Cultistorm is the expression of our respect and love for H. P. Lovecraft. It is more than just an ordinary board game – this is a Lovecraftian gaming experience with literary and musical dimensions. Our theme choice was motivated by a deep commitment to the work and heritage of H. P. Lovecraft. We want to create an excellent board game for those who know and love Lovecraft, and we would like to make Lovecraft’s work known to those who are board game fans.
- A highly interactive gaming experience offering unique cooperative game mechanics where every player is of equal importance.
- Scalable difficulty: the game’s setup options allow players to adjust the difficulty of the challenges they will face (this feature is included in the base game).
- Narrative Expansion and Script Book: the true jewel of Cultistorm is a hardcover book containing 500+ pieces of high quality weird fiction, illustrated with colourful full-page artwork. The Narrative Expansion is a story-driven game mode in which the stories impact the game itself.
- Solo Expansion for those solitary detectives who wish take up the fight on their own.
- Campaign Expansion: seven connected and increasingly challenging scenarios introducing new game mechanics.
- Overlord Expansion: this adds a sixth player who takes on the role of Lovecraft himself. As a puppet master, this player controls the cultists, and thus the whole game.
- Nine minor expansion modules: each of these introduces new game mechanics, increasing the replayability and difficulty of Cultistorm. Most modules can be played simultaneously.
- Game Night Expansion (as add-on): this unique and innovative expansion provides the possibility of combining up to six separate Cultistorm games into one epic story. A common fight, in which the choices of the different teams can impact each other. This expansion was developed specifically for clubs who organise board gaming events.
- Hardcover Short Story Collection: the stories were specifically written for the game by a group of fifteen experienced authors with a vast knowledge of weird fiction writing.
- Cultistorm Soundtrack by Graham Plowman: crafted especially for Cultistorm by one of the most renowned composers of the genre, this album gives you something to listen to as you uncover the twisted secrets of Arkham.
- Investigator Badge: this is a special Early Bird gift for our backers. Those backing the game with a “Collector Pledge” or those who support us in the first 72 hours will receive the badge as a free gift. Later it can be purchased separately as an Add-on.
Illustrated Script Book – with 500+ flash fiction stories
We have devised an efficient way to enhance your immersion in the Lovecraftian atmosphere of Cultistorm: we bring you a Script Book with 500+ flash fiction stories from the weird fiction genre. Every character and location (whether from this world or another), the investigators, the cultist sects, and the different events all get their own stories. You can also read a story before an encounter with a cultist – not only will this intensify your gaming experience, it can also have a direct effect on the encounter. The narrative gameplay with the Script Book makes Cultistorm a deep and truly story-driven adventure.
The Script Book will come as a beautiful hardcover book with full-page colour illustrations.
Hardcover Short Story Collection
We want to make the game as immersive as possible. Instead of adding flavour texts to cards, we are compiling short stories with the help of a team of talented weird fiction writers. To accompany the game we offer a complete volume of short stories, which is worthy of Lovecraft’s literary heritage and the genre requirements he created. The short stories are directly connected to the different casts of cultists, locations, and Great Old Ones appearing in the game, creating a detailed world and a rich backstory on a scale quite unusual in the realm of board games.
Soundtrack album – with music by Graham Plowman
If you feel like listening to some music while reading or playing, you can turn on Graham Plowman’s album, which he created especially for Cultistorm. Graham is perhaps the most acknowledged composer of the Lovecraftian subculture. He creates his Lovecraftian atmosphere with a mixture of symphonic orchestra and choir music, using instruments from Lovecraft’s own time. His music is powerful, authentic, and of incredibly high quality.
Before you continue to read this page, why not listen to the track below? Turn up the volume and let Graham Plowman’s fantastic music transport you into the universe of Cultistorm…
We would like to offer a very special opportunity for the most dedicated of Investigators: joining one of the most dangerous operations of the Agency and fighting as an undercover agent within the ranks of the Cultists.
You can join this mission by pledging for the special “Undercover Agent Pledge” – but places are limited!
The first 13 brave fighters will have the chance to join the ranks of the undercover agents. We will require mugshots from the participants, to be illustrated by our graphic designers. In this way you can become part of the Cultistorm universe via the 13 undercover Investigator cards. The aim of this pledge is straightforward: we want to allow our fans and backers to support us to a bigger extent via this pledge.
What you get with this pledge:
- Collector Pledge
- An additional Collector Pledge as a present
- Free Reinforcement Has Arrived Add-on
- Free Game Night: Lovecraft Country Add-on
- Free 3D Monster Box if it will be available
- A unique Cultist card with your own portrait
- Your very own short story in the Script Book
- Free shipping
- All unlocked Stretch Goals
As part of our Kickstarter campaign, Purple Meeple Games is delighted to a limited offer a favourably priced Retail Pledge aimed at brick-and-mortar stores, online shops, board game clubs, and gaming cafés. Cultistorm is a unique board game project offering a thrilling gaming experience which exceeds the limits of most ordinary board games.
Retail Pledge includes:
- all unlocked Stretch Goals
- all Kickstarter Exclusive items
- FREE Game Night Expansion for every bundle
- FREE Metal Investigator Badge for every box in every pledge levels for your all customers
- with discount price
A commitment deposit of $354 is required for the Retail Pledge – this is the discounted price of one Base Game bundle ($59 x 6 base games / bundle) as a minimum order. You can finalise your order after the Kickstarter Campaign (the balance will be due once production commences).
If you are interested, do not hesitate and take a closer look at our limited offer – we hope it will inspire you. Please visit our retail page or write to email@example.com – our colleague Viktor will contact you as soon as possible.
Each player chooses an Investigator with a unique upgradable ability. Each player receives their unique starter action deck.
In each turn, Cultists appear on one of the five Location Cards. The number of Cultists is determined by the circulating Cultist marker. Its position can be modified by several factors. Cultists who have appeared but have not been vanquished remain on their Locations. The Cultist die is rolled for every Location; its combat symbol is added to the strength of the Cultist appearing there.
In the next phase, the Terror marker moves forward: it influences the occurrence of terrifying events lying in wait for the players. The Terror marker can advance as an effect of played actions or as a penalty. It brings the special Event Cards of the Terror Circle into play, depending on their strength. The players have the opportunity to reveal, postpone or modify these events.
The Investigators roll their own dice and place them in the middle of the board, forming a shared pool. Then they discard their used cards and draw new Action Cards from their own decks up to their hand limit.
The longest and most important part of the game is the Investigator phase. Players determine where to move to, what local actions to carry out, and how to fight the Cultists. They can also decide to search for new equipment or to use other special actions. When fighting Cultists, the players can use their action decks, their special abilities, the support of their fellow Investigators, and an Investigation die – all these tools help the players to create the combination of symbols they need to defeat the Cultists. The Cultists’ values are modified by their own die rolls, their special rules or effects, and their Locations.
The cards in the Investigators’ action decks consist of two parts: magical symbols for combat – these can be used by the players themselves – and supporting effects that aid other Investigators. Whenever a player uses a card, they have to decide whether they want to use the magical symbol or the supporting effect. The uniqueness of Cultistorm’s cooperative gameplay is that the actions of a player’s cards can only be used by giving the cards to other players. There are no Action Cards with actions the players can carry out by themselves. During the game, players can also evolve the skills of their own Investigators and unlock special actions connected to certain Locations.
Once each Investigator has occupied his or her chosen Location, they play their actions in an order determined by their Locations: they search, fight, heal, or support other Investigators by using the options on their cards. When an Investigator defeats a Cultist, they receive a trophy they can later use in combat or to level up. The dimensional gates can also be sealed with these trophies, which is required to win the game.
We will be honest: the game is hard. However, those who have read Lovecraft’s stories know that only this atmosphere is worthy of the Master. The Investigators have to work in a well-coordinated manner, carefully contemplating whether to use their cards for their own goals or to help others. Although luck only plays a small part in the fight against the Cultists, that part can still turn out to be fateful, owing to the game’s fragile equilibrium. The players can also discover important and unexpected things during their research. If too many Cultists are in play at any one time, the Investigators lose. If even one Great Old One gets through, the Investigators lose. If they fail to seal every Location in time, the Investigators lose. If even one of them dies, the Investigators lose. They can win by sealing all five Locations before the Cultist deck runs out; if the Endgame card is not activated on the Terror Circle; by managing to kill the summoned Great Old Ones; or by vanquishing every Cultist on every Location.
We are working hard on the final versions of all the rulebooks. Currently we can only share the rulebook of the base game . Please note that this is not the print-ready version, as it needs further editing.
We would like to bring to your attention that this version has undergone vast improvements as well as professional linguistic editing and proofreading since the production of our introductory video several months ago. As a rule of thumb, should any questions or inconsistencies arise, the rulebook is always correct.
We promise to release official rulebook translations in German, French, Spanish, Italian, and Hungarian. These will be made available as PDF downloads.
Here are short overviews of all expansions for Cultistorm:
The Narrative Expansion is one of Cultistorm’s greatest extensions, giving you not just a literary background, but a completely new gaming experience. The Add-on includes a set of special cards which are used when encountering a Cultist with special symbols. The stories in the Script Book are not just mood elements: they can directly affect your game in a variety of ways, depending on which choice you choose to make during these special encounters.
The “Storm of Cultists” Campaign Expansion unfolds over the course of a seven-part story. It is played in separate sessions with unique and consecutive missions and introduces completely new game mechanics.
The “Behind the Scenes” Overlord Expansion allows one of the players to assume the role of H. P. Lovecraft and take over the game. The other players unite to fight him.
We have prepared the “Lonely Struggle” Solo Expansion for those solitary detectives who wish to take up the fight on their own.
Nine minor expansions
The OTHERWORLDS expansion adds a special Location card to every Great Old One. These cards represent otherworldly dimensions which open in our world after the arrival of the Great Old Ones.
The ANCIENT RELICS are powerful objects from other dimensions. To obtain them, the Investigators need to find the right Locations and open the dimensional gates themselves, risking their sanity.
DARK RITUALS activates the experience points on the Investigator Action Cards. They can be spent to learn dark rituals from ancient tomes. These can then be used to unlock further actions.
The CULISTS EVENTS expansion adds a Cultist event deck. At the beginning of each Cultist phase, the players need to draw a card from this deck and watch as the event unfolds. This rarely bodes well for the players…
In the INNOCENT VICTIMS expansion the Investigators have to save civilians caught up in the fight between Investigators and Cultists from becoming Cultists themselves. However, this is just one of their many tasks: the Investigators still need to defeat the Cultists and the Great Old Ones in order to save the world.
The OTHERWORLDLY DISEASES expansion unleashes diseases of unknown origins onto the world. The Investigators must stop them from spreading and infecting cities.
The DANGEROUS PUZZLES adds a six-card special relic to the Item deck; the players must find it to win the game. The pieces of the puzzle are lethal objects in themselves, not to mention that cards unleashing unexpected and horrible events also enter the deck alongside them.
RESEARCH EVENTS is an expansion that actually helps the Investigators, making the game easier by countering other modules that make the game even harder. When an Investigator carries out research, he draws a card and applies its (usually positive) effect.
The RORSCHACH TEST expansion was inspired by one of the short stories in our collection, “The Inkblots”. More and more otherworldly inkblots are appearing throughout the game. They do not influence the game immediately, but if the players accumulate a certain number of unresolved inkblots, a Great Old One is summoned, whose dreams are depicted by the blots.
Lovecraft Country: Game Night Expansion
We have developed a special and innovative expansion module for Cultistorm which makes it possible to play Cultistorm at multiple tables: the games played at the various tables are connected and merge into a gigantic common fight. In this way Cultistorm can be played by 30 people simultaneously, the events of the different teams influencing each other. This feature forges the separate games – which are complete by themselves – into one epic gaming experience. This expansion module was developed especially with game nights and board game clubs in mind – as far as we know, this gameplay module would already make Cultistorm a unique gaming experience.
The prototypes sent for review videos did not contain the miniatures, therefore meeples are used instead.
There will not be any Stretch Goals augmenting the quality of the cards or adding embossed letters to the box, because we have already designed everything this way. For Cultistorm, high quality is the default option, not an optional extra.
What this means:
- 310gsm linen finish cards
- Laser-engraved dice
- Practical plastic vacuum-form insert, big enough to hold sleeved cards
Our manufacturing partner:
Some example projects of LongPack Games are Raiders of the North Sea, Darkest Night Second Edition, Unfair, Grimm Forest, Robinson Crusoe, Kingdomino, Dream Home, Planet of the Apes, Panic Mansion, Carcosa, and Planetarium.
We will collect shipping costs via our Pledge Manager after the campaign ends.
Below is a list of estimated shipping costs. Although we did everything in our power to provide you with precise estimates, they are just estimates, and costs may change based on weight increases owing to unlocked stretch goals and any optional buys you may select.
If you do not see your country in our shipping list, there might be various reasons for it. It might not be considered “friendly” for shipping or it is considered too expensive/difficult to ship to. Please send us a private message and we will do our best to find a solution.
In most cases, you will not face customs charges or VAT either, as we offer Customs Friendly Shipping to the countries where most of our backers are located.
Backers who do not complete their pledge manager by the deadline (which will be specified via email notification) may need to have their rewards shipped from the EU. This may incur additional shipping costs for international backers that would need to be paid for at that time.
Due to the size of the rewards and the risk of bounce back, we cannot ship to PO Boxes either domestically or internationally.
We have prepared daily updates for all of the 21 days of our campaign. Each update will have a specific theme. Of course we will also react to events and milestones of the campaign, and we will write about Stretch Goals as well. However, we wish to introduce you to the background of the Cultistorm project, especially focusing on the 14 expansion modules.
Here is a short summary of what to expect over the coming 21 days. This will not only help you to view the information, it will also aid you in searching for a specific topic, as we will update this summary with links. All updates are scheduled for release daily at 3 PM (EDT).
- DAY 1: Covers general campaign information, the Early Bird promotion, 3D Monster Box availability, the planned Stretch Goal structure and information about shipping.
- DAY 2: The Cultistorm Story. We introduce you to the birth of the project and the development of the game, the team behind it, the difficulties we encountered, the lessons we learned from our previous campaign, and some post-Kickstarter plans. Expect this to be a very honest and personal update.
- DAY 3: Introducing the Narrative expansion and the Lovecraftian atmosphere we are trying to create for our game.
- DAY 4: Introducing the Campaign mode expansion.
- DAY 5: New detectives join the Agency
- DAY 6: Short Story Collection: introducing the concept, the authors, and the stories.
- DAY 7: Showcasing the Solo mode expansion, compatibility between the expansions, and personalisation of the game.
- DAY 8: The Birth of Evil – Introducing of the Overlord expansion.
- DAY 9: We will show you our most innovative expansion, which can be played at 6 boards simultaneously with up to 30 players to create an epic communal game. This is the Game Night expansion, complete with a printed cloth map of Lovecraft Country.
- DAY 10: Graham Plowman and the soundtrack of Cultistorm, along with a brand new track from the album.
- DAY 11: The Worlds are Colliding! – Introducing the ‘Otherworlds’ module.
- DAY 12: In Search of Lost Artefacts – Introducing the ‘Ancient Relics’ module.
- DAY 13: Darkness Comes from Within! – Introducing the ‘Dark Rituals’ module.
- DAY 14: Introducing Cultist Events, Creatures, and Special Cultists (in other words, how you can adjust the game’s difficulty).
- DAY 15: Become an Undercover Agent and be a part of the Cultistorm Universe!
- DAY 16: Civilians on the Board! – Introducing the ‘Innocent Victims’ module.
- DAY 17: Too Late for Vitamin C! – Introducing the ‘Otherworldly Diseases’ module.
- DAY 18: Shattered Pieces of Terror – Introducing the ‘Dangerous Puzzles’ module.
- DAY 19: The forces of evil go on vacation! – Introducing the ‘Research Events’ module.
- DAY 20: Get to know us! Let us introduce to you the team behind Cultistorm!
- DAY 21: Monsters Emerging from our Subconscious – Introducing the ‘Rorschach Test’ module.
Risks and challenges
A huge, cross-cultural, and ambitious project like Cultistorm will require tremendous efforts from our team. We are passionate and committed to this project and we are constantly learning and developing ourselves for the benefit of our games and backers. We promise to keep you informed on the project with regular and frequent updates so that you can always be sure of your investment.
We will be honest: this is our first Kickstarter project — but we have been preparing for it for three years. Sandor Szucs, designer of Cultistorm, won the first Hungarian game designing competition held by Piatnik in 2014. Co-Founder of Purple Meeple Games, Zoltan Aczel founded the GÉMKLUB Board Game Publishing company, which represents numerous international publishers in Hungary (e.g. Asmodee, Blue Orange, Czech Games, Gigamic, Portal Games, Rebel, Rio Grande, Thinkfun).
The estimated delivery date for this project is May 2020, but keep in mind this is only an estimate. Also, due to the logistics of international shipping, backers in different regions of the world may receive their rewards sooner than others. We have done our best to minimise this as much as possible and we are always happy to refund pledges if for some unforeseen reason the game cannot be delivered at all.
We offer a full refund, including fees, for up to 14 days after the project ends. After the 14-day-period and until we pay for the production agreement with the manufacturer, we offer a no questions asked refund minus Kickstarter and payment processing fees (which we cannot recover). Once we have paid for the production agreement with the manufacturer, we do not offer a refund. If we fail to fulfil your game, you are entitled to a full refund, including fees.
All refunds after the 14-day-period may be processed via reversed payment through Stripe to your credit card, at our discretion. Refunds within 14 days are issued through payment reversal via Stripe to your credit card.
This project is funded in USD. All refunds will be issued in USD, minus applicable Kickstarter and payment processing fees depending on the time of your refund request.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)