About this project
Retribution is a supernatural fantasy setting for Savage Worlds, requiring a copy of any edition of the Savage Worlds rulebook. With some patience and creativity, it can be ported over to other Savage Worlds settings.
Traditional fantasy elements, such as classic races, ancient lore, and magic and mysticism, are intertwined with those things from beyond the natural world of Agador, namely spirits, the undead, and extraplanar entities.
You'll see select tiers marked with Make 100. That's because we're participating in Kickstarter's Make 100 initiative for January projects that strive to make 100 of something or cap particular perks at 100 or a combination of perks at a total of 100. We have highlighted our Legacy tiers, upgraded book tiers, and Noble Patron tier as our Make 100 tiers.
Scroll to See...
Key Points of Interest, Choose Your Level of Grit, Play Possibilities, Retribution Setting Summary, Backstory Video followed by And Now, Add-Ons, Shipping and Customs Information, and Stretch Goals.
Key Points of Interest
- PCs can be any of the six primary races (human, elf, dwarf, orc, gnome, half-folk), hybrids of them, or a spirit of a formerly living person (ghost).
- If a non-spirit PC dies, there is a chance she will be transformed into a playable spirit, which would require some stat adjustments and alter the character's abilities, but not be an entirely different character.
- Fighting entities who are not part of the mortal world utilizes Spiritual Parry and Spiritual Toughness, complements to the standard Parry and Toughness native to Savage Worlds.
- Spiritual combat is presented with two options for play, explained in Choose Your Level of Grit.
- Rules governing how supernatural being can affect the mortal world are included.
- Retribution offers Edges and Hindrances to create specialized characters such as unjailers who work to free entities who have been bound to this plane unwillingly, necromancers who study mastery of the dead, and exomancers who have the power to summon extraplanar beings.
- Unjailing is the specialized study of identifying and untethering usually unwillingly bound spirits who might be attached to people, places, or things. Necromancy is more than just animating skeletons or raising the dead as zombies, covering also medium arts, binding spirits, and working with other aspects of death. Exomancy applies only to those who come from beyond the mortal realm, allowing for beings to cross planes or their power to be harnessed.
- Spirits and extraplanar entities are not automatically evil, malevolent, or violent, so freeing them or otherwise interacting with them could have a variety of effects from being local heroes for helping trapped ancestors to proving your honor and gaining a spectral ally to making enemies of those who want to stay unhindered.
Choose Your Level of Grit
The standard setting rules for spiritual combat reduce the target's Spirit die temporarily on a successful attack. Optional rules allow for a spiritual wound track instead, possibly leaving surviving characters in a coma for hours or days. Either way, death by spiritual combat could result in the possibility of the PC continuing as a spirit.
Venture across the sea from the original homelands to Agador to escape a troubled past; seek to restore your ancestral village, leading to any number of options; portray a group of ghost hunters who want to banish any who don’t belong; assemble a group to search for relics of bygone days; work the trade routes, protecting merchants and finding adventure; be part of the burgeoning Agador Guard, who keep out pirates, or at least keep them under control; quest to release trapped spirits or try extraplanar entities who mean harm; or become part of the new political structure satisfying your own interest in power.
Retribution Setting Summary
The Great Betrayal – the civil war of Agador – led to the sundering of the fabric between the physical realm and many others. Play in a world where the planes of existence have leaked into Agador, introducing ghosts set upon terrorizing the living, allowing entry of previously unknown entities, and upsetting the natural order of the land.
Years later, after having thought the tear was managed, it seems that may not be the case. There are those who believe beings from beyond are spreading, seeking retribution for the disturbance.
Many are dead-set on wreaking havoc or have other mysterious agendas. However, not all are hostile. Some seek unjailers who can send them back to the planes from which the magical attacks and malicious intent pulled them. Others wish to explore what is here. There are those who are trapped by necromancy or exomancy. A few see themselves as new guardians of Agador.
This is a land of opportunity and peril. A place where the natural and supernatural collide. The Great Betrayal nearly destroyed all who inhabited it, but survivors and questors choose not to let it die. Join the ranks of descendants who are determined to restore order and bring renewed prominence to the island nation. Come to Agador to prove your strength and test your mettle. Break the cycle of retribution.
It’s been 50 years since the war ended and Agador united to defend itself against those who don’t belong. While many of the unearthly beings have been dispelled, banished, or otherwise stopped from occupying the physical world, the fabric holding the planes apart has never completely healed.
Several leaders are attempting to rebuild Agador, returning it to the splendor and purpose it achieved before The Great Betrayal. They’ve reached out to the faraway homelands inviting adventurers, merchants, and anyone else who will come in peace. They’ve rallied descendants of the first settlers, as well, hoping to harness their ambition as heirs of lost settlements. It is up to those who accept the challenge to quell the ongoing quest for retribution while aiding in the reformation of the once-proud nation.
To allow for some customization of your perks and to prevent having even more reward tiers to read through, we've got some add-ons.
If you see add-ons you want, simply increase your pledge by that amount. Additional shipping may be required, which we'll determine before the end of the Kickstarter so you know how much to adjust your pledge. You should keep track of what you want so when the time comes, you'll know what you had in mind. Please note, many add-ons are included in our upper-level rewards.
- DIY Minis PDF (minis of all six primary races, plus characters to match) - $4
- Diaries of Agador PDF (fiction from the point of view of canon characters across time) - $5
- Diaries of Agador Print (fiction from the point of view of canon characters across time) - $12
- GM Screen PDF (inserts for 8 1/2" x 11" screens) - $5
- GM Screen Print (9 x 18 game board bi-fold) - $15
- Agador Map Board (10 x 10) - $12
- Extra Copy of Retribution Quick Starts and Side Tracks Print (20-page volume excerpting key parts of setting guide to get world flavor and jump-start playing via quick start segments and adventure seeds for side adventures) - $8
- Extra Copy of Retribution Setting Guide Soft Cover Print - $20
- Spring (April-June) Online Game (4 hrs via Roll20, max five players), Limit 4 (verify availability before pledging) - $20
- Summer (July-September) Online Game (4 hrs via Roll20, max five players), Limit 4 (verify availability before pledging) - $20
- Upgrade Extra Copy to Hard Cover (Inheritance or above, charge per upgraded book) - $35
- Upgrade Extra Copy to Faux Leather (Inheritance or above, charge per upgraded book) - $50
- Savage Insider, Rebirth and Reinvention, in print (includes PDF) - $12.95 (Or 2 for $21, mix and match)
- Savage Insider, Uprising in print (includes PDF) - $12.95 (Or 2 for $21, mix and match)
- Tunse'al (Tribal Fantasy Setting, Previously Kickstarted) Print Items with Corresponding PDFs - Setting Guide - $25, Player's Guide - $10, Quick Starts and Side Tracks - $8, Tunse'al Bundle (Setting & Player's Guide, QSST, card deck, Wild Die) - $45)
Shipping for Stretch Goals/Add-ons and Customs Charges
Shipping costs vary depending upon exact selections and destinations, but range from moderate for US to it's-not-our-fault-crazy-expensive-are-you-sure-you-really-want-print-or-other-physical-products for outside US. To minimize shipping headaches on our end, all shipping will be via flat rate post. Most add-ons won't incur extra shipping, but if they do, we'll work out with you what to add to cover the extra, if needed. In most cases, it'd be an extra $5.
Although we originally has most rewards listed as shipping only to the US, if you are in another country and do want print, send us your mailing address by message before the KS closes and we'll figure out shipping on a case-by-case basis for you to decide if you want to pay it. Those outside the US are responsible for whatever customs charges are applicable upon receipt.
We have them! Do you want them? Alrighty! We'll at least give you some ideas. We have stretch goals for amounts of money raised, Legacy rewards being claimed, and social media buzz.
Fundraising Goals - The more money we bring in, the more add-ons, illustrations, and pages we can do. When we hit specific amounts beyond our minimum goal, one-page adventures called Spine Tinglers will be unlocked. They'll be written by fellow Savage Worlds licensees and freelancers. We have several on board and would love to have all of them be triggered to contribute. If we do exceedingly well, there's even a Cast of Characters on deck.
Legacy Rewards- When enough Legacy rewards are claimed, characters created through the Legacy Playtest will be gathered into Retribution: Legacy, a compendium of characters for use as NPCs and PCs. The more that are claimed, the more that happens.
Social Media Buzz - Campaigns are fueled by word of mouth, which online means sharing, plusing, retweeting, following, circling, and the like. The more we see this campaign talked about in forums, shared via Facebook, tweeted about, and otherwise tagged, the more we will throw in goodies for all backers, regardless of pledge level. Privacy settings may prevent us from knowing all Facebook shares and posts, but links posted in Comments and tagging Obatron Productions can help! Adventure seeds, fiction, and even issues of Savage Insider can be unlocked here. Back the project and spread the word with the hashtag #RetributionRPG to help unlock our Social Media Buzz stretch goals and #Make100 to potentially attract Kickstarter's attention for our participation in their Make 100 initiative, which could in turn get us more attention and funding and you more game support.
Secret Rewards - As we hit unannounced goals, additional contributions will be added, predominately by guest creatives from the Savage Worlds community. It could be a certain number of backers, an undisclosed dollar amount, having interactive conversations on comments, seeing someone link a forum topic discussing Retribution...any number of things. Contributions may be characters, locations, sketches, more accessories, or other such things.
As goals are met, we'll reveal the next one in the related category.
- Legacy Rewards - Retribution: Legacy has been unlocked and will include at least 20 entries.
- Fundraising Goals - We met our minimum and have unlocked nearly all our fundraising stretch goals, a Spine Tingler each by Eric Lamoureux, Kevin Rohan (and a second one for upper ranks), Jim Thomson, Jim Davenport, Jonathan Thompson, Travis Legge, Marc Langworthy, and Carinn Seabolt. We also unlocked Cast of Cards, a deck of characters, made possible by Matt Heerdt. We've just unlocked one of our SUPER STRETCH goals, an adventure generator as part of the setting guide.
- Social Media Buzz - We had enough shares and remarks to unlock a combined 20 adventure seeds.
- Secret Rewards - We've hit some secret rewards, including a location contributed by Carinn Seabolt, one by Travis Legge, and a super-detailed one by Robin English-Bircher, and several inclusions of character concepts from backers that we'll flesh out for Cast of Cards (Characters).
About Unlocked Stretch Goal Authors
All are Savage Worlds licensees or freelancers who have worked on SW-related pieces. We'll tell you about the authors as their goals are unlocked.
Kevin Rohan is one of the founders of and content director for Silver Gryphon Games, creators of Wellstone City.
Jim Thomson writes for Plain Brown Wrapper Games and is the "author of Bedlam City, The Bad Guys, 13 Shades of Darkness, and lots of other stuff."
Carinn Seabolt of Evil Beagle Games is known for her editing and is the co-creator for their upcoming modern supernatural setting, The Crew.
Jonathan Thompson is behind Battlefield Press, which has a variety of Savage Worlds items in its catalog.
Travis Legge is the game developer for Aegis Studios.
Matt Heerdt is one of the masterminds behind Warning Label, known for its Savage Worlds Cast of Cards, decks of character cards.
Thanks to the many people who played Retribution games over the last two years! Your feedback helped us get to where we are. It is with great appreciation we acknowledge Edward Douglas of Midnight Syndicate for allowing us the use of "Dark Legacy" from The Dead Matter: Cemetery Gates. Follow the link for more information about that and other CDs, many of which would work extremely well as background music as you play Retribution.
Risks and challenges
Obatron Productions has previously produced its debut RPG setting, Tunse’al (funded via Kickstarter), and multiple issues of Savage Insider, which is like an RPG book in many ways. We already have established writers, editors, and illustrators, and we do the layout ourselves.
The single biggest risk to the project is a personal tragedy, which is unlikely, but – in the real world – possible. If something horrible should befall one or both co-owners, the project could fail to come to fruition.
The next biggest and much less tragic risk is delay. Sometimes, despite our most valiant efforts to the contrary, circumstances beyond our control disrupt our schedules. We have estimated delivery times in good faith, but a delay in any part of the production chain can create a domino effect that pushes out other parts of the schedule. Something being one day late, can easily mean something else will then be one week late.
In the event that there is a delay, we will keep this project updated.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (32 days)