I love Dominion! In fact, I love it so much that I have everything they have made so far. This stack of boxes on my shelf was definitely getting to be a nuisance, especially when I want to take it to my friends' houses.
So I decided to make a box to store everything in. After a bit of research I stumbled on this:
"[Donald X.] For a while I have been planning to stop after the next two sets (Dark Ages and Guilds)." http://opinionatedgamers.com/2012/05/11/the-art-of-design-interviews-to-game-designers-19-donald-x-vaccarino/
Now that I knew how many cards there would be at the end I decided to make a box that was economical, designed for flexibility, and would fit all of the games with enough extra room for future promo cards but not too much as to be a nuisance. After some trial and error, this is what I eventually came up with.
The trouble is that not everybody has all of the cards and some have them sleeved and some do not. So I eventually decided on four different sizes that will suit just about every Dominion players needs. Two boxes will be for sleeved cards, and two for unsleeved cards; one of each pair will hold about half of the currently released Dominion cards, and the other will hold all of them.
After 6 months of researching and countless iterations of design these boxes are what I believe to be the best solution available to store Dominion and its expansions for the price.
- Removable lid - The lid hinges but is also removable which make set up a breeze.
- Feet - The sides of the box are shaped in order to have a space for your fingers to get under the box to pick it up. No smashed fingers and awkwardly trying to pick the box up.
- Latching lid - A quality brass hasp will adorn each box for latching the lid securely in place.
- Four count them, four, different sizes - With a variety of sizes, you can pick the box that will perfectly suit your needs. Whether your cards are sleeved or not and no matter how many games you own, we have the box for you!
- High Quality Plywood Construction - All boxes are constructed with the highest quality birch plywood around, and laser cut for precision joints. (And quite an attractive appearance if I do say so myself!)
- Extra space - The space in the front of the box is to store player mats and tokens as well as anything else you might want to store. On the larger boxes, the victory and treasure card trays fit inside.
- Anything else you can think of - I am sure that there are about a million other cool features about this box that we just haven't thought of that you will! Tally up those on the plus side for us if you will.
- Trays Times Two - Each set of trays comes in a pair.
- Treasure Card Tray - The treasure card tray has five compartments that will each fit up to 60 sleeved cards or 80 unsleeved cards.
- Victory Card Tray - The victory card tray has five compartments also, but is smaller because it needs only hold up to 30 sleeved cards or 40 unsleeved cards per compartment.
- Sliding Lids - The lids that fit the trays allow for permanent storage of the cards that you will be using every game. This allows for quick set up and take down.
- Trays fit in the box - If you have enough cards to merit getting the large boxes, these trays will fit right in the front storage area. (and just between you and me, you might just want to get the large box and use it to convince the boss lady/man that you need to get the other games to fill the box up!)
- Tapered front edge - The front edge is at an angle making it easy to draw cards from when you gain them in the game.
- OCD Defender - Do you have a friend that is OCD (or as he/she prefers it CDO, its in alphabetical order that way after all), well this will keep their rather clean and well kept hands off of the stacks of cards as it will help keep all of the cards nice and neatly organized on the table during play so that they don't have to.
- Versatility - Not only does this organizer hold all of the 10 kingdom cards, it also has room for 4 more card stacks in the Supply as needed. For those of you who love Dark Ages and Cornucopia, you will love this!
- Sleeved or Unsleeved - Are your cards sleeved or are they naked? The Organizer will fit up to 15 unsleeved cards or up to 12 standard sleeved cards comfortably.
- Control Freak - Dominion players all want their cards to be organized how they want them. Whether you want them organized by set, alphabetically, or in another harebrained way, we have the perfect dividers for you.
- Title bar - At a glance of the title bar you will know how much the card costs, the title (obviously), what set its from, and a rough idea of what it does from the color coded strips at the top.
- Subtitle - Just bellow the title you will see a quick summary of the type of card it is and what it does.
- Rules and setup text - On each divider you will find text that explains any special setup, how that card plays in the game, and rules clarifications that may not be in the manual.
- Color coded Border- Each divider is color coded based on which set it is from.
- Quality material - The dividers are professionally printed and cut on high quality thick cover stock with a matte coating.
Sleeved cards in our calculations are sleeved with Mayday Games Standard Sleeves.
- The small boxes are designed to fit roughly half of the Dominion Cards released to date as well as the mats and tokens that are in some expansions.
- The large boxes are designed to fit all of the Dominion cards released to date as well as the mats, tokens, and the trays and play organizer offered in this project
- If using premium sleeved cards you will be able to fit approximately half of the currently released Dominion cards in the small sleeved box and all of the currently released Dominion cards in the Large Sleeved Box but only if you don't use the trays that are available in this project and you store your mats on top of the cards.
Play Organizer - One play organizer with enough slots to fit 10 kingdom card stacks plus 4 extra slots for other cards such as Tournament Prizes, Bane cards, Spoils, Mercenary, Madman, etc. This will fit into the large boxes but is too big to fit into the small boxes.
Card Dividers - Professionally printed and cut dividers for every card made to date.These are printed on glossy coated cover stock to provide rigid durable dividers.
Treasure and Victory Card Trays - One pair of Trays with lids that will store in the Large Boxes. These will permanently store up to 5 different cards in each box. One will store up to 60 sleeved or 80 unsleeved cards in each slot, and the other will store up to 30 sleeved or 40 unsleeved cards in each slot.
Small Box (unsleeved and sleeved)- This box is intended to fit roughly 1500 dominion cards with card dividers as well as the play mats and tokens that are included in Seaside, Prosperity, and Guilds. Without the mats and tokens it will fit approx. 1900 cards and dividers.
Large Box (unsleeved and sleeved)- This box is intended to fit all ~3000 currently available Dominion cards, card dividers, the play mats and all tokens, plus the card trays in the front slot, and finally the play organizer and rules sheets on top. Without the trays, mats, and tokens it will fit approx. 3800 cards.
Complete Set (Large unsleeved/sleeved Box) - This reward level includes one large box, one set of trays, one set of dividers, and one play organizer. This makes the game fast and easy to set up, take down, and it all perfectly fits into the large box (with a little extra room in case they add a few more cards).
Premium Hardwood Handmade Box - This box will have the same interior design as the large boxes above do. It will include one set of trays, dividers, and play organizer as detailed above. It will be handcrafted out of your choice of Ambrosia Maple, Oak, or Cherry. The lid will be hinged, the front will have latches, the sides will have handles, and the interior will be flocked with your choice of brown, black, or wine colors. This box will be the envy of all your gaming friends.
The following amounts may be added to your pledge to add the item to existing reward. (items will be identified in the survey after the project concludes)
Play Organizers (both regular thickness and extra thick for premium sleeves) - $20.00
Treasure and Victory Card Trays for Unsleeved or Standard Sleeved cards - $30.00
Extra Deep Treasure and Victory Card Trays for Premium Sleeved Cards - $35.00
Card Dividers - $30.00
If we fund for more than our goal we get quantity discounts. We want to pass those savings on to you by giving you cool stuff for no additional charge. If our funding exceeds the targets below, we will give you the corresponding stretch reward as well as all previous stretch rewards.
$7,500 - Pre-Defined Set Cards - We will make divider sized cards that will list all of the pre-defined sets included in the rules books. Combined with the rules that are listed on the dividers themselves, this will allow you to take the rulebooks out of your box completely. These will be included with every set of dividers.
$10,000 - Rubber feet - Rubber feet will be included with every box. These will prevent the boxes from sliding on any surface.
$12,500 - Rounded Corners on all Dividers - in order to prevent bent corners and improve durability.
$15,000 - Token Box - This box neatly fits into the storage area and will hold all the tokens in the game, it will have a similar design to the trays with the slanted front in order to make it easy to get out the different tokens. It has a sliding lid. Every set of trays will come with a token box.
$20,000 - Foam Block spacers - We will include with every box several foam blocks to use as spacers if a row isn't full.
$22,500 - Prefinished Plywood Play Organizer - At this benchmark we will make all of the play organizers out of Prefinished Plywood like the outside of all of the boxes are made of. This will give it a nicer look and feel as you play Dominion.
$25,000 - Trash Tray - If we reach this stretch goal we will include another separate tray for the trash cards. It will fit in snug next to the play mats and will allow you to use another compartment in your trays.
$27,500 - Elastic Bands to hold the rules on the box lid - We will install on all the premium boxes a fabric elastic band that will hold all of the rule books onto the top of the box.
$30,000 - Design on the Play Organizer - If we reach this stretch goal, we will add a nice design onto the top of all the Play Organizers to spice up the play area even more.
$35,000 - Text engraving - At this level, we will Engrave a single line of text up to 15 characters long into the top of the box. This can be your name, a short joke, or anything that is not offensive or obscene.
Risks and challenges
Over the last 6 months we have done everything in our power to foresee any potential problems with this project. That being said, we are sure that we missed something. And, some of what we do depends on other companies.
The supply of material and production schedule of the companies we work with have been taken into account in our estimate for delivery, but we do not control those and if they change there isn't much we can do about it.
The design of the box and cards is nearly complete but there are still some final touches to be added. Many of these minor changes/additions that need to be made will be decided with surveys and feedback by the backers of this project.
We have considered the scale of the project and how it might grow. As the number of backers increase however new challenges arise in terms of assembly and shipping. We are confident that we have a solution for these challenges but there is potential for some of the boxes to be late due to backing volume.
We are dedicated to ensuring the on-time delivery of an incredible product. Anything that happens to hinder that will be dealt with as quickly and as favorably as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The following dimensions are the current dimensions of each item. Since these are just the final prototypes and some of the feedback we get from the backers may influence design a little bit, they may change slightly but should not change much. These are the outside dimensions.
Small Unsleeved Box - 12" x 8.25" x 6.125"
Small Sleeved Box - 14" x 8.25" x 6.125"
Large Unsleeved Box - 12" x 16.5" x 6.125"
Large Sleeved Box - 14" x 16.5" x 6.125"
Play Organizer - 14" x 8.375" x .25"
Treasure Card Tray - 4.625" x 14" x 1.675"
Victory Card Tray - 4.375" x 14" x 1.125"
Premium Box - Approx. 19" x 14" or 12" x 5.75"
All rows in each box are 2.5" wide.
The boxes are designed to fit euro sized cards. The rows are 2.5" wide, most american sized cards are 2.5" wide and will not fit into the rows in these boxes. However, there are many games that will currently fit into these boxes.
We designed this box to be the perfect fit for Dominion, but we intend to make other boxes in the near future that will fit American sized card games and also other game specific solutions as well.
Support this project
- (30 days)