The DC One unit is an interlocking, programmable, single-channel DC power supply that can be powered by either a battery or an AC/DC adapter. The DC One unit is an ideal power source for developer or hobbyist projects such as Arduino or Raspberry Pi powered devices. The DC One is designed to provide highly efficient operation, even with higher load current requirements.
- Input voltage, 2.7...15V
- Output voltage, 2.5...14V
- Max continuous current, 2.5A at 5V
- Control via USB and serial (with Bluetooth or USB-UART modules)
- USB connection, miniUSB
- Size: 1.77 x 0.97 x 3.34 inches (45 x 24.75 x 85 mm)
- UART interface for Bluetooth: logic levels - 3.3V, power supply - 5V
- Adjustable output current limit (this mode allows DC One to act as a current source to drive LEDs, etc.)
- Measuring: input voltage, output voltage, output current
- Indicating and signals: status LED (work/error), buzzer (overload/overheat)
- Reverse polarity and surge protection on input
- Output short circuit and overvoltage protection
- Thermal shutdown
- ESD protection on all digital inputs and outputs
Compact, Modular Design
The modular, flexible design of the DC One allows it to be used as a single-output DC adapter, or stacked to meet multiple DC output requirements. Its modularity also eliminates the unused cables that accompany most conventional power supply designs. This reduces bench-top clutter, prevents the possibility of dangling cables interfering with other components and potentially improves case airflow.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Provides convenient, portable power for varied applications
- Reduces workspace clutter with small form factor
- Stacks easily thanks to interlocking design
- Offers maximum flexibility through battery or AC/DC converter
- Includes both visual and audible warning in the event of an overload and overheating
- Provides up to 12.5W of power with 12V input
The DC One unit is built with high quality, time-proven components from top-level vendors. Its manufacturing process includes a full cycle of low, medium and high load unit testing. The DC One is also equipped an LED and beeper-equipped alarm to provide both visual and audible warning in the event of an overload.
The DC One unit allows easy, intuitive control by PC, Mac, Linux or Android using USB or Bluetooth.
Control multiple modules with a single app:
I believe you have a lot of examples of your electronic projects, you always need to power it. Here is a simple one.
Do you want to decorate your house or room with LED flexible strip that will glow constantly for a long time?
As you know, LED brightness depends on current, i.e. you need current source. Such source can be made using DC one with Current Limit Mode.
12V flexible strip uses 270mA without current limit. If we limit it to 100mA, the voltage will be 10.26V
According to the specification, DC One allows to have up to 12.5W of power with 12V input. But our stress testing shows that DC One has large reserve of output power. The maximum output power is 1.7 times higher than declared in the specification. We used 20 Watts resistor as load:
With 11.4V of input voltage, we were able to get 19.4 Watts, and we got 21 Watts with 13.55V of input voltage.
First version of DC One was created a year ago and we had a enough time to collect some feedback from our customers. First of all we redesigned connectors and replace male-female connectors to male-male. It allowed to avoid accidental short-circuits. Also we made some bug fixes in the software and improved the hardware part.
Who we are
We are a small group of professionals who like to develop and build new things. The DC One is the first of many projects we intend to develop and bring to market. We chose the DC One as our initial product for its simplicity, wide customer appeal and because we use it on a regular basis for our own work.
Why we need your help
To keep our costs to an absolute minimum, we must commit to an order of no less than 500 pieces to begin production. We intend to begin production as soon as we achieve our financial goal. Everything else is in place, including a thoroughly tested prototype, our manufacturing agreement and operating software.
Risks and challenges
Beyond the QA applied at the point of manufacture, we have distributed 10 examples of the unit to beta testers who use it on a regular basis in a variety of applications. This process has allowed us to discover and eliminate some minor issues and produce a reliable product with considerable user appeal. We also plan to be on-site during the first production run of the DC One to further assure its quality and reliability.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)