The best way to get connected...
At a time when most of the world's population (introverts and extroverts alike) find it more difficult to beat the hurdle of starting conversations, Plat users are finding it even easier.
Platonic is a free geo-location based meet-up app that is here to help connect you with friends. Unlike the traditional dating sites designed to, at best, hook you up with a sexual partner, and at worst, set you up for a classical mismatch, Platonic lifts you out of the virtual social life and into the real life.
The mission of Plat is to help you connect face-to-face with new friends by making it faster, easier, and more reliable to meet new people than ever before.
Once Plat has connected you with other people with shared interest, you can leave the cell phones behind and start having fun!
How it works
Connecting with people has never been this quick and simple. Start by signing in with either LinkedIn, Facebook or your e-mail.
Secondly, tell Plat whether you want to be ‘Active’ or ‘Social’. Our Active section offers four “bins”, each dedicated to a specific category: “Team Sports”, “Outdoor Activities”, “Workouts”, and “Crafts and Hobbies”. (You can always switch back and forth between Active and Social)
If none of those categories match your current interest, our Social section suggests bins for “Nightlife”, “Food and Drink”, “Conversation”, and “Sightseeing”.
Once you pick a bin, you will be prompted to create a personal profile stating what you are looking for. Your headline, a 15 character description of what you want to do, will remain active for 6 hours. During this time, you will be visible to others in the same bin. You can also view the headlines of other Plat users in your chosen bin arranged – based on proximity- in a scrollable queue.
So it’s that simple; choose between Active and Social, make a bin selection, create a profile, input a headline, and get connected.
For example, if I intend to visit the Platinum factory at sunset, I could log into my Platonic app during my lunch break, enter the social domain where I select the “sightseeing” bin. I’m prompted for my headline. I enter “Platinum Factory” and continue. My profile is now active. I can see people active in that bin from closest to furthest in the scrollable queue. I can also see what headlines they are suggesting or are interested in doing.
Coming Soon - Our Special ‘Mutual’ Feature
Are you among those still skeptical about meeting entirely new people? At Platonic, we use the friends you have to find the friends you need. Verified by the friends you already have, quickly connect with mutual friends for a quick and spontaneous experience.
In an attempt to strengthen your confidence, we link your other social media accounts and show you who is a mutual acquaintance of your existing social media connections and friends.
If meeting total strangers is too adventurous, you can quickly connect with those sharing mutual connections, verified by the friends you already have.
Now – with our previous example in mind- let’s say while I am scrolling through the queue, I see Frank’s headline which says “Platinum Park” and he has a Facebook badge. I click the badge and see Prisca is his mutual friend. I’ll start my conversation by asking him how he knows Prisca. With that, we could share some memories and continue to build trust. Thanks to this Platform, our plan to visit the Platinum Park and Factory has been eased.
How to select your Bin of Interest
Just in case you get indecisive and eventually stuck while selecting your bin, here are a few details of each bin to aid your decision.
When you’re feeling active, let it known to Plat. Go ahead to completely individualize your experience by picking one of the following bins.
• What is your favorite sport? Maybe, rather, what sport will you love to engage in right away? Freely choose your sport of interest based on what suits your individual desires.
• No matter the intensity level, everyone can work out with Plat. If you’re just starting out, find a partner for your level. Choose from yoga, spinning, running, weightlifting or any other form of exercise.
• How about exploring the beautiful environment Mother Nature has to offer? This bin can range from hiking, mountain biking, fishing and camping amongst other outdoor activities.
Crafts and Hobbies
• Ideas for craft hobbies are infinite. If you have an interest in painting, knitting and crocheting, or soap and candle making, find a friend and experience your hobbies with friends from Plat.
When you’re Social, click on the social domain. Here, you can completely individualize your experience using any of the following bins.
• Are you a person that likes hitting up the clubs with friends? Then this is the place for you. Whether it involves going to a pub or a bar, a live band close to you, or a night out at the fanciest night clubs there are. Be on the lookout for events sponsored by Plat and new friends.
Food and Drink
• Craving some traditional African dish? Or maybe a special Chinese meal? Want to enjoy a casual dinner over some good cuisine and beverages? Find a restaurant in your area and bring a friend.
Games and Movies
• From a 70s movie all nighter to a horror movie premier, Plat is the platform to use.
• Want to learn more about the history of your city? Or looking to explore beautiful buildings, museums, or take cruise tours? This bin will expand your knowledge while you connect with friends from Plat.
In both sections (Active and Social), there are two constant bins at your disposal.
• This bin remains locked until there are sponsored local area events. Continue to watch out for this bin to avoid missing out on special events and coupons in your local area.
Suggest a new bin
• In a quest to achieve user satisfaction, we offer you the opportunity to suggest any improvements to our bins. Remember that your opinions are crucial to for the development of Plat.
At this point, we're sure picking a bin will be a seamless task. You might want to ask, ‘what makes Platonic different?’
First, I’ll answer your question in one sentence.
Choose Platonic for activity, for adventure and for friends.
• For Activity...
Stay active with Plat! Meet up with friends to discover all the possible activities that you can do in your area, whether it is sailing, sports, or other activities!
• For Adventure...
No more wishing you could do adventurous things – explore the world around you wit Plat. Cross off adventures from your bucket list and go places you’ve always wanted to visit.
• For Friends...
Here, you are offered the rare opportunity to connect with like-minded people and you never have to feel like you are “the only one” anymore.
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’” – C.S. Lewis
Come mid-2019, Platonic goes live. We have a goal to make people more activity driven, to break down the barriers of starting conversations and to create Platonically driven relationships that aren’t oriented around social media.
Currently, our set launch date is for June 2019
Platonic is owned by MC-Cubed. MC-Cubed, located in Duluth, Minnesota, is a biotechnology and manufacturing think-tank company. It was founded in 2016 by Nathan Lipinski. We are currently developing geolocation mobile apps to try to connect the bridge between starting conversation and meeting new people. That's how Plat was born.
Today, MC-Cubed has expanded to six employees working tirelessly to ensure that the products get to market while simultaneously developing Plat with 17 Web Dev. We are extremely excited about this journey, and can’t wait to see what the future holds for Plat!
Nathan's idea came to light when one day he realized that there are very few "non-dating" apps out there, that solely focuses on meeting new friends and developing deeper relationships. Out of these thoughts Plat came along, and a few months later Nathan partnered up with 17 Web Dev in NYC to further develop the app and make his dream come true.
Today, Plat is in Phase 2 of development, and all its employees are working day in and day out to make Plat as user friendly and appealing to the public as possible.
Risks and challenges
To sign up with Plat, notice that you have to be at least 18 years of age.
The expectations from Plat is to gain 100,000 active users within the first year (before June 2020) and to retain all these users. In order for Plat to cover its budget costs and other expenses, this goal needs to be reached in order to pursue the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)