Our upcoming Kickstarter campaign will only be for the English version of Cultistorm.
- Our upcoming Kickstarter campaign will only be for the English version of Cultistorm.
- We are in touch with several board game publishers to discuss the localisation of the game. However, we will only make a final decision about publishing foreign language editions of Cultistorm after seeing through our first Kickstarter campaign.
In the past few months we have been counting a lot, we have had many meetings with manufacturers and fellow publishers, there was a constant stream of brainstorming within our small team and we have modelled a lot of scenarios of the Cultistorm project.
The biggest challenge in recent months has been resolving the difficulties of foreign language publishing. To ensure the highest professional and linguistic quality, we have decided to entrust Cultistorm to local board game publishers who regularly carry out such publications in their home countries. We currently have potential partners for German, French, Spanish, Polish, and Hungarian with whom we are negotiating, but we are also looking for partners to prepare localised versions in other languages.
The other big challenge is that having multiple pledge levels breaks up the number of copies we can produce at once. This poses an additional problem: if we divide the game into seven languages, we will get a very small number of production copies for each foreign language version of Cultistorm. This makes for very high production costs for each box. We have calculated this over and over again, but the numbers do not lie: unfortunately, we would need to produce at least 1,000 copies of each individual language to be profitable. This is the same number we came up with during our first campaign in December.
Let us look at the facts:
In our first campaign in December it became clear that our structure was not appropriate. This is why we will have the three pledge level system with purchasable add-ons. These separate pledge levels are the ‘sub-units’ for which we need to achieve a profitable minimum number of copies. (If we were to offer a multi-language campaign, it would mean 1,000 copies for each language.)
Were we to aim for this goal straight away, the realistic Funding Goal would be even greater than in our previous campaign. This would be a risk factor, and we saw how much criticism it received during our last campaign. Although we firmly believe in the uniqueness of this project and would like to reach the backer amount for this funding goal even during this very first campaign, we simply cannot set this amount as our funding goal. This time we would like to move forward in smaller steps, but be more certain about the realisation of the project.
It is a great leap forward that over the past few months several international publishers expressed interest in the retail publishing of our game. Aside from this, we actively made contact with local partner publishers to arrange for a high quality localisation of the game. So there are several cooperation initiatives and possibilities to release foreign language versions of Cultistorm through these publishers. However, these partners will make their final decisions only after the result of our English campaign, so we really have no choice but to concentrate on its success.
We also realised in December that it is very complicated to run a campaign in several languages simultaneously for a project of this size. Moreover, the campaign structure will be much more transparent if we separate the English version from the foreign language ones.
What all this means:
Keeping all the facts in mind we decided to make the upcoming Kickstarter campaign an English-only campaign. As stated before, there will be three different pledge levels. Aside from this there are going to be add-ons, KS-exclusive and promotional elements, stretch goals, and a special retail offer.
We are continuing to negotiate the localisation of the game with several publishers, but we are only going to make a final decision after closing our English campaign.
We hope that you can accept our reasons and decisions. We are trusting in your continued support for our upcoming Campaign.
We are counting on you!
Before you ask about the relaunch date in the comments section: We are going to get back to you with an exact launch date within the next two weeks.