Undead Apocalypse: War of the Damned (Canceled)
Undead Apocalypse: War of the Damned (Canceled)
Zombies! vs Vampires! vs Humans! vs Werewolves! in a fast-paced struggle for world domination — with high-quality miniatures!
Zombies! vs Vampires! vs Humans! vs Werewolves! in a fast-paced struggle for world domination — with high-quality miniatures! Read more
About this project
Gameplay Demo Video now available. Jeff & Steve of Trouble Brothers walk through Undead Apocalypse, showing the components and discussing basic gameplay. Note: Game in video is one of our prototypes. The final game will have even more refined art.
Undead Apocalypse is a fast-paced, beautifully-designed board game for 2 to 4 players. Each game lasts 30 to 90 minutes and pits factions of Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves, and post-apocalyptic Humans against each other in a fight to the death (or undeath, as it were).
Think Mad Max meets Walking Dead with a little detour through Transylvania. We’ve put together an amazing team of artists, production people, and game designers to bring this crazed vision to life—and we hope you’ll join us in realizing the next evolution of the supernatural war game.
After World War III the people of Earth thought it couldn’t get any worse; they were wrong. The nuclear devastation was bad enough, reducing once-great cities to rubble and forcing hardy survivors to scavenge for resources. But soon—whether the result of radiation, toxins, or supernatural wrath—ancient evils long thought mere legend awoke and took hold in the real world.
[CLICK HERE] for an instant download of Print & Play (PDF) at ANY backer level!!
Hi. I’m Ben Radford and I have one of the coolest day jobs in the world: I’m a real-life scientific paranormal investigator. If you're into weird news or "unexplained mysteries," you might have have seen me on Good Morning America, the Discovery Channel, the History Channel, the National Geographic Channel, ABC News, BBC, CNN, MTV, as well as in print in Wall Street Journal, Wired, The New York Times, Vanity Fair, and published in 20 books. I travel the world investigating weird and mysterious phenomena including psychics, ghosts, exorcisms, miracles, Bigfoot, lake monsters, UFOs, and crop circles using scientific methods. I’m probably best known as the guy who definitively solved the mystery of the Hispanic vampire el chupacabra in 2010 (for details see my book Tracking the Chupacabra: The Vampire Beast in Fact, Fiction, and Folklore). I'm also co-host of the award-winning podcast MonsterTalk, where we interview experts on the science and folklore of monsters. I even had a character named after me in a 2010 monster movie!
What has this got to do with board games? you might quite rightly ask. Well, I’ve always been a board game fan and a few years ago I designed and published a limited edition board game called Playing Gods that a bunch of people (even besides my mom) really liked. And of course, inevitably folks asked about a sequel. I’m not a big fan of sequels (Caddyshack 2, really?), but I had another idea that combined my love of monster folklore with my love for board games.
So for the past year I’ve been developing Undead Apocalypse: War of the Damned. It’s a fast-paced, fun board game with high quality miniatures created by Lasha Tskhondia, a ridiculously-talented sculptor in the Republic of Georgia who did all the miniatures for my previous board game Playing Gods. I’ve also pulled together a team of top-notch game designers, artists, and producers to polish the game and help me to the next level. But I need your help to get the game out of the grave and walking the earth.
In Undead Apocalypse, each player controls one of four supernatural groups: Zombies, Vampires, Werewolves, and Humans. Each clan has its own special abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. These are all based on the deep history and lore that I researched for each monster group. And while the Humans don’t have the carnivorous, feral strength of the werewolves, or the reflexes and seduction of the vampires, or the refined palate of the brain-slurping zombies, they do have access to something just as good as magic: advanced technology.
The year is 2060, decades after the final World War. The battlefield is Europe, a toxic wasteland of destroyed cities and overgrown forests. In the ruins of this devastated world, pockets of technology can still be found, including armor and weapons (including chainsaws and machine guns). Players lead their troops (commanded by human and half-human/undead leaders with extra intelligence and feral cunning) to scavenge food, weapons, and other resources left behind in the wasteland. But there is something else waiting to be uncovered: unholy grimoires—ancient magic books—that can be found and used to control the undead and humans alike...
Fortified with found weapons and magic items, players battle across Europe using miniatures, resource tokens, and action cards. Gameplay is fast and furious—with an emphasis on strategy. Only the most ruthless faction will prevail in this War of the Damned.
And although fighting zombies is risky, backing Undead Apocalypse is not. Read more…
Each game will contain the following:
- Lavishly illustrated game board showing the wasteland that was once Europe
- Four high-quality 54mm miniatures depicting the leader of each group
- 115 wooden game pieces depicting minions and resources (BUT these may be upgraded to optional 32mm miniatures if we can hit our first stretch goal)
- Four player player information cards with lore and statistics for each faction
- Four action card decks customized for each group
- An event deck that gives variety and challenge to each round of the game
- Quality die cut Resource, Fortress, and Reagent tokens for the board during gameplay
- One custom 10-sided die
- Full-color rule book
No great game is created in a vacuum. That’s why every backer (even at the $1 level) will get EARLY ACCESS to a print & play PDF version of the beta version available before the campaign ends. You’ll be able to tell us what you think right from the start and possibly even help influence the final version of the game.
We also have various reward levels with lots of fun goodies, including:
- The Undead Apocalypse board game—meticulously crafted and featuring high-quality components and 54mm high-quality miniatures
- A collectible limited edition of Ben’s first board game: Playing Gods, signed by Ben. Note: Playing Gods is part of a limited-quantity reward tier. Once this is gone, it’s gone.
- Extra miniatures for both Undead Apocalypse and Playing Gods, including the jumbo sized 6” resin miniature of the chain-gun wielding Badass Buddha from Playing Gods, available exclusively to Undead Apocalypse supporters
- Download of Undead Apocalypse: Book of Secrets — all the lore and history behind the monsters of UA
- Super nifty UA T-shirt
- An archival quality diecut print of the game art by Santa Fe paper artist Valerie Rangel
- Two of Ben Radford’s books: Scientific Paranormal Investigation and Tracking the Chupacabra
- A custom-sculpted miniature: YOU as a zombie, werewolf, vampire, or human leader (limited)
- Get written into the lore. You get to name one of the undead or human leaders (limited)
- Ben speaks at your event or convention -or- Ben hosts a private four-hour tournament of Undead Apocalypse at your location for you and your friends
- And much more!
By popular demand we are offering some additional add-ons (with more possibly revealed as stretch goals are met):
- The Badass Buddha of Enforced Enlightenment ($50): He’s an oversized 6" resin Buddha with a chaingun from Playing Gods. Shipped 30 days after campaign ends. Free shipping to US. Outside US, please add $25. Read more about him here.
- Die-cut Art Poster by Valerie Rangel ($200): backers get to vote on which design. Free shipping to US. Outside US, please add $45.
Follow this simple four step process to order an Add-on:
1) Make sure you pledge first (at any level). Add-ons are only available to folks who have made a pledge
2) Click on the blue "Manage Pledge" button in the top right of the Kickstarter page
3) Increase your pledge by the cost of the Add-on(s) you wish to receive. Keep your preferred pledge level selected. Do not change your pledge level.
4) At the end of the campaign you will receive a Kickstarter Survey which you’ll use to tell us which Add-ons you wish to receive. Easy!
We have some eye-popping stretch goals in mind for Undead Apocalypse that will be revealed as the campaign progresses.
Our Undead Apocalypse team is working to bring you the ultimate Zombies vs. Vampires vs. Werewolves vs. Humans experience. Spearheading the efforts is award-winning game designer Mr. Jeff McCord (creator of the legendary video game Sword of Fargoal and formerly of Front Porch Classics, a Seattle-based game company). Jeff is joined by Randy Nargi (author, filmmaker, and fellow monster fan), Steve Shippert (former NY finance guy who now develops game mechanics), a bevy of notable artists including Matt Dixon, Jeff Zornow, Valerie Rangel, and Jesper Willumsen, miniatures modeller extraordinaire Lasha Tskhondia, Jim Dawson of Firewheel Casting, and many more twisted individuals who are united in their dark dedication to bringing this unholy creation to life. Special thanks to the fine folks at Videocopilot for their great tutorials and plugins which we used in our game trailer.
I’ve been working on Undead Apocalypse for a year already, developing the high-level concept and game mechanics. Over the past several months we’ve done extensive playtesting and refinements. We also have the leader miniatures designed and sculpted, so done and done. We’ve developed key art for the board and the box as well, and I'm feeling very good about the progress to date. Additionally, we’ve lined up suppliers (and back-up suppliers) for our game components, so all we need now is you guys to say “go” and we’re off to the werewolf races. Our diabolical plan calls for Undead Apocalypse to crawl from the earth by Halloween 2013.
Risks and challenges
While it is true that any project involving manufacturing and printing may encounter production delays or issues, our team is experienced in creating and shipping high-quality board games (notably Playing Gods). That being said, we will be carefully working on quality control—especially in the area of miniatures. We also will identify back-up suppliers for all our game components in case there are any production issues or delays. Due to the popularity of miniatures (especially in Kickstarter projects), it’s getting tougher to find good casting companies that are not booked months in advance. Fortunately, we have a long relationship with an outstanding casting operation and they are ready to go starting in early July. Since we have a number of the important elements completed already (including sculpts of the main miniatures and key artwork), we are confident that we will be able to deliver Undead Apocalypse into your boney little fingers by Halloween.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (35 days)