About this project
Since opening our doors in May 2016, El Club has been committed to providing an inclusive space for diverse and exciting programming. We’ve welcomed more than 20,000 clubgoers to over 125 shows in just our first six months. It has been our tremendous pleasure to become a part of Southwest Detroit’s lively and exceptional community.
Now we are hoping to implement our full vision and expand into an adjacent property, activating the building into an multi-purpose community, cafe, performance space and retail space.
With your help, we can bring to life our 2nd building and transform it into a multi-level cultural center, a stellar facility and resource for local artists, musicians, and organizers.
Our vision includes transforming and organizing the space as such:
The basement we will convert into several state-of-the-art practice spaces, as well as a silk screen studio, providing local musicians and artists with rental access to much-needed facilities.
A ground floor that will function as a cafe and retail space, which will display ephemera and wares from local, as well as national, artists and crafters. This will also serve as a second, smaller (150 cap.) venue, to showcase smaller, experimental projects, as well as open mic nights, readings, etc.
The top floor we hope to establish as a new and innovative gallery, that in addition to exhibiting varied and international talents, will be committed to showcasing the many exceptional Michigan artists. It will also offer workshops and art classes, as well as serve as a location for AA meetings, and other community resources.
The building itself is a beautiful and historic site from the early 1900s. Formerly a hardware store, we plan to restore the singular charm and characteristics of this space, and bring it back to life by repurposing this exquisite but long-neglected building as a center for art.
For our backers, we have a tiered selection of exciting rewards to thank you for your patronage with promised access to El Club you know and love:
- $5 + (every donation helps!) gets you a personalized thank you note and CD-R mixtape
- $15+ Limited edition El Club tote bag with surprise goody inside
- 20+ El Club show poster zine
- $25+ *PIZZA PARTY* 4 free pizzas at El Club
- $50+ pledge gets you a ticket to our opening night at The Vernor Cafe (with surprise guest)
- $60+ Select from various vinyl bundles from our friends at Sacred Bones, Sargent House, Dais Records, Wolf Eyes, Ascetic House, Mt Analog, and Ghostly
- $100+ Silver Tier membership! Free shows for the month of your choice!
- $250+ Gets you 5 Tix to 5 shows, with a +1, a free pizza (per show)
- $300+ Painting from Emma Kolhmann
- $500+ Gold Membership = free admission for one year
- $1000+ Platinum Membership = lifetime entry to all shows at El Club !
- $2000+ Platinum membership = lifetime entry with guest + free pizza at each show!
- $2500+ Throw yr own party at El Club!
We have high hopes to transform our adjacent building into an unmatched cultural arts center and community resource, and every dollar helps!
Risks and challenges
Some of the risks that cause delay are contractor work and city permit issues; however, we’ve already designed and built El Club into a state of the art performance venue so can anticipate potential problems, and are committed to a relationship of transparency with our backers.
The building is not in great condition, and needs serious maintenance. There are always surprises, and the possibility that we will have to source additional funding to realize the spaces potential.
However, as our endeavors designing and building El Club were successful, we can anticipate the hurdles and challenges that may come our way, and have the experience to work to make sure we stay on-budget with our development costs. We promise to be transparent with our backers about our progress, as we appreciate your generous donations immensely!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)