Dark Meridian is a unique fusion of RTS, RPG, and TPS, that brings together action and strategy in an all-out battle for supremacy. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on June 4, 2012.
About this project
- Seamlessly switch between playing as an RTS commander and playing as a combatant/squad leader with close 3rd person view.
- As a commander: gather resources, build buildings, research technology, and make alliances with various creatures.
- As a squad leader: command up to 6 other AI units with an intuitive control system driven by goals and objectives.
- Use the flexible multiplayer team setup to create up to 4 teams with any combination of players and/or AI.
- Wage war in epic battles with up to 32 human players and scores of AI units.
- Choose the location and boundaries of your play area to be anywhere in the open world, allowing for thousands of possible map variations.
- Create and develop a unique, persistent character. Choose a magic type and combat style, and equip your character with a wide variety of weapons and armor. Strategize as you attain levels and progress through the RPG-inspired character system.
- Choose to become a ranged marksman, a skilled fighter, an arcane mage, a great leader, or any combination of these by focusing on a play style and allocating the skill and attribute points awarded to you as you see fit.
- Equip your character using the rich loot system that awards player for feats on the battle field with a limitless number of generated weapons and armor that have magic bonuses, level requirements, and cool names.
- Recruit and command various types of AI units, including: melee, ranged, flying, mounts, siege engines, and colossal giants.
- Glide, fly, charge, and climb as you travel and fight from the backs of unique mounts with different attack styles and methods of travel.
- Us a variety of siege engines to bombard your enemy’s defenses or to defend your own town. Man the siege engines yourself or give them orders as a commander or squad leader.
- Destroy the enemy’s buildings and defensive structures, and experience the destruction with realistic physics that enhance gameplay.
- Use the cover of night or the increased visibility of day to your strategic advantage as the battle rage through night and day cycles.
- Capture and control strategic points and teleporters in the world to give your team an advantage as you coordinate sieges and defend your territory.
Who are we?
We are a small group of game developers who decided it was time to break away from the large publisher-operated studios where we worked and pursue our dream of indie game development. We want to make games we are passionate about instead of the working on the same old sequels each year. We come from an extensive background of professional game development, with team members that have shipped numerous titles on just about every platform out there. Some of our team members have worked on big games with massive budgets, but there are no Diablo’s or Halo’s on our resumes. Our previous work is mainly made up of sports titles, kid/family games, and a few budget titles. We are a group of engineers and artists with a shared vision and the drive to create a great game. This is our first project as a team and we are not billing this as an AAA title. It is an indie title being built by a small no-name studio with passion and drive to create a great game that we hope our audience will love. The video above shows what our team has built from scratch and the core aspects of our game design. We believe the video demonstrates our ability to finish the game based on what we have already done, and we hope that it shows enough unique and exciting gameplay for people to be convinced that this project, and our team, is worth backing.
Our story so far
We started out years ago as small group getting together on weekends and evenings, working on game concepts and prototypes. After going through tons of ideas and prototypes, we hammered out the concept and design that became Dark Meridian.
It was time to jump in with both feet, so we drew up our business plans, and started creating our game. Our small team worked like crazy building our game and pitching it and our company to publishers and potential sources of funding.
Unfortunately, we had a couple of things working against us. First, we are a small, self-funded studio, which meant publishers were hesitant to even talk to us, despite our industry experience. Second, our timing was unfortunate. While we were developing and pitching the game to publishers, the global economy sank into a recession. Most publishers were laying-off staff and closing studios while we were trying to get them to look at our game and help fund its completion.
In spite of the unlucky timing and being a small start-up, we did find several publishers that were interested in publishing our game. We spent months in negotiations with them while they kept telling us they wanted to fund and publish our game but they couldn’t quite yet do it. In the end, waiting on publishers while working on the game became financially untenable, and we were forced to shelf the game and pursue other options.
Dark Meridian is an exciting new fusion of RTS, RPG, and 3rd person shooter. It gives you a persistent RPG-like character with attributes, skill trees, and equipment, and lets you take that character into battle as a fighter, a squad leader, and a commander.
Characters gain levels and are given points that can be used to increase their abilities and attributes. Weapons and armor are awarded to players according to their actions in each battle. How you play and the choices you make when leveling your character will allow you to build a character that best fits your play style, whether that be a hand-to-hand fighter, a ranged marksman, an arcane mage, an efficient commander, or some combination of those.
Players can choose to be in the midst of battle as a combatant and squad leader or they can act as a commander, building their town and defenses. Players are free to switch between commander and combatant as the battle dictates. It is up to the commander to place buildings, decide which technologies to research and which units to recruit. As a combatant, players join the battle from a close 3rd person perspective; they can ride mounts, man siege engines, and command a small squad of AI characters.
The game is built around multiplayer team based play along with single player and cooperative play against AI. Matches are highly customizable, allowing up to four teams with any combination of AI and/or human squad leaders and commanders. There are numerous options to customize a match, including an open world map system that allows for thousands of possible map variations.
We have concentrated most of our efforts on creating a great gameplay experience, and based on the highly positive feedback from those that have played it and the great times we have playing it in the studio, we are confident that we are creating a game that is truly fun and brings something exciting and new to the medium.
We need some money to finish our game so we can release it and you can play it. We have tried the traditional publisher route, fighting the “small unproven studio” stigma and months and months of red tape and false starts, only to get nowhere with the game so close to being finished.
Funding our game through Kickstarter is the perfect solution. As a backer, you would be preordering a copy of our game at a discounted price (and you could get additional rewards depending on your contribution). As a developer, we would get to finish building the game that we want to build and that you want to play, rather than a game that a publisher has molded into one of its unimaginative money- making templates.
We have already done a tremendous amount of work on the game with no outside funding, but we have reached the point where we need some funding to finish it. We need your help to generate $250,000 , which will give us enough funding to finish our game and release it. Of course, we would love to raise more money than that so we could add some additional depth to some of the game play elements, but $250,000 would be enough to finish and deliver a great game.
Check out the trailer we put together from in game footage. It should give you a glimpse of the incredibly fun gameplay and a decent idea of how far along the game is. We are so close to having a fun, finished game; we just need your help to get us over the last hurdle.
- (60 days)