"Just wanted to let you know I love your game, and I hope it's a big success! Looking forward to playing around with the update today!" - Stephen S., New York City, New York
"The most awesome political strategy game there is. What I love about President Forever is that it allows you to tweak all aspects of the campaign in great detail, and the 2016 version has expanded this even further. I particularly like that you can now court governors for their endorsement and then actually use them as surrogates. Kudos to 270soft for making such a terrific game!" - Lucas van Horck, The Netherlands
"This is a great game, and the most realistic Presidential simulation game I've played, well done." - Steve, Schaumburg, Illinois, Political enthusiast
President Forever 2016 is the most in-depth, intense political election game ever made. Using realistic electorate modeling techniques, an unprecedented number of options, and detailed candidates, this is big time! So far it’s only been available on Windows. This Kickstarter is about getting President Forever 2016 on Mac as well.
We want your Kickstarter vote! Going cross-platform is expensive. We’re going to invest a lot in the Mac version, but 270soft is a small developer and there are a lot of up-front costs. This Kickstarter is about accelerating development to make the Mac version happen in early 2014.
Small developer. Big software.
The goal is simple: win enough Electoral College votes to win the election. You are responsible for all aspects of your candidate’s election strategy: planning and buying advertising, conducting fundraising, giving speeches, recruiting high-profile and grassroots supporters and spinning news.
Our aim is to convey the experience of what it's like to be in a campaign to gamers of all ages and backgrounds.
Creating games for political enthusiasts is a core part of why 270soft was founded over 10 years ago.
The game already includes:
- 2016, 2012, and 2008, with 34, 10, and 28 candidates to choose from respectively - in 2016, there are the Republican, Democratic, Libertarian, and Green parties and a hypothetical Bloomberg Independent bid to boot!
- Primaries and General Election.
- Fully featured Campaign Editor – modify the candidates, add new ones, or even insert yourself and run for President! You can also modify or add endorsers, surrogates, parties, and more, all with the click of a button. The control is in your hands.
- Leaders with detailed attributes (Leadership, Experience, Charisma, and so on) and campaign strengths (Fundraising, Polling, Advertising, Command and Control, and so on) that mimic the strengths of real life campaigns.
- Surrogates, who barnstorm, fundraise, or spin for you – tell them where to go and what to do. Will Christie provide more muscle than Ryan? O’Malley more than Cuomo?
- Build up state-by-state command-and-control, and synergize it with your Footsoldiers to swamp your opponents’ Get Out the Vote operations in swing states!
- Barnstorm, give speeches, fundraise to boost your campaign finances, and much more – you decide. Or perhaps it’s time to hold massive rallies to accommodate the thronging crowds and boost your reach?
- Work to get on primary ballots if you’re not. Stymied by primary ballot rules which keep your candidate off the ballot in Virginia? Now you can change that.
- Which primaries are coming onto the radar, and which swing states look the most appealing to target? See political data at a glance and and arrange states at a click with the Strategy Screen.
- Debates. Call out specific opponents in debates to stop their momentum, or boast about your own achievements.
- Craft ads to target specific opponents and issues, or tailor them to specific regions to gain extra bonuses when you run them.
- A large universe of possible endorsers, who give momentum or financial boosts. You can also turn endorsers into surrogates - they will then campaign for you after endorsing.
- You have 270+ Electoral Votes in your column for now, great – but how deep is your support? Now you can see at a glance with new electoral vote display. Secured your party’s nomination?
- Pivot to the general election, including choosing your Veep running mate at any point up until the convention.
- and much more.
The game will continue to be expanded leading up to the 2016 election, including new campaigns, graphics, features, candidates, and more.
The big Mac question.
“Is there a Mac version?”
That was one of the first questions asked when President Forever 2016 came out on Windows in 2012.
Now, changes in development technologies relevant to the Mac have made it possible for us to add Mac, with your help.
On Mac in early 2014.
270soft is a small, independent software developer. Making products like President Forever 2016 is expensive.
The large majority of the Mac version will be funded by 270soft. This Kickstarter campaign will allow us to purchase the essential hardware and development tools needed to create the Mac version, and then launch full development by allocating coding resources to the Mac version.
That’s where we need your help.
This Kickstarter gives us the boost we need right now to launch full development so that President Forever 2016 for Mac comes out early next year.
When exactly next year? We’re aiming for March.
Proof of concept already exists.
President Forever 2016 is right there, on Windows. You can try it right now, if you know somebody with a Windows machine or if you Boot Camp your Mac (ya, we know – you really don’t want to do that, right? that's why you should back us on Kickstarter already!).
The point is that you’re not backing an unknown project – President Forever 2016 already exists. Gamers and political geeks are using it everyday. You know what you're getting into.
This is about giving Mac political geeks the game they deserve.
Congress Forever 2014
If the Kickstarter campaign succeeds, we will also be able to create Congress Forever 2014 for both Windows and Mac.
Congress Forever 2014 is a Congressional (House and Senate) election sim, which features the upcoming 2014 elections.
More info here.
There are multiple rewards levels that include Congress Forever 2014 and President Forever 2016.
Note: Congress Forever 2014 is included as part of all Steering Council rewards.
Congress Forever 2014 will be released in the first half of 2014.
If you want to add an extra copy of President Forever 2016 (Windows or Mac), simply add $15 to your pledge above the reward level you've selected.
If you want to add an extra copy of Congress Forever 2014 (Windows or Mac), simply add $9 to your pledge above the reward level you've selected.
If you want a shout out to you and a site of your choosing from the 270soft blog, simple add $5 to your pledge above the reward level you've selected.
If you're doing anything complex (adding multiple copies of both, say), just send us a message saying what add-ons go with your backing.
About the pledge tiers
We have multiple pledge tiers, so that you can back the President Forever 2016 for Mac project at whatever level you want.
If you already have a Windows version, but just want to help out with the expansion of the game, you can also back us at multiple tiers.
If the Kickstarter campaign succeeds, we will start on the Mac version immediately, and our estimated delivery date for the Mac version is March 2014.
A quick note on exchange rates
So, we’re based in the Victoria, Canada. But interest in the U.S. election is international, and of course primarily in the U.S.A. However, Kickstarter won’t let us show our goal and tiers in $US, so they’re all displayed $CAN.
If you’re from the US this means the CAN value will be converted to US dollars when you pledge. The good news is that $1 CAN is approximately equal to $1 US. So, a $20 CAN pledge is about $20 US, and so on. This may fluctuate depending on the state of the two countries' economies.
If you have any questions at all about pledges from the US or other countries, please do contact us.
Help us make President Forever 2016 for Mac happen now by clicking the green button on the top right of the screen! Thank you!
Risks and challenges
Making complex software is difficult and expensive but President Forever 2016 for Mac has several aspects which make it a confident Kickstarter project:
President Forever 2016 already exists – this isn’t a vague concept in the very early stages of development. President Forever 2016 already exists and is available for Windows, we just need your help to get onto Mac. Thousands of Windows users are already using President Forever 2016 – you can even go try the Windows demo ( http://270soft.com ) if you want to know more before pledging to our Kickstarter.
A great team – 270soft has been developing political sims since 2003. We’re a small, independent developer but we know what we’re doing. If you’ve not heard of us before, go check us out on Facebook (at http://facebook.com/PresidentForever2016 ), or over at the 270soft blog ( http://270soft.com/blog/ ).
In it together – software development is expensive and we don’t expect you to fund the entire project. The challenge is finding the up-front funding needed to equip for development and get the project moving – that’s where you come in.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)