This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
UGEARS Hurdy-Gurdy: unique mechanical musical model
UGEARS Hurdy-Gurdy: unique mechanical musical model
Engineered for self-assembly and play. Just build with your own hands and feel like Stradivari or a popular Hurdy-Gurdy star.
Engineered for self-assembly and play. Just build with your own hands and feel like Stradivari or a popular Hurdy-Gurdy star. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy and Mechanical Town Series
Ugears keeps expanding the creative world of hobbies and opening an assembly process as an exciting game. Inspired by the art of medieval craftsmen and enriched by smart engineering of the XXI century, this June, exclusively on Kickstarter, we are launching new models with extraordinary functionality: a Hurdy-Gurdy, the genuine gem of the Ugears collection, a Date Navigator and a Secret Model - Treasure Box.
And here we are, presenting a whole new range of new models from the Ugears Mechanical Town Series: a Tram Line, a Rail Manipulator and a genuine Robot Factory.
Also, we decided to combine the individual miniature models from our Ugears Tribiks range into a series of collectibles for grown-ups, U-Fidgets-Tribiks. The new series includes all your favorite types of Tribiks that help you organize your thoughts and ideas, drive new insights, relieve stress, regain control over your emotions, and become your everyday life companions as key-charms or original trinkets.
And finally, we keep our promise to create curious models developed specially for kids that offer our backers exclusive access to Ugears coloring 3D models. Easy to build, fun to color and play with, the children series provides great opportunity to spend some quality time with children.
We are glad to be back on Kickstarter. It provides live and direct communication with people from different countries from all round the world who share our ideas, interests, and this hobby. It’s really inspiring for us. We appreciate your feedback. So follow us, support us and be the part of our success story. Email us: email@example.com
Ugears literally unite generations. This is the best way to engage constantly busy dads and moms in playing together with their children and making real things together. Grandchildren get our models to put them together with their grandparents. All Ugears models are nice to understand mechanical concepts both for boys and girls encouraging them to explore and discover the fantastic and so cool world of science, technology, engineering and math. The Ugears puzzle hobby will get you off the smartphones and tablets for a few hours and brings the true joy of being creative with your hands and minds.
Made of sustainable, eco-friendly wood, each UGEARS model assembles easily and needs no glue or special tools due to our patented plywood joints method and easy-to-follow colored instructions. After assembly, instead of becoming a simple static display, each model is capable of a unique and fascinating range of self-powered movements. All without batteries, it's propelled using rubber bands, cranks, gears and gravity.
The launch of new models is like a premier for a composer. So, we begin with the Hurdy-Gurdy: the world's first mechanical musical model for self-assembly and play is a genuine gem of the Ugears collection.
About the Hurdy-Gurdy: History
The hurdy-gurdy is a string instrument that produces a sound resembling one of a bagpipe by a hand-turned wheel rubbing against the strings working similarly to a violin and a fiddle bow.
The history of this instrument begins in the 15th century. One of the earliest forms of the hurdy-gurdy was the organistrum (a portable organ) in Medieval Europe. After some modifications it became a common instrument among travelling musicians in England and went through its renaissance period in the later 17th-18th centuries as more of the noble class musical instrument for the amusement of the rich. Those instruments were decorated by craftsmen with inlays and carving and had the built-in hurdy-gurdy mechanism into the guitar or lute body. Some call the Hurdy-Gurdy music "a medieval rock’n’roll", which we find pretty cool. It captured us and we decided to create the Ugears' version of the Hurdy-Gurdy.
Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy: Idea
Inspired by the art of medieval craftsmen, enriched by smart engineering of the XXI century and created by Ugears engineers' collective imagination. Richly detailed with an eye toward romance and artistry, our version of this indelible symbol of medieval life and adventure impresses all who come across it and get a chance to play it.
The Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy is a fully fledged musical instrument. It’s easy to play: just turn a crank with one hand putting the rhythm into the music and push the keys with the other. A unique combination of good taste, wood and mechanics. An awesome gift and smart hobby idea for your friends and family.
Assembly of Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy
The model is equipped with everything needed for assembly. The quality of the parts is very high – a laser method with 0.01 mm precision is used for cutting items from a plywood board. The details are already cut out and can be easily removed from the board. All steps of its assembly are described in very detailed step-by-step color instructions.
The Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy assembles easily and with no glue, toothpicks or special tools due to our patented plywood joints method. The assembly of the Hurdy-Gurdy includes several stages. Firstly, you put the smaller parts together to form the large blocks: the body, decks, wheel, crank, head, tuning pegs, keyboard, melody strings – which will altogether complete the whole model.
Just build it together with your own hands and feel like Stradivari or a popular Hurdy-Gurdy star!
Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy Construction
Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy has a unique design and a lot of technical elements and details that turns the assembly and playing process into an exciting game and brings you hours of pleasure and fun.
The Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy’s tuning pegs have a gear reduction mechanism for finer sound tuning of the melody and bourdon strings. For a more clear sound you can switch off the bourdon string using a little lever in the keybox. Also we added the gear reduction mechanism into the crank (handle) to increase the number of wheel’s rotations. This allowed us to get a smoother and richer sound and preserve the compact size of the model itself.
6 keys are spring-loaded with rubber bands and little cranks in the keybox to ensure softer and more convenient play. Also the Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy has a special mechanism to adjust the height of both strings (melody and bourdon string) on the bridge and the beautiful planetary gears mechanism inside the body.
The length of the melody and the bourdon string is 250 mm (from bridge to the head’s threshold). The length of the strings between the middle of the wheel to the bridge is 30 mm.
The model has a melody string for playing melodies and a bourdon string for a background sound. 6 keys correspond to 6 notes that are played by pushing the key while rotating the crank. The released keys provide one more, seventh, note. The second (bourdon) string is tuned by tuning the peg in unison to the melody string or in any melodic interval (quart, quint, octave). The construction kit includes pieces of rosin to wax the wheel and improve the sound.
The Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy is a mechanical musical instrument. To play it – just turn the crank with one hand and push the keys with the other. You’ll find the tablature of the tunes from the Hurdy-Gurdy Campaign in the assembly instructions for the model.
This will help you to get the rhythm of playing and to create the melodies you love.
The Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy brings the unforgettable time of working together on things that are popular among people of any age. Just put it together and you are ready to throw an original party giving a new spur to whatever music you like – whether it is folk or modern – playing your new unique Hurdy-Gurdy.
Date Navigator Model
Your daily companion to keep track of your adventure and discovery in 2017-2044 with a beautiful Steampunk planetary mechanism inside.
Set the year and the month to find out what day of the week it is going to be. Never get lost in time again!
A Secret Model: Treasure Box
An exquisite Mechanical Puzzle Box for jewellery and notes. The true jewel of Ugears collection of wooden models. The delicate through-carved work of its lid and sides invites you to gain a glimpse into the mystery that the moving gears conceal.
Although only the one who can solve the secrets of the puzzle-box will get to enjoy the treasure of beautiful mechanics in its action. One would imagine that in order to open the box, we’d need a key – and the key is right there, beautifully embedded in the carved lid. All you need to do to take it out is to slightly turn the key clockwise. Although, getting the key is only a part of the puzzle. To set the gears in motion, before taking the key out, you need to unblock the mechanism that lifts the lid by turning the key counter-clockwise.
When all the secrets are revealed and the box is opened, inside you will find a small compartment for jewellery, notes and other small items. You may be sure, your treasures and secrets are safe with the new Ugears Treasure Box.
Ugears Hurdy-Gurdy Campaign
Early Birds, Rewards and Add-Ons
If you would like to add a few models to your pledge, simply add the cost of the model to the cost of models in your pledge and indicate all the models you pledged for in the survey after the campaign. Notice that the shipping cost will vary depending on the add-ons you add.
To find out the shipping fee, please sum up the weight of the models in your pledge, including add-ons, and find the corresponding value in the table below.
Ugears Mechanical Town Series
From the very beginning of our journey, we were inspired with the idea to create the unique Mechanical Town on a river’s bank. Opens to all interpretations and ideas, this would be a town of musicians, artists and inventors, masters and warriors. The most amazing town on the earth. A town, were people love, fight, work and search for innovation, and, of course, have fun.
Tram Line Model
Every town has its transportation system and the Mechanical Town has its Tram Line. A model which you can build with your own hands, play and create your own stories with people living in the town.
Number of component parts: 284
The new model is interactive and is made entirely of wooden materials. It’s great for your hobby & collection. Each part has a unique design and fascinating engineering. The UGEARS’ Tram Line model doesn’t need glue or special tools or even toothpicks to connect parts, which makes putting it together even more exciting. The fully assembled model retains moving parts and elements and remains entertaining and educational for family projects.
The Tram Line model consists of 14 parts, which come in a convenient scale for building and playing with.
- The self-propelled Tram Car is equipped with an overhead pantograph to switch “drive” mode and a knob to open and close the doors. Wind-up the tram car and watch it move on the rails, entering the Depot. After making a 180 degree turn on the turntable, it moves on its own to the end of the line. There is no electricity inside: just gears, wheels, cranks, a rubber band engine and tons of fun!
- Tram Stop on the platform complete with a clock, a bench, little stairs and a Ticket Kiosk. The stairs are removable and can be placed on any part of the platform.
- Tram Depot with a gate and Turntable where the tram drives in to prepare for the next trip according to the route timetable. The depot is also equipped with a Turntable for turning the tram 180 degrees for the next trip. There is a special “tongue” on the rails of the turntable which stops the tram in the locked position, and disengages after the turn of the turntable allowing the tram to move on to the return route.
- Footbridge – the pedestrian crossing - is made in the shape of arches and set across the tracks. It can also be set at a crossroads, and cars can pass under the arches.
- straight and radius tracks, street lamps and 7 characters of the Mechanical Town: a gentleman (a manufacturer, millionaire, philanthropist, media darling and hero of gossip….or a person from your own story), a young inventor who reads a newspaper sitting on a bench (or a spy, an agent ….. your option ..in your own story), a beautiful stranger with a little dog (or a pretty woman in your own story), an ice-cream seller hiding from the heat under an umbrella, a policeman (sheriff ) on a horse, factory worker and a news-boy.
Rail Manipulator Model
The Rail Manipulator is a new UGEARS’ model from the Mechanical Town Series. The set contains the Manipulator, two sections of rails, the shed under construction, two shipping crates with doors, crane, truck, and five characters. It is located in the river docks of Mechanical town nearby the Mechanical Wonder Works, or – as the local residents call it – the Robot Factory.
Number of component parts: 356
- The Manipulator is a model in which the user can control the mechanical claw with three levers. The claw itself sits on a platform that can rotate manually or by a valve. The operator's cab, equipped with a protection lid and adjustable headlight, is found in the front part of the model.
The counter-clockwise rotation of the cabin switches the Manipulator’s modes:
1) initial position (driving mode) – the claw’s rotation platform locked, the model moves along the track; 2) 90 degree turn (free mode) – the rotation platform is unlocked; 3) 180 degree turn (loading mode) – the wheel of the models are locked along with the gear in the front axle that connects to the ledge on the rails.
The rear of the model carries the lever that controls lifting, lowering, and holding of four foot supports providing extra-steadiness while operating the claw.The front and rear part of the model have hitch holes for coupling with other models.
- 2 sections of rails and 2 types of coupling anchors that connect the rails in two different manners: parallel or in one line.
- 2 shipping crates with doors that can accommodate some miniature freight or a tiny person
- shed under construction - pseudo-metal frame made of giant trusses which arrived straight out of the Industrial age.
- Crane – Can be disassembled and put back together almost by a wave of the hand. Works instantly after that! Due to the supplementary mechanisms the rotation and angle of the crane can be locked even with a load.
- Freight carriage – This has drop sides that make loading and unloading simpler. The freight crates along with the disassembled crane can easily fit in it and be quickly moved to a new destination. Like the Manipulator, this model also has hitch holes for coupling with other models
- 5 characters: manipulator operator, worker holding signal flags (to facilitate the operating of the manipulator with the signal system), worker with a shovel , worker with a wrench, roofer with a hammer sitting on a beam of a shed.
Robot Factory Model
Its main feature is a semi knock-down automatic assembly line for the manufacture of Wooden Robots. It runs on Geneva drive. After initial preparation all you need to do is to push the button. And a Wooden Robot is ready!
The most impressive visual effect is achieved by a decorative Stirling engine or to be precise, a steam engine.
Number of component parts: 657
The main mechanical block stages a factory unit or a boiler-room, or – more generally – one of the steam-punk workshops. Along the perimeter of, on the side, there is a monorail with a freight hoist that can be manually moved along the conveyor belt.
Another catch of the model is the figures of the workers for the factory unit.
The curious element is the boxes. They… open ). The factory unit has a ramp for the future trucks or other mechanical vehicles.
And, of course, we have TWO Wooden Robots with moving parts. They have articulated legs and arms joints, capable of body rotation and come with a control cabin.
Presumably the robots can be exploited in the Space expedition but it is under discussion now.
U-Fidgets-Tribiks Collection for adults
The unique 4 sets of U-Fidget-Tribiks (4 tribiks in each set) for adults. Use them to organize your thoughts and ideas, drive new insights, relieve stress, regain control over your emotions. Let them and become your everyday life companions as key-charms or original trinkets.
U-Fidget-Tribiks are miniature vehicles, planes, and ships with mechanical components created by Ugears' team Steampunk-inspired imagination.
Ugears 3D wooden coloring models for kids
Original gift and fascinating hobby for children from 5 years old ... as well as grown-ups of any age! 20 models in the range. Easy to build and fun to color and play with.
Curious mechanisms and flowers, clock, merry-go-round, airplanes and rockets, vehicles, ships, fairy tale characters, birds and pets, cute animals. Assemble easily without glue and toothpicks or special tools by following an illustrated color manual.
- Color as you like: acrylic, gouache, watercolor, markers - you can use whatever you have at hand.
- Eco-Friendly: the models are made of high-quality plywood, have a fragrant scent of wood and are pleasant to the touch. ENCOURAGE to learn and explore the world.
- Contain elements of mechanics, develop spatial thinking and fine motor skills.
- Capture the imagination of children for a long time. 20 models in the range guarantee 20 evenings when your kids will be carried away with fun and educational activity.
- Models have a unique and handsome look that will keep your spirits up sitting on the top of your desk.
- A great way to spend some quality time with children: assemble and color an exciting puzzle together. And sometimes to take your mind off things and simply color it on your own.
UGEARS Mechanical Models
We put special meaning and ideas into each of our models. Each of UGEARS models is not just a CONSTRUCTION but a GREAT idea of perfect mechanism, a piece of art that brings the beautiful world of mechanics closer and make it more comprehensible. Putting models together, you bring the idea to life.
The Hurdy-Gurdy plays dancing melodies, from folk to modern, being the bridge between the medieval times and the present day. The unique blend of the joy of creation, playing music, and engineering and design.
The Mechanical Town with its fully functional Tram Line, Rail Manipulator and Robot Factory is an extraordinary mix of gaming components, Steampunk and modern mechanisms keeping an eye on the future. It helps to understand mechanical concepts, play and create your own mechanical world with the characters included into the sets.
The Date Navigator that helps to identify the day of the week for any date from 2017 to 2044 will become a great companion in planning your future endeavors.
The Steam Locomotive with tender is a mechanical embodiment of power and movement. It’s driven by rubber bands and a gear array instead of superheated steam, but otherwise its main mechanism looks and operates very much like that of a real steam engine. Small touches like a fully detailed engineer’s cab with retractable step ladder, art-deco boiler trim, and open-up Tender with coal doors complete this beautiful reminder of a bygone era.
The Safe Box discloses the principle of combination lock used in modern safe boxes. Building it together and setting your own 3-digit wheel personal lock combination is a lot of fun.
UGEARS began as a startup established in 2014 in Kiev, Ukraine. It implemented the idea of modular self-propelled wooden mechanical models in which everything is real. Today the UGEARS collection includes 23 models of intelligent design. UGEARS models became a favorite hobby for peoplein 85 countries across 5 continents, and we care deeply about the great support, priceless feedback, and kind advice we have received from all of them.
We are constantly growing and developing. And there are more than 200 ideas for future mechanisms that we plan to realize. 7 new models are in development and will be presented by the end of 2017.
Our models are fun for kids and grown-ups of all ages. Each UGEARS model brings a satisfying feeling of completing a handmade project, inviting you and your loved ones into the awesome and cool world of mechanics. It's absolutely fascinating when a pure mechanical marvel comes to life in your hands and you feel like a creator.
For every person in the Ugears team involved in making it, each model becomes a baby. Something you put your soul in. And finally – the model moves! Makes its first sound. The feeling is absolutely overwhelming! We don’t even know what to compare it with. The closest is, yes, the feeling when your child is born. You are standing there numb and silent watching them moving or playing (like with Hurdy-Gurdy model) and feeling pure joy.
Today we have a team of more than 140 enthusiastic people. They invest their creativity and love in their craft which you receive in each of the models. We believe that crowdfunding is the best way to expand the audience interested in the innovational products. Help us to spread the word and share it with your friends.
Production and delivery
All UGEARS models are manufactured at our own production facilities. We guarantee high quality of our products, really helpful customer service and fast replacement of spare parts to complete your models worldwide. It’s natural and eco-friendly. Each model comes with high quality plywood boards and precise laser cut parts. And we are working on new packages with smart items inside. It will be interesting. Looking forward to your feedback!
Timeline of the campaign
Risks and challenges
What we have:
1) Our own manufacture with increased output facilities and many years of experience in business project management. We are confident in our ability to create original models for self-assembly and bring joy to all those who supported us.
2) Experience in cross-border delivery and contracts with key parcel courier services to ship UGEARS model anywhere in the world at declared shipping costs.
3) We have a well thought out plan how to proceed after the end of the project.
4) Our main marketing strategy is based on a true passion for mechanics and love for our work.
Our team is constantly engaged in developing of natural innovative models with sound construction and engineering.
Our team is continuously working on new fascinating self-propelled wooden models. With the support of Kickstarter – your support – UGEARS can develop more new models within the forthcoming years, introduce absolutely new models series and offer our DIY-models all over world.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- All gone!