About this project
Hi and welcome to Castle Games Inc.'s first Kickstarter project. If you want a brief look at what else we've done - check out our official page to look at Portable Galactic Empire and Fleet Admiral.
One of our backers pointed out we should highlight this, so I've moved it up to the top of the page. We've built the budget so that each pledge level includes shipping to even international destinations, but if you live someplace particularly hard to get to, we may have to work out a deal. Don't hesitate to contact us to talk shipping. We're willing to subsidize this as much as possible.
CITY is a family friendly game, requiring about 60 minutes to play, where you build the best city possible before the resources run out. You do this by managing your citizens, zoning the landscape and budgeting your resources.
CITY has been in development for a while now, and we're happy to say it's well past the design and test phase. We're in the manufacturing assessment phase, where we figure out the fine details of what and how to print. This phase will be complete before the campaign ends. This is great news, because it means we can start the presses as soon as the campaign ends fully funded.
We are shooting for a "Euro Game" aesthetic. The box will be 30 cm x 24 cm x 8 cm, and weigh in at about a kilo. What you see in this video is hand made prototypes. They have the look and feel we want, though final material may vary a bit.
Inside will be:
- 12 Large, square Landscape Tiles (badlands, forest, mountain and wheat field terrain).
- 54 Industrial Zoning tiles (18 agriculture, 9 mining, 18 forestry, 9 oil)
- 85 Natural Resource cards (15 ore, 15 oil, 30 wheat, 25 wood)
- 18 Commercial Zone tiles
- 27 Residential Zone tiles
- 12 Citizen pieces per player color (total 60)
- 15 road pieces per player color (total 75)
- 1 capital token per player color
- 40 coin($) tokens for money
- 20 tower pieces, natural color for apartments and grey for offices
- 5 player mats
- An instruction manual
- A thank you page listing our backers over (and including) the $5 level
You can have a closer look at some of the component design over on our official website. Please note that in most cases, what you are looking at is not final quality, but should be final styling. We'll post shots of the press proof as soon as we get them back from the manufacturer for everybody to see. In a couple of cases we've used graphics instead of actual parts. We've marked any images that we've simulated.
Fleet Admiral is our quick playing, card based simulation of being a star ship captain. It was published last year and we're making it available as an "in-between" incentive for our fans. You can check it out more fully here.
Risks and challenges
As the design is completed, the majority of the risks for this project arise out of the manufacturing process.
1) Total Loss of Inventory: It is possible that due to an unforeseen circumstance we could loose an entire print run in transit. It is to be expected that we will suffer some shipping damage, but total loss can not be mitigated. The risk of this is very low, and does not require exceptional steps.
Potential Impact: Total Loss
Remediation: freight(insurance) claim - game is delayed and reprinted
2) Quality Failure: Because the printing and manufacturing is being handled on another continent, we will not be able to intervene in the event of a quality failure (for example, the use of substandard materials in manufacturing) until late in the process. In order to mitigate this we are working with experienced manufacturers who have shown a history of delivering the quality we expect to provide for our customers.
Potential Impact: Delivery delay, additional cost
Remediation: None (we absorb the cost, you absorb the delay)
3) Estimate Failure - It is possible that we have no clue about what we think the game should cost to ship and print. That, we should point out, is very unlikely at this point as (a) we've done this before and (b) our manufacturers have already started quoting us prices. The most likely variant of this will be only a few % more. We've tried to create a buffer of 5% in the budget. If we've really missed it by more than that, we'll have to look at the damage and re-asses at that time. Most likely, we will simple inject capital into the project at our cost to make up the gap.
Potential Impact: Loss of Capital for Castle Games
Remediation: None (we absorb the whole cost, you still get your game)
Support this project
- (31 days)