Slightly Exaggerated is a new comic book series by Curtis Clow (writer), Pius Bak (artist) and Toben Racicot (letterer). It's a mature treasure hunting fantasy adventure. In Slightly Exaggerated a dying girl must steal back a sacred artifact from a crazed cult leader in a world where religion is law. It's set in an over the top whimsical fantasy land filled with flying sea creatures, talking animals and lots of other crazy, fun stuff! I think this setting makes for some really fun treasure hunting adventures. Think Indiana Jones/Uncharted meets a Studio Ghibli world. This story deals with a lot of deeper, mature subjects and themes like dying, leaving a legacy, religion and questioning what you've been told.
This Kickstarter campaign is to fund the printing of issue 1 of Slightly Exaggerated. We print all of our comics on thick 85lb glossy pages with a 10pt thick matte cover, and the collectors with numeric foil stamping on the cover. We want our books to not only be a fun, thought provoking read, but also a high quality collectors item.
Instead of pitching it more, how about we show you the first eight pages below!
Who will love Slightly Exaggerated?
- Fans of Studio Ghibli films, Indiana Jones, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Avatar the last airbender and other fantasy treasure hunting adventures.
- Fans of comics like Isola, Deadly Class, Middlewest, Extremity, Seven to Eternity, Saga and Coda.
- If you like treasure hunting stories set in a beautiful charming fantasy world, then you'll love Slightly Exaggerated!
What do you get when backing this Kickstarter?
- Slightly Exaggerated #1 : 22 pages of story printed at standard american comic book size on high quality gloss paper with a thick matte cover.
- Collectors edition : signed and numbered with a numeric foil stamping out of 1,000 on the cover - very limited!
- Acknowledgements : get your name printed in the acknowledgements section of the book and become immortalized FOREVER!
- Get the other comics written by Curtis like, The Wild Cosmos #1, Beastlands #1 and Beastlands #2. Check them out below!
Curtis is a professional comic book writer. He got his start self publishing comics he's written through Kickstarter. Since then he's worked on The Dragon's Kin with In Hiatus Studios, The Wild Cosmos with Scout Comics and some other unannounced freelance writing work. This'll be his fifth Kickstarter campaign, successfully running and fulfilling the previous four. Currently living in sunny Orange County, California. Besides writing at his desk, he enjoys practicing jiu jitsu and muay thai and going on backpacking camping trips.
Pius is a comic book artist born and currently living in Lithuania. Mostly self-taught, he started his career as a concept artist. He later transitioned to drawing comics, and in 2017, for the first time, his work appeared in the published comic Night Owl Society. Bak has worked on The Magicians: Alice's Story, Jim Henson's Labyrinth and Adventure Time with BOOM! Studios as well as other independent comic projects.
Letterer - Toben Racicot writes and letters comics. He’s worked on The Wild Cosmos, Thorn Squadron, Menagerie, and Rumble Kings. Together with his wife, Alaire Racicot they create Crown & Anchor, the fantasy sci-fi pirate adventure. He also runs multiple Dungeons & Dragons campaigns and continues the hunt in Bloodborne. He’s also working on a PhD in Role Playing Games and Comic Books at the University of Waterloo. Contact him through Twitter or email.
Here's some of our most popular rewards! You can see the full list to the right or in the rewards tab.
Slightly Exaggerated #1 is already 100% finished! The file is ready to go to the printer after we receive kickstarter funds.
- Kickstarter Campaign: September 30th - October 25th
- Kickstarter funds received: November 11th
- Delivery of Digital PDF: November
- Book manufacturing and freight: December
- Extra buffer time for possible unexpected issues: January
- Expected Delivery to US Backers: Early February
- Expected Delivery to INT Backers: Late February
It's important to us that your comics arrive safe and undamaged!
All comics will be individually bagged and boarded. Then shipped into the secure Gemini Comic Supply Flash Mailers, which provides impact resistant protection. We'll be doing all the packaging ourselves to ensure it's done right and safe.
As a group of independent creators Kickstarter is a chance for us to self publish and produce this comic. Sure, we'd love to have a publisher with us on the series someday. But right now, this is as raw as it gets. This is a group of friends and creators making something for the love and passion of it. This is us trying to get our story out there no matter what it takes.
As a passion project we've already put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into this project. We're doing this for the love of comics. A successful Kickstarter campaign will allow us to cover any more art costs, print the book, distribute the book, take it to conventions and hopefully continue the series of Slightly Exaggerated!
Thank you so much for taking the time to check out our project. We hope you decide to join this campaign and go on an treasure hunting adventure with Mia and Winston!
-Curtis, Pius, and Toben
Risks and challenges
This'll be my fifth kickstarter campaign that I've run for comics. I've successfully fulfilled the other four kickstarters.
The comic is already 100% done and the file is ready to be sent to the printer if the kickstarter is successful. We put ourselves in a great position to successfully and quickly fulfill this campaign. We even put in extra buffer time into our expected shipping schedule in case of any unexpected mishaps.
We are confident there won't be any issues fulfilling this project, but in the chance we get behind schedule, backers will be the first to know. Thank you for trusting us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)