A film about finding a new guy online in time for the party tonight at which your ex will be.
Not Ok, Cupid! is a comedy about 23 year old Claire, who without much direction in life, is left to fixate on her love-life. After a messy split with ex--Kyle, she decides she needs to find a rebound guy on an online dating website at the suggestion of her best friend Jack. But after she brings her date to a party, her plan derails...in a funny way!
It's an honor to be awarded the NYU Undergraduate Thesis Film allotment, but the movie can't come to life without your help! So please, find it in your heart to support me, and young, funny women filmmakers everywhere.
This project is extremely important to me as it's the last film I will make in my Undergraduate career. It's also something very near and dear to my heart: comedy! Growing up I was always the class clown, I was even given the "Best Humor" superlative in High School (along with the next Steven Spielberg, although I'd rather be the next Christopher Guest or Lena Dunham) so writing and directing my own short comedic film is the next step in that direction. It's also important to me to support women filmmakers and their stories. This story is one that anyone whose ever been in their early 20s can relate to: one of awkward moments, uncomfortable breakups, undying friendship, and even growing up. If you like to laugh at yourself, then you'll love this film.
Your donations will go toward:
- FOOD--because a well-fed cast and crew is a happy, hardworking, and absolutely invincible cast and crew.
- EQUIPMENT--great movies start with a great script, but they won't look too appealing without the proper camera or lighting equipment!
- TRANSPORTATION--well, it's going to be shot in Brooklyn and it's an entirely New York City based crew, but Metrocards really rack up!
- ART DIRECTION/WARDROBE/MAKEUP--because you need the right props and mis-en-scene to make an apartment really come across as a hip, brooklynite pad (even though they already are!) and of course you need the right attire to fit in in Brooklyn, or else you're totally a poser, ew!
- LOVE--just kidding! Money can't buy me love! (it can. please help!)
I'm really excited to make this film. So if you're into comedies, romantic comedies, comedies that have romantic elements but aren't really romantic comedies, or comedies that are totally anti-romantic comedies, or films written and directed by women please donate!
THANK YOU SO MUCH I LOVE YOU!
Sydney Whalen is a senior (about the graduate in May 2012) at New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. As a Film and Television Production major, she has learned everything from A-Z pertaining to filmmaking. With a focus on writing, and more specifically comedy writing, Sydney hopes to someday be writing the next hit TV sitcom or, another favorite of hers, late-night absurd television programming. You can find her getting coffee in Williamsburg, huffing and puffing on the track at McCarren Park, or watching TLC reality shows between classes in Greenwich Village.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.