Explore a massive world through a book of maps!
- Search for a lost city in a strange and wonderful world of ruins
- Manage and recruit adventurers, each with a unique identity
- Read from a book of stories, building an amazing and memorable tale each time you play!
- Choose your path in connected quest lines
- Includes a gorgeous atlas of 11 maps to play on!
- Buy skills for your character over a ten-map campaign
- 2-4 players, 90 minutes
In Near and Far you and up to 3 friends each choose a character and set out on a journey, recruiting adventurers, managing resources, and completing quests in an effort to become the most storied traveler.
All deluxe edition copies of Near and Far will include 30 beautiful metal coins custom-made for this project. The coins match the coin design in the game art!
Deluxe editions will not be available through normal retail channels-- only through Kickstarter projects and in limited quantities at some conventions.
Near and Far is a sequel to Above and Below. Because of this, we are offering the Expanded Edition Cardboard Tokens (1 punchboard) and printed Desert Labyrinth and Underforest Encounter Book (36 pages) from that game. Each will be individually shrink-wrapped. You must have the Above and Below board game for these to work. Also, you must have the Expanded Edition Cardboard Tokens to use the Desert Labyrinth and Underforest Encounter Book.
What are people saying about Above and Below? Read these glowing reviews.
- Arcade Mode Cards: These allow you to play without the storybook for added replayability.
- Bonus Characters: Includes character standee, token, cards, and added storybook pages.
- Cloth Adventurer Bag: Drawstring linen bag to hold the adventurer tokens.
- Adventurers work in Above and Below: Adventurers will be double-sided, and the opposite side will allow you to use them in Above and Below.
- Plastic Gem Tokens: 30 plastic gem-shaped pieces.
- Double-sided Town Board: The town board will have alternate art on the opposite side, and a few slight building changes.
- +5 Bronze-Colored Coins: Each Deluxe Edition will include 5 additional bronze-colored coins (bringing the total bronze to 30).
- +5 Silver-Colored Coins: Each Deluxe Edition will include 5 additional silver-colored coins (bringing the total silver to 10).
Help complete these epic quests! We need 3500 total Twitter followers, 500 Facebook Near and Far announcement likes, 150 thumbs on one Near and Far BoardGameGeek image, and 40 retweets of the Near and Far announcement on Twitter. Here are the links:
Red Raven Team Demo
- Gameplay overview part 2 coming soon!
Rahdo Runs Through Videos
Four wanderers search for the Last Ruin, a city that legends say contains an artifact that will grant the greatest desires of the heart. A lost love, redemption, acceptance, a family rejoined-- these are the fires that fuel the wanderers' journeys, but can they overcome their own greed and inner demons on the way?
In Near and Far, you and up to three friends explore many different maps in a search for the Last Ruin, recruiting adventurers, hunting for treasure, and competing to be the most storied traveler. You must collect food and equipment at town for long journeys to mysterious locales, making sure not to forget enough weapons to fight off bandits, living statues, and rusty robots! Sometimes in your travels you'll run into something unique and one of your friends will read what happens to you from a book of stories, giving you a choice of how to react, creating a new and memorable tale each time you play.
Near and Far is a sequel to Above and Below and includes a book of stories, an atlas of 11 maps with distinctive art and quests, and 4 playable characters with their own personalities and motivations. Each chapter of the storybook corresponds to its own map or character and is full of unique adventures. Answer the call of the ruins and begin your journey.
Build your character: Earn experience points and buy persistent abilities that last through multiple games.
Read connected stories: Experience a unique, connected character story where the choices you make determine your destiny!
- First Adventure: Learn to play the game with this standalone map inspired by Above and Below.
- Campaign: Play a series of 10 games on 10 different maps as you journey to the Last Ruin, building experience and buying abilities that last throughout campaign. Explore each map, experiencing stories unique to each location.
- Story: Play a series of 3 to 4 games while following your character's main story, making decisions that will affect your ultimate fate.
- Short Mode: Play 1 game of any map you choose, experiencing stories unique to that location.
- Arcade Mode: (Stretch Goal) Skip the storybook and use a deck of cards, each with a brief encounter and set of choices.
How does this game compare to Above and Below?
- Both games feature a story book that you read during the game, giving you a choice of how to react to a huge number of situations, people, and creatures.
- In Near and Far, all of the stories also have a reaction description, filling out the story AFTER you make each choice.
- Some of the stories are connected in thematic quest lines, so that choices made in an earlier story will affect the outcome and choices of later stories.
- The story book in Near and Far is at least twice as big as the book in Above and Below. There is a huge world to explore here!
- When playing campaign mode, all stories are linked to a location on the map. You'll see something intriguing on the map, travel to that location, and read a story to find out what is there.
- If you play story mode, you pick one character and play through a focused, connected story line over 4+ games. Early choices you make affect later outcomes in the story! Each character features multiple story paths and endings.
Retail Version: The standard retail version of Near and Far will have an MSRP of $59.99. It will include all stretch goals we reach here, but it will not include the metal coins. At conventions, the Deluxe Edition will be priced at $70.00.
Rulebook: Take a look at the prototype rulebook here.
Changing Backer Levels: For this project we are unable to change or accept alterations to the backer level rewards. Backers may, however, double their rewards by doubling their pledge amount (for example, $100 for two copies of Near and Far Deluxe, and then add shipping only once). Backers may not triple or quadruple their rewards, etc.
It is possible that Near and Far will be printed later by international publishers in various languages. Please take this into consideration when deciding if you would like to pledge. However, we currently do not have plans to license or translate this game.
Can I add Above and Below to my pledge? We are unable to offer Above and Below in this Kickstarter project. Please support your favorite game store and purchase a copy there!
Rewards shipping to addresses within the US, EU, and Canada will be shipped from within the US, EU, and Canada.
International Shipping: As per Customs law, we cannot label the game as a gift for shipping. International shipments will be subject to customs charges depending on the country to which you are shipping.
Risks and challenges
This is my twelfth Kickstarter project, and with each project, I could not have printed and produced them without the support of Kickstarter backers. We've worked for months testing and polishing Near and Far. Much of the art is finished and the game is ready, but it won't see the light of day without the funds needed to see that the game is printed.
There are many other challenges to making sure this project is successful. Because of occasional unforeseen events, it is common for board game production to be delayed. I've done all I can to ensure that this game will be delivered on time if funded. Of course, delays can happen, but most of my projects have been delivered early.
Another challenge is making sure that all the files and rules are correct when sent to the printer. I've done the graphic design and artwork for many games. My experience helps me ensure a smooth pre-production process.
With your help, we can have the funds to print the game, overcome the various obstacles that are in the way, and make sure you are delivered a quality product.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (24 days)