This project's funding goal was not reached on November 9, 2012.
About this project
Kindred is a non-profit space whose mission is to incubate emerging artisans via mentoring & a boutique. In addition to a retail space it will also be a place where we will host workshops & business classes. It is a collaboration between Creative Director Michelle Smith (founder of The Rock & Shop Market and indieNC), and EntreDot, a business mentoring organization. Michelle, a product designer herself, is passionate about shining a spotlight on the artisan community in North Carolina and helping these makers become more successful in their craft. Working with EntreDot together they have formed Kindred, a space that will help artisans expand their businesses.
We are excited about this project and working with our local community of makers. Our incubator program provides the resources and tools needed to grow: a personal business mentor, access to business advisory panels, networking with design & fashion industry leaders, business workshops, a retail space to showcase their wares and more.
A key feature of our program is our collaborative boutique space that will help provide the testing ground needed for artisans to merchandise their own products and gain traction without the high cost of leasing a much larger space. The boutique is located in a prime downtown location with lots of visibility and connections to a larger design community. Our goal is to create a trend-savvy boutique that looks and feels like a hip, modern store like Anthropologie but features local designers. We are hopeful that soon the businesses within our shop will expand into their own storefronts with the solid business foundation we have helped lay for them.
A SAMPLING OF THE BUSINESS WORKSHOPS WE'LL BE OFFERING:
- How to Write a Press Kit
- Pitch Your Story to the Media
- Take Better Product Photos
- Wholesale Your Product
- Hire Employees / Grow Your Business
- The Pros/Cons of Trade Shows
- Build A Better Brand
WHAT YOUR DONATION IS PAYING FOR:
- Modular Shelving Units - We are working with local wood worker and furniture maker Mas Sato to create modular shelving units for the designers to display their wares on. The benefit of these custom units is that they can accommodate a wide variety of wares from apparel to paper goods, so each designer has their own space while still maintaining a uniform, sleek aesthetic within the shop.
- Lighting - Currently, there is fluorescent lighting that hangs quite low. We'd like to replace these with track lighting and pendants to give the space a more boutique-like feel.
- Partition Wall - We are creating a partition wall to separate our workshop area from our retail area.
- Signage - We would like to install a sign at the entrance and on the windows.
Everyone who donates $5 or more receives a "Gift Pack" which includes a Kindred temporary tattoo and a Kindred sticker.
Contribute $500 or more and you will get a plaque with your name under one of the modular shelving units in the space.
See more about why a space like Kindred is important to our community in this video featured on TripreneurTV:
CONNECT WITH US:
- Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/kindredraleigh
- Twitter - http://twitter.com/kindred_raleigh
- Email - email@example.com
For more information or if you are an artisan interested in participating in our program please see our information sheet & pricing here. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are really excited about this concept and what the space will bring to Raleigh and the designers in this region. Thank you so much for your contribution and your help in spreading the word.
Big thanks to all the North Carolina designers who are wholesaling their goods to us to use as our campaign rewards. Also thank you to The Love Language whose music is playing in the background of the video above.
The ladies of Kindred (pictured above: Tracy, Elizabeth, Michelle & Whitney) & the EntreDot team
Risks and challenges
The challenge we face is making the space as beautiful as we envision it with the limited budget that we have. There are many pieces of the puzzle that need to be completed within the boutique to make it a functioning space that consumers and designers want to be a part of.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
- (45 days)