Welcome to the "Plight of the Tuatha" Kickstarter!
Plight of the Tuatha is the first series of modules compatible with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game created by Mór Games. Set in the Imperiums Campaign Setting, these four modules allow the players to explore the richly detailed world as they endeavor to save the village of Iria from destruction by the brutish and violent Fomoire.
These modules are set within the Imperiums Campaign Setting, however they are designed to provide story hooks which can be attached to any setting you prefer.
The players will take on the roles of noble heroes who begin the series working to protect their small hometown. Their task is more dangerous than it seems as they will quickly be drawn into an ancient conflict between the ancient Tuathan de Danann, quietly living under their trees and hills, and the powerful, vicious, and all-consuming Fomoire. The players must choose a side with care; the outcome of their decision could bring sweeping change to the Tir Ydrail, the Imperium, and the rest of the known world!
Our setting launch will include 4 products.
The Feast Hall of Ash -- This introductory module is meant for 2nd level characters. After stumbling across a threat to their village, your group must navigate a conflict between the courts of two elusive Fey. Only those with sharp minds and swift blades will be able to decide the fate of the Feast Hall of Ash and protect the village of Iria.
Vasily's Woe -- If the land of Tir Ydrail is to survive the incoming flood of invaders, new magic must be created to help shield against the evil god of the Ostmen. The key to those magics is shrouded in a horrific mystery on the shores of the far off Issian Peninsula. The players must untangle the knot of magic, murder, and intrigue, but be warned: there are reasons why few choose to travel in the Southern Avitian Empire.
Dark Sails and Dark Words -- The port city of Chandegar is the gateway from the Avitian Empire to the rest of the world. Within the maze of this bustling metropolis a wizard has penned arcane sigils able to fuel powerful binding magics. Without these sigils, Tir Ydrail will fall. Can you track this wizard down before the Fomoire and their agents sniff out his trail? The fate of your homeland hangs in the balance!
A Coming Storm -- Powerful magic has been forged from the Sigils of Chandegar and the Elixer from the Issian Peninsula, but a new menace threatens Tir Ydrail. Black clouds gather on the horizon and supernaturally strong winds endanger all in their path. The storm seems to be controlled by the new inhabitants of an ancient abandoned tower. Has a long-forgotten race come out of hiding to reclaim their stronghold, or are forces yet more sinister working to bring the downfall of the Tuatha?
What's new in the modules?
These modules contain tons of material that can be found nowhere else. In the first two modules alone you will find:
- New creatures: There are more than 20 new creatures contained in these modules. Each new monster comes complete with background, statistics, and player-knowledge DC.
- New magic items: Nine unique magic have so far been created for these modules. Each entry includes the item's abilities as well as flavor text which describes its in-setting history.
- New art: Every piece of artwork in these modules will be created specifically for this series by an industry professional.
- New lore: All cities, NPCs, creatures, and magic have been given detailed backgrounds. The modules contain enough information to help new game masters keep up with their players, while also allowing room for more practiced game masters to adjust the setting to the preferences of their players.
- Optional Rules: New optional rules, such as Emergence Traits, allow players to further personalize their characters based on their roleplaying. Other rules, such as the non-combat challenge Storyteller Game and "Calling on Experience" can help a less-experienced party survive some of the deadly encounters.
We have passed our first Stretch goal! As I promised, each backer who is receiving at least one module (print or PDF) will now receive the Campaign Conversion Guide as a PDF for free! But if you are like me you also like having a physical book. Pledge $7 more than your tier and after the Kickstarter ends, you can choose to have a full color softbound copy of the Campaign Conversion Guide sent along with your modules. And to reward you for backing this Kickstarter I am offering this guide at basically the price it will take to print and ship.
- $7- Softbound full color copy of the Campaign Conversion Guide.
Where we are in production
The first two modules, "Feast Hall of Ash" and "Vassily's Woe", have been written and play-tested with several groups. As of the Kickstarter launch the third module is halfway through the writing stage and the fourth has been planned out. The first two modules average 38,000 words a piece, which is just shy of 50 pages of solid text, not including any art, maps, or formatting space. In writing these modules we have used Adventure Paths for The Pathfinder Roleplaying Systems as a guide to determine the length of each module. While the length may vary after editing the texts, we have made it a priority to stay near to the 50 page mark, so that players and GMs have all the information they could want to help run an exciting session.
We have received some preliminary sketches for some of the pieces, but we need the funds to pay for full-color finished versions of their work. Upon the completion of a successful Kickstarter, the artists are ready to move forward.
Why we need funding
While some funds have already been applied to this project, with Kickstarter funding we will be able to add more art from our artists, have the texts professionally edited to raise the quality of the writing, increase the quality of the layout for easier use, print the modules in full color and have the books professionally bound.
While we have the funds for most of the cover art, more funding is needed to ensure that we can have access to the tools to turn a text from simple words on a computer screen to a professional quality product.
We at Mòr games are exited about the Imperiums Campaign Setting and we want to get it into your hands as soon as possible!
We are lucky to be working with Dean Spencer, who has provided art for Paizo, and Carolina Eade, who has done work for Paizo and FFG; their skills will bring an amazing visual dynamic to these adventures.We have received some preliminary sketches for some of the pieces, but we need Kickstarter funds to pay for fully rendered versions of their work.
Game Design Philosophy
-William Moomaw, Head Writer
When I have played modules in the past, I have often felt that the stories felt flat. While other modules did help spur some story ideas, I always found myself wishing for more. Important NPCs were given bland backgrounds, locations and magic items felt generic, and the adventures themselves often failed to excite or inspire. When I was a beginning GM, I wanted better tools that I could use to help tell my own stories.Those early experiences informed the way that I approached writing these modules. Without helpful tips on how to adjust a module due to players actions or suggestions on how to increase tension or excitement, it took me far longer to learn the skills that I needed to be a GM. I took bland adventures as a guide for how not to approach storytelling with the players in my games.
To help new GMs find their feet, and to entice more experienced GMs with the setting:
- I have written an immersive story in a layered world.
- I have included optional paths within the modules so that players are not restricted to a linear story.
- I have added signposts to the text to help gamemasters navigate this highly detailed world.
- For people who enjoy approaching situations in a non-combative manner, I have included options for resolving challenges using skills, roleplaying, and interacting with the world set before them. While there is plenty of innovative combat to satisfy the more battle-ready characters and players, I made it a priority to provide options for gaining experience points and leveling characters through alternative roleplaying opportunities.
$2000- If we reach this level we'll produce a 24 page PDF Conversion Guide to the Imperiums Campaign Settings. The conversion guide will include:
- New optional rules, including the Emergence characteristics, which could be added to any existing character.
- Detailed descriptions of the major cultures found within the Imperiums Campaign Setting.
- A new class called the Following, a secret religious sect devoted to law and order.
- A new playable race: The Fomoire. Brutish and bestial, these raiding sailors have been changed by the worship of their god.
$2750 - At this level we will be able to order more art from our artists! New half page pieces will be added to the modules to help show the depth of the Imperiums Campaign Setting.
$3250 - Once we reach this goal all backers receiving physical copies of the modules will also receive handouts from the modules produced solely for this Kickstarter campaign. Instead of reading the text of letters from the module, or photocopying black and white pages of a journal, you'll be able to impress your players by giving them handouts we have produced for you. (Backers receiving only PDF versions will not be sent these pre-produced handouts)
The following is a small portion of the text from "The Feast Hall of Ash". This text has not been formatted nor has it gone to our editor yet, but it will give you an idea of the writing within the modules.
The Cage - Night Passes
The PCs find themselves in a cage along with a badly injured elf. The elf is battered and bruised and, by the fresh blood on his injuries, looks to have been captured recently. His tunic and pants are stained and torn. He states his name is Philiandrius and claims to be a wizard.
Philiandrius will also take this time to talk to the PCs, answering any questions that they may have and inquiring as to how they were captured. Below are some details that he will freely share with the PCs.
- The elf that was sacrificed was his brother Lithaldoran. They were captured while gathering spell components in the forest nearby. Since they were surprised by the Fomoire, Philiandrius was only able to cast a single fireball spell before being knocked unconscious. His fireball killed a Fomoire chieftain and several other Fomoire, but the ambush found him with few combat spells prepared. He and his brother were knocked unconscious and taken prisoner.
- Philiandrius is a wizard of some skill. He still has spells memorized; however the Fomoire have stripped him of spell components after they knocked him unconscious.
- The Fomoire Ostmen and the Tuathan Elves have been enemies since the Tuatha's arrival in this land near the beginning of recorded time. However the elves have been able to hide from the Fomoire until the past few years. The Tuathan Elves are desperate to know how the Fomoire are now able to find them.
- The ritual the PCs witnessed obliterates the spirit of those sacrificed. Fomoire have started to use this ritual to destroy the souls of the sacrificed elves utterly.
- Battle between the elves and Fomoire is becoming more common. The elves foresee the ebbing of their fragile power and are desperate to find something that could help turn the tide in their favor.
- Philiadrius would aid the PCs in the defense of their village if they were to help him escape.
If the PCs engage Philiandrius and find out any of this information, award them with 100 xp.
The cage is watched carefully as the night begins to pass. Since the cage is out in the open, all of the PCs actions are easily observed, however they can easily observed all that is going on in the camp. If the PCs speak Fomoire, they can gather enough information from the camps conversations to learn the Ostmen’s plans. Have the PCs make a Perception roll to determine what they are able to learn. Award that PC 50 xp if they make a successful Perception roll.
DC 10 - Ostmen are going to give the PCs to the Ostmen priest so that the priest can learn the strength of the PCs village. They will be interrogated and sacrificed tomorrow night.
DC 15 - This Ostmen camp is a scouting camp. Two Ostmen longships are sailing down the river to join this group to raid the village of Iria.
DC 20 - The two longships of reinforcements will arrive in three days time. Many of the Fomoire in camp are preparing to sail down river tonight to lead the warrior ships to camp. A day after the longships arrive the group will attack the village.
DC 25 - A group of five Ostmen plus the priest will stay in this camp till the others return.
Who We Are
Mór Games is a small company, but we are passionate about this campaign setting and the stories that have been told within. This setting has been crafted over 15 years of play and we felt that it was time to share these adventures with the world. In the future we plan to bring you even more from the Imperiums Campaign Setting. Look for:
- An Imperiums Campaign Setting guide filled with new races, classes, and mechanics to take your game to the next level.
- Adventure Path style modules that change the face of the setting.
- Website for fans of the setting to congregate and tell stories.
International shipping is available, but in order to help you save cost on shipping fees, all physical items that you receive from your backer level will ship at the same time. In some cases this may mean that the shipment of physical items may be delayed until all items are ready to be shipped. Any PDFs that are part of your backer level will be sent to you as they are produced.
Risks and challenges
Though the creation of this text is already well underway and artists are confirmed and working on the artwork, delays can happen in any project. This is one reason we have spread the artwork for this project across several different artists. If unfortunate circumstances arise we are well prepared to adjust the workloads to help insure the product is released on time.
Also, while we have settled on a printer for the text, we have also had conversations with other printers so that, should the need arise, moving the printing to another vendor can occur with less up front work. Though we are confidant with our chosen vendors, back up plans for vendors at every level of production have been considered so should a transition become required by the needs of the project, such transitions should happen smoothly with little effect on the proposed shipping dates for the finished modules.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)