About this project
A huge THANK YOU to all the backers who made this project possible.
Everyone is also listed and thanked on my website including those who gave me cash and paypal payments.
"Children of the Wise Oak" is the first book in a planned series of nine historical fantasy books.
In a real historical setting overlaid with fantasy elements. The main characters have magical powers; a few are able to transform into certain animals.
This first story focuses on three young brothers of the Durotriges tribe. It is part 'coming of age' story and part quest. It introduces the 'Wise Oak' mages (Druids; known as "Deru-weidi" in the story)
While some of the Deru-weidi can perform quite powerful magic they are sworn to protect their secrets and preserve life; this means they can't just breeze in and blow away their enemies with fireballs, and sometimes they must chose between breaking an oath or death itself.
It would appeal mostly to fans of books like Harry Potter, Arthurian/Merlin legends, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, and anyone with an interest in history and all things Celtic.
The funds raised will be spent on four main areas
- 1. Professional copy editing and line editing to ensure the text is an enjoyable and error free read.
- 2. Cover art and design. I have engaged an artist to create a painting from which the cover design will be created.
- 3. Printing the actual books. This cost will vary slightly according to how many books are required from the pledges.
- 4. Setting up ISBN for this and subsequent titles. You need a separate ISBN for hardback and paperback editions and there will be nine books in the series, so I will be setting up 100 numbers as this works out a lot cheaper than 1 or 10 in the long run.
I am using local suppliers wherever possible.
- The cover artist is Iver Klingenberg, who is based in Porlock, Somerset. Some of his work can be seen here, and I have also seen some samples including excellent trees and animals which will be a feature of the cover.
- Proof-reading will be carried out by a freelance editor in Bishop's Nympton, and may be double checked by another firm based in Ilfracombe.
- Printing will be carried out by Short Run Press in Exeter, established in 1981 and with a reputation for high quality at a competitive price.
Risks and challenges
Having already published three books on Amazon Kindle, as well as turning those into physical paperback editions via Createspace, I already have experience of self publishing.
The Wise Oak series is however a more serious undertaking for which I decided to take a highly professional approach using paid editing services to ensure an error free text, and a professional artist to create the cover design. Hence the appeal of a Kickstarter project to finance it.
I already have a complete manuscript and have lined up the editor who will ensure there are no silly mistakes in the finished book. They are local to me so I can visit if need be to ensure the project progresses smoothly
The printing will be handled by a short run print company who are also located nearby.
I have engaged the artist who will paint the cover design which will then be scanned digitally for use on the finished book. There should already be a rough sketch of the final artwork available before funding is complete.
Having already self published books before via Amazon Kindle, I am not taking a complete leap into the dark. I have dealt with proof-reading and publishing layout issues on previous occasions, and the only really unfamiliar territory is sorting out the ISBN which appears to be a fairly straightforward process.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)