Mozart Reimagined - Photography book by Tyson Vick
Artist Tyson Vick presents lush award-winning photos illustrating the operas of W.A. Mozart alongside humorous and insightful writings.
After 10 years of passion, Mozart Reimagined is finished. Choose a reward and help get the book published! It is a great coffee table book and conversation starter!
Support this project on Kickstarter to produce beautiful paperback and hardcover versions, as well as a digital version!
I built the costumes, took all the photos, wrote the book. It has been a labor of love and I need you to help get it off the ground!
Mozart Reimagined brings a fresh new perspective to the operas of renowned classical composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Nearly one hundred photographs by artist Tyson Vick illustrate scenes from each and every one of Mozart's theatrical works. Every image is lushly costumed and gorgeously staged, vividly bringing the stories and music of Mozart to life.
Mozart Reimagined promises to be the most informative, humorous and entertaining book you will find about Mozart! Whether you love opera, hate opera or don't know a thing about opera, you will be positively yearning to listen to a Mozart opera after reading Mozart Reimagined.
Reaching my Kickstarter goal will provide the book to you at the lowest cost available for digital, paperback and hardcover versions! With your help, I can keep the cost of producing the book down for you, the backer! The money will go to printing costs, shipping costs and various Kickstarter fees!
The music of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart has changed my life. It's hard to describe just how it happened because this book took me 10 years to create. Mozart started by inspiring me artistically, moved on to helping me cope with emotions (it helped me relax when stressed, and actually taught me how to allow love and forgiveness into my heart), and it all culminated in teaching me a vast array of skills to finish my goal of photographing one scene from each act of every play that Mozart set to music.
I learned how to sew to make the Historical and Fantastical costumes that you see in my photographs, as well as how to make props and miniatures for the backgrounds. I learned how to use photoshop to create award-winning composite imagery and even how to style wigs.
For the past decade I have been designing and creating costumes and props in my workshop then traveling the country photographing my vision. Over a hundred models portray famous opera characters such as Don Giovanni, Papageno and Idomeneo. Accompanying the images are essays that I wrote myself where I discuss each opera with a unique outlook, sense of humor, knowledge of history and a passion for the plays.
Around 2011 I was awarded a grant by the Puffin Foundation. Their support of my project helped me complete my Idomeneo photos and paid for the entirety of my Judith photos from La Betulia Liberata. The Judith set, in turn, went on to win first place in the “Composite Image” category in WPPI, an international photography contest.
Look through the proof copy of the book below. Note that there may be some design changes for the final copy!
Subscribe to my costume blog One Delightful Day for more previews and updates: https://onedelightfulday.wordpress.com/
Like my photography page on Facebook!
Nearly 100 photos illustrate each and every one of Mozart's theatrical works. His operas, Oratorios, Cantatas and Incidental Music. Here is a small selection of images that appear in the book:
Dozens more images appear in the book as well!
The photographs feature over a hundred models, actors, and musicians as well as many regular people who modeled for the first time! Meet a few of the professional artists who were involved:
Actors Blaise Godbe Lipman (The Dark Place, Weeds, CSI:NY), Edward Zo (The Brits are Coming, Instagram personality), Mars Crain (Hancock, Chuck, House M.D.) portray some of operas most famous characters. Musician Sunny Brainz and actress Jadi Stuart also appear.
The crew was small, and shoots often only involved me alone, but there were stylists and costumers as well whenever available. Lizzie Hatfield worked as Hair and Make-up design for half of the images in the book.
Tyson Vick (Photographer, Costume Designer, Author), Lizzie Hatfield (Head make-up and Hair designer for the project), Jadi Stuart (Hair and make-up for all the California based shoots), Catey Lockhart (Costumer and sewer), Twila Rempe (Costumer, Mom).
- $5 - Send your encouragement and receive a personalized postcard with an image from the book and a Thank You credit.
- $10 - Receive a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $45 - Receive a Paperback copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $90 - Receive a Premium Hardcover copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $150 - Triton Horn Hat! For a special backer! Receive a unique Prop From the Book. + Premium Hardcover Copy of the Book + Digital Copy + Thank you credit.
- $275 - Don Giovanni Doublet! For a special backer! Receive a unique costume created for the book! + a Premium Hardcover copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $300 - Amphitrite Gown! For a special backer! Receive a unique costume created for the book! + a Premium Hardcover copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $350 - Madame Herz Bodice and Hat! For a special backer! Receive a unique costume created for the book! + a Premium Hardcover copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $450 - Angel Corset and Chemise! For a special backer! Receive a unique costume created for the book! + a Premium Hardcover copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
- $550 - Judith Costume! For a special backer! Receive a unique costume created for the book! + a Premium Hardcover copy of the book + a Digital Copy of the book + a Thank You credit
Pre-ordering Mozart Reimagined allows you to get the book for the lowest price available. When the book moves to retail the prices will increase.
Risks and challenges
Mozart Reimagined is Ready For Printing, but some obstacles may arise.
- Printing times may vary based on the Printing Company's turnaround.
- Shipping times may vary based on how busy the fundraiser becomes for me and anyone I can wrangle into helping.
- (31 days)