This is a re-run of the backer update sent on Dec 7th. You can ignore it. We sent it out via email, but we wanted to archive it on Kickstarter as well.
...i'm working on the next update right now....
I know. Lots of excitement this week with color and address verification. All waves of emails went out so if you haven’t received anything from us let us know (AFTER checking your alternate email addresses and spam box please).
This doesn’t mean we are through the weeds. It doesn’t mean our schedule is accelerating. We still have lots of work left to do. There are still a few gotchas that could sting us. But yes, even we are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Define Amazingly Well Jen is en route home from China. The final 200 pre-production build went amazingly well, but not without a few hiccups:
Shake to Wake
On Monday night we had a 1am firedrill.
In the factory we realized we couldn’t perform any electrical tests on the GoSticks. The line ground to a halt. Turns out “shake to wake” is an awesome feature on the GoStick … unless you need to wake up 30 of them locked into an immovable table-mounted test fixture. Doh! Yes we solved this. Before the factory team showed up to work the next day. And No, the fix did not involve a lawn mower engine or a vibrator even though both seemed like very good ideas around 3am.
Forget Duct Tape. Small Zebras Fix Everything
On Tuesday we moved on to water resistance testing.
The Good News? We were getting 95% yield on our 50m water test (in this picture, #5 is leaking)
The bad news? 100% of the LCD’s were cracking when we hit 50m of pressure. Doh!
We tried carving out space in the watch case. We tried internal shims made of tape. We even called in our big-gun MechE advisors. Nothing was working. By Wednesday we were considering re-designing the user interface around the crack in the LCD (just joking - but only a little)
Then we noticed that the flexible connector that connects the LCD to the circuit board -- called a zebra connector -- was dented on the broken LCD's. Apparently our zebras were a smidge too big. A smidge = .2mm
Here's is what .2mm looks like. You can't even see it!
Smaller zebras solved a problem. We never even broke a sweat. (just joking)
One Big Screw and a Little Too Much Flow
Then came Thursday.
This was the first time we had built GoSticks using plastic top-cases fabricated in our our new $12,000 GoStick mold. Up until now we were carving GoStick cases out of plastic blocks.
First, the screw holes in the cases were too shallow, Which means our 1.8 mm screws were a smidge too big (yes, .2mm again!). We also discovered that one of the flow marks that occur when the plastic is poured into the mold for the case was interfering with the water tight seal. We need to modify the tool and re-mold all 200 cases. Doh!
It's only a 4-day delay. Nothing that should impact our overall schedule. But annoying none the less. (Especially for all the field testers who have been waiting so patiently to get a Bia on their wrists.)
I already know there will be lots more to share next week, so as usual, back to work!
-- C2K & The Team
PS: A number of folks have asked about the custom team watchbands and the Betty Designs watchbands. Yes, those are still coming -- and they will be even better based on all we have learned so far about what works well for watchbands -- but not until AFTER we ship. I want all hands on deck to make sure we deliver the best core product possible first. Thanks for understanding.