Beastlands #1: A Heartful Fantasy Adventure
In a unique fantasy world, a boy must journey to save his companion beast and get his friends back, before he pushes them all too far.
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by Thu, April 18 2019 10:00 PM UTC +00:00.
Beastlands is an action adventure story set in a beautiful medieval fantasy world, where some people have companion beasts known as "Keepers".
In Beastlands you'll go on an adventure with a group of 3 teenage friends, Mac, Ava and Ping. They're on a journey to find out what Mac's father, an explorer, was trying to discover before he disappeared. On this quest their friendships will be put to the test all while a tyrannical King looks to outlaw Keepers from the land.
Who will love Beastlands?
- Fans of Pokemon, Game of Thrones, Monster Hunter, The Witcher, How to Train your Dragon, The Last Airbender and other fantasy worlds filled with unique creatures.
- Fans of comics like Saga, Isola, Seven to Eternity, Deadly Class, Extremity, Middlewest and Low.
- People who like the beautiful films by Studio Ghibli and their unique stories and worlds.
- If you like comics with a unique charming fantasy world, with BEAUTIFUL ART and a heartful, genuine, emotional and impactful story.
What do you get when backing this kickstarter?
- Beastlands #1 : 21 pages of story printed at standard american comic book size on high quality paper.
- Collectors edition : signed and numbered out of 1,000 - very limited!
- Acknowledgements : get your name printed in the acknowledgements section of the book and become immortalized FOREVER!
- Get our other comic series 'The Wild Cosmos #1': 26 pages of story printed on high quality paper and oversized at 8x12 with a matte cover and with back matter (The Wild Cosmos is picked up by SCOUT COMICS now, so this version of the book is SUPER LIMITED and rare!).
EARLY PRAISE FOR BEASTLANDS #1
We've been sending advanced copies of Beastlands #1 around the comic industry. Check out what some pros and critics said!
ADVANCED REVIEWS OF BEASTLANDS #1
"Curtis Clow unravels a story that is sure to keep our adventuring shoes on nonetheless. Paired with Jo Mi-Gyeong's art, this story is a must read! ...one of the best indie comics I’ve read in a long time! I absolutely love BEASTLANDS #1 and cannot wait to see what comes next!" - ComicsVerse.com
Writer - Creator and writer of The Wild Cosmos, formerly funded through Kickstarter, now published through Scout Comics. Currently living in sunny Orange County, California. Besides writing at his desk, he enjoys practicing jiu jitsu and muay thai and going on backpacking camping trips.
Artist - Jo currently lives in Seoul, Korea. She is a big fan of DC comics and loves to read them when not making art. She also is a Comics Art Challenger!
Letterer - Toben Racicot writes and letters comics. He’s worked on The Wild Cosmos, Thorn Squadron, Menagerie, and Rumble Kings. Together with his wife, Alaire Racicot they create Crown & Anchor, the fantasy sci-fi pirate adventure. He also runs multiple Dungeons & Dragons campaigns and continues the hunt in Bloodborne. He’s also working on a PhD in Role Playing Games and Comic Books at the University of Waterloo. Contact him through Twitter or email.
WHY THIS STORY?
As a writer they say "write what you know". Now, I love writing high concept sci-fi and fantasy stories that immerse you into a whole new world. But this is so much more than that. This is a story about being a teenager and going after your purpose in life. Sometimes to a fault. This is a story about friendship - but also about owning, caring for and loving a pet. In my mid 20's I finally got a dog of my own, a beagle named Ellie. Taking care of a dog was more work than I ever expected. One day I took her to the park, like I did many mornings, for a game of fetch. That day Ellie was struck by a car. I had to walk back home with her in my arms while I thought her life was drifting away from her little body. She was in rough shape. All I could do was hope that she'd hang in there. Once home, we rushed to the vet so they could care for her. Luckily Ellie survived and made a full recovery. She's 3 now, living her life sprinting through the Southern California beaches. She's already taught me more than I could've expected. This is a story about appreciating what you have, before it's too late. This is a story for Ellie.
Beastlands #1 is already 100% finished! The file is ready to go to the printer after we receive kickstarter funds.
- Kickstarter Campaign: March 19 - April 18
- Kickstarter funds received: May 2nd
- Delivery of Digital PDF: Early May
- Book manufacturing and freight: May
- Extra buffer time for possible unexpected issues: June
- Expected Delivery to US Backers: Early July
- Expected Delivery to INT Backers: Late July
It's important to us that your comics arrive safe and undamaged!
All comics will be individually bagged and boarded. Then shipped into the secure Gemini Comic Supply Flash Mailers, which provides impact resistant protection. We'll be doing all the packaging ourselves to ensure it's done right and safe.
As a group of independent creators Kickstarter is a chance for us to self publish and produce this comic. Sure, we'd love to have a publisher with us on the series someday. But right now, this is as raw as it gets. This is a group of friends and creators making something for the love and passion of it. This is us trying to get our story out there no matter what it takes.
As a passion project we've already put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into this project. We're doing this for the love of comics. A successful Kickstarter campaign will allow us to cover any more art costs, print the book, distribute the book, take it to conventions and hopefully continue the series of Beastlands!
Thank you so much for taking the time to check out our project. We hope you decide to join this campaign and go on an adventure with Mac, Ava and Ping!
-Curtis, Jo, and Toben
Risks and challenges
This'll be my third kickstarter campaign that I've run for comics. I've successfully fulfilled the other 2 kickstarters.
The comic is already 100% done and the file is ready to be sent to the printer if the kickstarter is successful. We put ourselves in a great position to successfully and quickly fulfill this campaign. We even put in extra buffer time into our expected shipping schedule in case of any unexpected mishaps.
We are confident there won't be any issues fulfilling this project, but in the chance we get behind schedule, backers will be the first to know. Thank you for trusting us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- All gone!