Issue 1 of Beastlands was successfully funded through Kickstarter. We doubled our funding goal with almost 500 backers. Thanks to our fans we were able to print a beautiful high quality collectable comic. Issue 1 is still available in this campaign. Now we're back to print issue 2 of Beastlands!
Beastlands is an action adventure story set in a beautiful medieval fantasy world, where some people have companion beasts known as "Keepers".
In Beastlands you'll go on an adventure with a group of 3 teenage friends, Mac, Ava and Ping. They're on a journey to find out what Mac's father, an explorer, was trying to discover before he disappeared. On this quest their friendships will be put to the test all while a tyrannical King looks to outlaw Keepers from the land.
Who will love Beastlands?
- Fans of Pokemon, Digimon, Game of Thrones, Monster Hunter, The Witcher, How to Train your Dragon, The Last Airbender and other fantasy worlds filled with unique creatures.
- Fans of comics like Saga, Isola, Seven to Eternity, Deadly Class, Coda, Extremity, Middlewest and Low.
- People who like the beautiful films by Studio Ghibli and their wonderous stories and worlds.
- If you like comics with a charming fantasy world, with BEAUTIFUL ART and a heartful, genuine, emotional and impactful story.
What do you get when backing this kickstarter?
All our books are printed at the highest quality, with thick glossy papers and a thicker matte cover. It's important to us that it feels good in your hands!
- Beastlands #2 : 24 pages of story printed at standard american comic book size on high quality gloss paper with a thick matte cover.
- Beastlands #1 : 21 pages of story printed at standard american comic book size on high quality gloss paper with a thick matte cover.
- Beastlands #2 has 3 cover options, one being a Virgin Cover printed on Foil Holographic!
- Collectors edition : signed and numbered with a numeric foil stamping out of 1,000 on the cover - very limited!
- Acknowledgements : get your name printed in the acknowledgements section of the book and become immortalized FOREVER!
- Get our other comic series 'The Wild Cosmos #1': 26 pages of story printed on high quality paper and oversized at 8x12 with a matte cover and with back matter (The Wild Cosmos is picked up by SCOUT COMICS now, so this version of the book is SUPER LIMITED and rare!).
PRAISE FOR BEASTLANDS
Check out what some pros and critics said about Beastlands!
REVIEWS OF BEASTLANDS #1
"Curtis Clow unravels a story that is sure to keep our adventuring shoes on nonetheless. Paired with Jo Mi-Gyeong's art, this story is a must read! ...one of the best indie comics I’ve read in a long time! I absolutely love BEASTLANDS #1 and cannot wait to see what comes next!" - ComicsVerse.com
"Beastlands is a comic that is made with both imagination and heart as it is built with the highest quality of production I’ve seen. The creators have clearly put their blood, sweat, and tears into a story that deserves every reader it can get." - TheModernGafa.com
We have 3 different cover options for Beastlands #2, including a Virgin/Foil cover that has a holographic effect!
Here's some interior pages from issue 2! They're unlettered so we don't give away too many spoilers.
'The Wild Cosmos #1' is also available! Another comic written by Curtis.
Writer - Curtis is a professional comic book writer. Some comics that he's written and created include The Wild Cosmos with Scout Comics and The Dragon's Kin with In Hiatus Studios. He's a fan of all things sci-fi and fantasy. This'll be his fourth Kickstarter campaign, successfully fulfilling and running the previous three. Currently living in sunny Orange County, California. Besides writing at his desk, he enjoys practicing jiu jitsu and muay thai and going on backpacking camping trips.
Artist - Jo currently lives in Seoul, Korea. She is a big fan of DC comics and loves to read them when not making art. She also is a Comics Art Challenger!
Letterer - Toben Racicot writes and letters comics. He’s worked on The Wild Cosmos, Thorn Squadron, Menagerie, and Rumble Kings. Together with his wife, Alaire Racicot they create Crown & Anchor, the fantasy sci-fi pirate adventure. He also runs multiple Dungeons & Dragons campaigns and continues the hunt in Bloodborne. He’s also working on a PhD in Role Playing Games and Comic Books at the University of Waterloo. Contact him through Twitter or email.
WHY THIS STORY?
"As a writer they say "write what you know". Now, I love writing high concept sci-fi and fantasy stories that immerse you into a whole new world. But this is so much more than that. This is a story about being a teenager and going after your purpose in life. Sometimes to a fault. This is a story about friendship - but also about owning, caring for and loving a pet. In my mid 20's I finally got a dog of my own, a beagle named Ellie. Taking care of a dog was more work than I ever expected. One day I took her to the park, like I did many mornings, for a game of fetch. That day Ellie was struck by a car. I had to walk back home with her in my arms while I thought her life was drifting away from her little body. She was in rough shape. All I could do was hope that she'd hang in there. Once home, we rushed to the vet so they could care for her. Luckily Ellie survived and made a full recovery. She's 3 now, living her life sprinting through the Southern California beaches. She's already taught me more than I could've expected. This is a story about appreciating what you have, before it's too late. This is a story for Ellie."
Here's just some of our most popular rewards! Scroll to the kickstarter reward options to view all of them.
All covers/comics will be available as separate add ons after the campaign, when surveys go out! (if you want extra of any specific cover).
Beastlands #2 is already 100% finished! The file is ready to go to the printer after we receive kickstarter funds.
- Kickstarter Campaign: July 1st - July 26th
- Kickstarter funds received: August 9th
- Delivery of Digital PDF: Early August
- Book manufacturing and freight: August
- Extra buffer time for possible unexpected issues: September
- Expected Delivery to US Backers: Early October
- Expected Delivery to INT Backers: Late October
It's important to us that your comics arrive safe and undamaged!
All comics will be individually bagged and boarded. Then shipped into the secure Gemini Comic Supply Flash Mailers, which provides impact resistant protection. We'll be doing all the packaging ourselves to ensure it's done right and safe.
As a group of independent creators Kickstarter is a chance for us to self publish and produce this comic. Sure, we'd love to have a publisher with us on the series someday. But right now, this is as raw as it gets. This is a group of friends and creators making something for the love and passion of it. This is us trying to get our story out there no matter what it takes.
As a passion project we've already put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into this project. We're doing this for the love of comics. A successful Kickstarter campaign will allow us to cover any more art costs, print the book, distribute the book, take it to conventions and hopefully continue the series of Beastlands!
Thank you so much for taking the time to check out our project. We hope you decide to join this campaign and go on an adventure with Mac, Ava and Ping!
-Curtis, Jo, and Toben
Risks and challenges
This'll be my fourth kickstarter campaign that I've run for comics. I've successfully fulfilled the other three kickstarters.
The comic is already 100% done and the file is ready to be sent to the printer if the kickstarter is successful. We put ourselves in a great position to successfully and quickly fulfill this campaign. We even put in extra buffer time into our expected shipping schedule in case of any unexpected mishaps.
We are confident there won't be any issues fulfilling this project, but in the chance we get behind schedule, backers will be the first to know. Thank you for trusting us!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)