on ticking.
- Visual Novel - Expect the dialogue to behave like a visual novel. Characters interact and look at you. There are special scenes / cut-scenes that occur at the right time for you to enjoy. Expect rivalries, romances, tragedies, and hopefully moments that make you laugh and cry.
- Merchants - Specialty merchants appear infrequently to sell rare goods.
- Black Market - There is one of these. To talk about it brings death.
- Shops - Our shop system is part of the mid to end game content.
Manager "Mr. Mouse"
I remember a funny line from a Simpsons Episode. Why earn so much money without a chance to spend it! These shops have content crucial to company growth during the early-mid game, but there are items valued in the millions that you'll have to save up for late game. The Kickstarter gives us the opportunity to add to the end game shop the items you really want.
Auction House - The auction house contains rare commodities sold by the other factions/companies in the game. It may also contain items created and submitted by fans of Crypterion for other players to enjoy.
The value of auctioned goods can be small or large in the millions. If you bid strategically, you can fool other bidders and get a good deal. You can bid up to any amount and even take on a great deal of debt to get the item you want. Sometime you will want to do that, because you only get one chance. Once an auction ends, you will never see that item again.
Auction goods include:
- Planets - End game content
- Fan Art - From us and submitted content
- Planet Facilities - Buildings on planets with passive benefits
- Rare Artifacts - Best items in the game and most expensive. Have passive benefits.
- Random stuff - Not related to the above categories
Kickstarter Reward Details:
- Chibi Astra - Get one of the available companions, Astra, in chibi form.
- Steam Key - Receive a digital copy of the game when it's released.
- Alpha and Name in Credits - Invite to Crypterion closed alpha. Give development feedback. You're name in the credits including your roll in event creation, alien sponsorship, crew member participation or fan art submission.
- Digital Art Book - Contains the hand drawn art and concept art of Crypterion & Omni Link.
- Physical Art Book - Physical version of the digital art book with slight changes if needed.
- T-shirt and Poster - Official poster and a T-Shirt of Crypterion.
- Event Creation - Be part in creating events for all players. Most events are encounters unless you selected to sponsor an alien or be a crew member.
In Crypterion, we have a deck of cards and one is randomly selected during encounters. With this tier you get to add your customized event to the game (with some limitations).
Events work differently for Kickstarter backers of a higher tier. For those that are designing an alien encounter or crew members.
- Design an Alien Encounter - Designing an alien encounter or "sponsoring an alien" means your event changes from being a standard green / yellow / red disaster. This alien will interact with other players in dialogue and be part of the encounter. You choose a name (must be approved). You may submit a sample sketch for us to go by if you have a fun idea or give a description in detail what he/she looks like. (Must also be approved)
Your character will have opportunities to appear outside of encounters in other places in the game. They also may be part of encounters that only happen once as part of the main story. In any case, the typical encounters while traveling the vast universe will be enriched.
- (You) as a Specialized Crew Member - Is exactly what it sounds like. You become a specialized crew member aboard peoples ships. These crew members can only be discovered during encounters and add a permanent bonus to company skills. Just about every player in Crypterion will be seeking after your skills.
Let's get to the details:
- First pick a class: Cook, pilot, engineer, merchant, security agent, jester, smuggler, spy, whatever you come up with...
- Your class pick helps with your look. You can submit a picture of yourself or submit a sketch of an original character you've drawn. Our artist will draw an interpretation of your idea or sketch to bring that character into the game. How cool is that! You don't have to be human, you can be alien or have your face covered, or a machine. [IMPORTANT] If your original character is used, we are given full rights through an agreement to use this character in the game.
- Next pick your name. How much does it cost to hire you? What passive benefits do you give the ship?
- cook (-5% crew wages)
- pilot (5 points towards battle encounters)
Your character will have opportunities to appear outside of encounters in other places in the game. They also may be part of encounters that only happen once as part of the main story. You may have choice-based dialogue with them :) In any case, you have a chance someone will encounter and hire your character as part of their crew.
We appreciate any help you can give in promoting the Kickstarter. When community goals are reached. Kickstarter Backers at $20 tier or above receive an additional copy of the game when it is officially released. Even better... Kickstarter Backers at $30 tier receive a second closed alpha game invite to give to a friend.
- Steam Wishlist: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1048860/Crypterion/
- Facebook Shares: Personalize and share a message about the Kickstarter with a friend. https://www.facebook.com/Roencia-Game-Creators-124802927607986/
- Crypterion Video Views: Simply watch the video on the Kickstarter page and share with friends for unique views to reach the goal.
- Twitter Retweet: Retweet this tweet or send your own about the game and Kickstarter. https://twitter.com/Roencia/status/1156225738988613632
- Share with Youtubers, reddit, related forums and give them a link to this page. Tell them to message us at for closed alpha keys! Keywords related to this game include: business, tycoon, anime, romance, story-rich, education, nostalgic, arcade, science fiction, choices.
- Incorporating you're creativity as part of the adventure - During a certain stage of development, we will be ready to upload personal Kickstarter reward art/content into the game, but there is more.
Any fan art submitted to the game will be considered for placement in our in-game galleries, black markets, planet stores, treasury, and auctions. Players can purchase with their mass riches (Cryptos coins) your lavish and overly priced items.
Submission of art for now is done through Kickstarter message system. I'd like links for download. Please send a personal message if you need help with delivery. I will accept submissions at any time during development.
These are some examples of art that qualify:
- Fan art of Crypterions characters and NPC's
- Crypterion characters in alternate costumes
- Space themed pictures with plants, starts, nebula's
- Scenes depicting moments in the game, space travel, encounters, disasters, characters interacting with each other, etc...
* With the release of the closed alpha, you'll experience the game interactions which will help with ideas.
- Coop Multiplayer - The foundation for coop play in Crypterion was built from the beginning of development. Marketplace trade, loans, and other variables for a second player was added the same time as player 1. The tricky part is integrating the amount of dialogue necessary to fit player 2 with the story. This is a lengthy process
- Our plans include: (dependent on time and funding)
1) Integrating a second player seamlessly with story dialogue
2) Coop players may interact with companions and have one of their own
3) Players can become loan agents and help each other out of debt
4) Players headed to the same planet can cross paths and participate in joint events
- Fully Voiced Characters - An epic adventure deserves a fully voiced cast. Our project funding will decide if we can hire the best female and male artists that fit our characters.
- iOS and Android ports (mobile devices) - Crypterion is built for mobile devices. The game is perfect for touch screens. Crypterion is very much fun to play in spurts on-the-go.
- Deeper companion customization - You spend a lot of time with companions. Years of game time. We have an interface for them with general details, relationship status, and inventory. We'd like to expand this so that you can customize your companions look with alternate outfits and make that process easier.
End Game Content
- Late game is very important in Crypterion. These are development plans already in the works. The years of building your company, building relationships, paying off debts, and acquiring treasures will pay off in the end. After you complete a main story path...
- Plans include:
1) Spending your money - In 6 different shops, black markets for rare goods, planets and facilities, fan art, concept art, treasury decorations, companion gifts, and outfits, and even buying fan art "you" the player submit to the game. *How fun is that! What we add for you to spend your Cryptos on can grow indefinitely.
2) Growing in power - Your company's power is tracked in two ways. A 5 star rating like a restaurant, and a "Power Rating" bar measured against the other major factions. We want you to feel powerful once you have the best ship, most money, and influence. People will love you when you appear on T.V.
3) Collections, Achievements, & a gallery - To make sure you've acquired everything the game has to offer, we have achievements, a private-collection-type gallery of all art you've purchased, and an general inventory for purchased items that you use in dialogue and other situations.
Eldon - (a.k.a. Roencia). I'm the lead designer of Crypterion. My goal is to make the player a part of the story in a meaningful way. I also designed all the rooms and planets you visit. I'm looking forward to the possibilities this Kickstarter can bring.
Gofelem - (a.k.a. Marfrey Landicho). I'm the main artist for the game responsible for 2d art such as character illustrations, CG scenes, inventory items, emotes, 2d background illustration, and etc.
Risks and challenges
The greatest risk for any game is hoping it will be fun in the end! I can happily say that Crypterion meets that requirement. It is different and surprising... even to us as we are making it. We keep thinking of new ideas and finding ways to add new features. It has depth yet plays so easily it will make for a fantastic mobile game.
Up to this point, we've put our free and not-so-free time and money into the game. We came to a point where further improvements are not possible without outside help. We want to experience the game fully voiced and expand upon the game with Coop play and other expensive time consuming ideas. Also the port to mobile devices as mentioned.
We knew we needed your trust, and that is why we took the game (alpha-stage) most of the way to finish. All the ideas and details described in the Kickstarter are already in the game. Check the F.A.Q/Game updates for more details. The game is awaiting an increase in content, story, balancing, and bug fixes.
We promise to be transparent with development and post regular updates through the Kickstarter and on the blog. Contact us if you have any questions.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter