This project's funding goal was not reached on February 28, 2013.
About this project
For Christmas, I received my grandfather's journals which detail his explorations throughout the Utah wilderness in the 1960s. My hope is to one day create an entire video series where I follow the trips he took. However, my goal right now is to create an introductory episode which will have three main objectives:
1) Introduce Judd Thomas (my grandfather),
2) Hunt for the buried family heirlooms rumored to have been left behind on his old property by means of metal detecting and Ground Penetrating Radar (and other resources as they become available)
3) Complete an episode worthy of your support which will encourage sponsoring of further episodes.
I want to show general audiences through this project that:
1) Family history is much more exhilarating when taken beyond the limits
of family search databases,
2) They too can connect in real ways with ancestors who have gone before them.
The following is very strong evidence in favor of the theory of the buried heirlooms:
Judd, since his youth, has been exposed to exciting finds. One example is when
his father (Dan Thomas) uncovered an entire mammoth skeleton in their front
yard in 1937. This experience certainly played a part in my grandfather’s future
2) At one point he hid a silver dollar, along with a history of the property, inside one of the walls of the home. This was recovered when the house was demolished. This shows his nature to leave treasures for his posterity.
3) His son and niece have both shared very strong memories of grandpa Judd telling them of the family heirlooms on the property that have never been recovered.
This project is a thrilling treasure hunt that will help bridge the gap between present and past. I am excited for your contribution because I believe this project has great potential to inspire and entertain. I have recently captured my first footage and it has given me confidence that this film will be also be very moving.
Funds will be used for:
Needed equipment (the GPR can be a bit pricy to rent. This could be where the bulk of the expenses go)
Post Production (editing, etc.)
Risks and challenges
I foresee two risks or challenges of this video:
The treasure we seek may not be there. However, I feel very confident that there will be something special to find on his property and I have direct access to state-of-the art subsurface imaging equipment.
This is my debut film. Everyone has to start somewhere. I feel like the idea is strong and I have a creative mind. There is nothing to fear. I will be able to create this film in a creative and timely manner. The end result promises to be entertaining, heart-warming, and exciting. I have some great mentors who will help me along the way. I expect to be done with post-production by July 2013.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (35 days)