OrcPub Mobile (Canceled)
OrcPub Mobile (Canceled)
Mobile version of The New OrcPub with snappy loading and full offline capabilities, including local ad-hoc networking.
Mobile version of The New OrcPub with snappy loading and full offline capabilities, including local ad-hoc networking. Read more
About this project
The OrcPub Level Up Kickstarter has been a huge success and is live at OrcPub2.com! We are still cranking on the Level Up roadmap as it evolves with user feedback. What we didn't anticipate, however, is the huge demand for a native mobile app. The mobile app will have all of the features the current and future OrcPub2 Web apps, with the additional features:
- iOS and Android compatible.
- Optimized Layouts for Mobile and Tablet.
- 100% Offline Capable. Everything will work great with no internet connection, period.
- Offline Networking. You will be able to set up mobile ad-hoc networks with your gaming group without an internet connection!
- Super-fast Load. Since everything you need is on your device, it will load almost instantly.
- Unlimited Device Storage. Store as much as your device can hold.
- Cloud Sync. Optional cloud syncing with a free tier and an unlimited tier with OrcPub Elite.
- Real-time updates. For example, DMs will instantly see changes made to players' characters.
Features At Launch
All of the current features from OrcPub2.com will be included at launch. These include:
- Full-featured character builder with PDF export and digital character sheet.
- Full-featured item builder.
- Live global search (search that returns results as you type and without leaving the page you are on).
- Die roller, character name generator, and tavern name generator all integrated into the same global search interface.
- Party builder.
- Spell, monster, and magic item lists.
Since the Web app and mobile apps share most of the same code, they will get the same updates. After the mobile app release these features will follow in rapid succession (in no particular order since I constantly re-evaluate priority based on user feedback):
- Digital character sheet improvements.
- Full character sharing between DMs and players.
- Encounter builder.
- Combat tracker allowing you to quickly set up using your previously built parties and encounters.
- Monster builder.
- Spell builder.
- Class builder.
- Race builder.
- Additional, more optimized character sheets that fit your character stats better.
- Party printouts.
- Encounter printouts.
- Combat tracker printouts.
- Printouts for everything else.
- Much, much more.
Side note: as with OrcPub2.com, icons made by Lorc, Caduceus, and Delapouite, available on http://game-icons.net. Thanks guys, your icons rock!
What Will the Funding Be Used For?
Funding will be used for infrastructure costs (the server bills) and to allow us to continue working on OrcPub2 full time without starving. When the Kickstarter funds our first priority will be to finish out the mobile app, then continue adding awesome features to both the mobile and Web apps. If, for some reason, the Kickstarter fails to fund, the mobile app will not be developed and we will likely be forced to shut down OrcPub.com and OrcPub2.com.
Anticipated Pricing at Launch
OrcPub2 is still in beta and currently free for storing unlimited characters and for all of the add-ons. This will change in the near future, probably around the time of the mobile app rollout. We will start charging for unlimited cloud storage, but will have a free tier allowing you to store maybe 10 characters. If, at that point, you have more characters in your account than that you will still have access to all of them, you just will not be able to create any new ones until you are back under the free limit. Also, at the time of launch, if you have characters using add-ons that you have not purchased, you will still have access to those characters, you will just not be able to create any new ones using that content. This is our thanks to you for participating in beta testing.
Add-ons will provide OrcPub summaries of non-SRD content as the Web application does now (some are missing now but will be added), which in most cases works out better in the app and on the PDFs because it is more compact and OrcPub does the calculations for you.
We would like to keep OrcPub free, as it has been for the past 2 years, but in order to continue our working rapidly adding cool new features, we need more funding. Here is what pricing will likely look like, but is subject to change:
Web app without OrcPub Elite and with ads: free
OrcPub Elite (unlimited cloud storage, ad-free, and exclusive content on both Web app and native mobile app): $2.99/month
Basic App with SRD, ads, and limited local creation storage: free
Base App with SRD, ad-free, and unlimited local creation storage: $4.99
UA Revised Class Options: $1.99
UA Revised Subclasses: $1.99
UA Feats for Races: $1.99
UA Feats for Skills: $1.99
UA Starter Spells: $2.99
UA Trio of Subclasses: $1.99
UA Wizard Revisited: $1.99
UA Mystic: $2.99
UA Warlock and Wizard: $1.99
UA Sorcerer: $1.99
UA Ranger and Rogue: $1.99
UA Artificer: $1.99
UA Paladin: $1.99
UA Monk: $1.99
UA Fighter: $1.99
UA Druid: $1.99
UA Cleric: $1.99
UA Bard: $1.99
UA Barbarian: $1.99
UA Revised Ranger: $1.99
UA The Faithful: $1.99
UA Feats: $1.99
UA Gothic Heroes: $1.99
UA Kits of Old: $1.99
UA That Old Black Magic: $1.99
UA Underdark: $1.99
UA Prestige Classes: $1.99
UA Ranger: $1.99
UA Modern Magic: $1.99
UA Awakened Mystic: $1.99
UA Waterborne Adventures: $1.99
UA Eberron: $1.99
Planeshift Amonkhet: $1.99
Planeshift Kaladesh: $1.99
Planeshift Innistrad: $1.99
Planeshift Zendikar: $1.99
Risks and challenges
The mobile app is about 75% complete, but we need your help to get us to the first release.
For those of you interested in the technical details, we are using React Native, which allows us to reuse most of our Web app code in our native apps (in fact, React Native extends even to Windows, so we could reuse the same in a desktop Windows app). The additional work is in the view layer, however, where instead of working with 'div' and 'spans', we are working with 'Views' and such. We have the basic native version of the character builder working, but we still have a lot to flesh out.
Another advantage to the way OrcPub is currently built is that it uses client-side rendering, so an offline native mobile app will require very few architecture changes from the online Web app.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (26 days)