In the future a reclusive old woman finds a helper bot in her deceased husband's study. Their relationship grows and so does she. Read more
This project was successfully funded on June 1, 2011.
About this project
This short film, “Echo,” is Jacob Menache’s senior film in his final year at the Savannah College of Art and Design. Although comedy is one of Jacob’s strong suites, “Echo” is sci-fi drama. The film takes place in the not-too distant future where Lydia, a woman in her mid-70s, lives alone. Since the death of her husband, Lydia’s grief has kept her from any technological change or updates from the outside world. She discovers a helper-bot in her dead husband's study. A helper-bot named Echo. Lydia is skeptical to this new and unwanted technology but over time, she comes to accept this robot as a companion that will stifle the pain of living alone.
We are excited about the project, and hope you are too. Any donation would help. If you don’t know how Kickstarter works, if we don’t meet, or exceed, our goal of $5000, we don’t get any of the money. So any contribution you make in helping that little green bar max out is genuinely appreciated.
What your money will help us with:
- Building the robot - We have a team of industrial designers building a suit for our actor to wear for the character of Echo. The better the materials, the more realistic our robot suit will look.
- Professional actor - Our lead, is an experienced professional actress and she will be on set for most of the film.
- Renting lenses - We need to rent lenses for precision, sharpness and the best quality that we can get out of our camera.
- Feeding the crew - Our crew works for free because they are students like us, but they still need to eat. Food is pivotal in keeping the cast and crew, of about 25 people, upbeat and focused to make the film go as smoothly as possible.
- Renting a location - Our primary location will be a single story ranch style house that we will rent a couple weeks early to set dress and pre-light.
- Furnishing the location - This is where all the props come in. From old TVs to futuristic coffee machines.
- Truck rental - We are going to have a lot of equipment, from lighting to props and we will need to rent a vehicle to move it all.
- Promotional material for the festival circuit (paying entry into festivals, printing of the poster) - We plan for “Echo” to make the film festival circuit, and your money will help with entry fees thereby getting us more opportunities to get the film seen and gain attention. Subsequently, getting your name out there with a possible Executive Producing credit.
Our projected shoot dates are the weekends of May 20th-21st and May 27th-29th. This is the heart of the film process. During these dates we will shoot the entire movie wrapping up principal photography.
As we are shooting, post-production will have already begun. Our editor will be cutting the movie together as soon as we give her the footage from that shooting day. A rough cut will be made and simultaneously post sound work will begin. Over the summer, a score will be composed for the film and work will begin on creating Echo's distinct voice. Once the fall months roll around we will begin fine tuning the edit of the film, adding the sound work, and color correcting the film. Once this is done the movie will then be entered into film festivals and begin its festival circuit.
Follow us online at http://echo-movie.com/ or on twitter @ECHOmovie
Thank you for your time and donations.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
$1. Why thank you I am running out of tissues. These fine green pieces of paper that I expel mucus into are fantastic for tying string to and watching the homeless run after as I drive away in my Maserati. For this round of fun you've given me I tip my silk top hat to you! With this donation you will receive a thank you email and a place in my heart.
Pledge $10 or more
Well aren’t you sweet. Not that I need your money, but I appreciate the gesture. I hear from poor people that every dollar helps--I guess you’re taking that to heart. With a donation of $10 or more the cast and crew will think fondly of you and you’ll and get a personalized thank you e-mail and be added to our e-mail list to get insider updates about the film.
Pledge $25 or more
Ah, $25. I remember when I got my first $25 bill. Yes, I know they’re rare. It’s because I bought all of them to wallpaper my guest bathroom. But no matter the bill combination you conjure up, a donation of $25 or more will get the above benefits plus your name in the “Helpful Patrons” section of the credits.
Pledge $50 or more
As a child I got a daily allowance of $50. I used the money to fund my search for the Wonka bar with a golden ticket. When I realized it was all a scam, I used my allowance to build a candy machine that would put Mr. Wonka to shame. I’m glad you’d like to give your allowance to this film. $50 or more will get you the above benefits plus a copy of the Echo DVD in the mail signed by the actors, and director of the film.
Pledge $100 or more
There’s a campaign to my face on the $100 dollar bill. It’s still in the works, but trust me, it’s going to happen. I will still graciously accept yours’ though, with Benjamin Jackson or Andrew Franklin...whoever’s wrinkly mug in the center. With a donation of $100 or more you’ll get the above benefits plus a special mention in our Thank You video for all your friends to see what a good, wealthy person you are.
Pledge $250 or more
I let my laundry butler keep the change he finds in my pockets. And, wouldn’t you know it, he found $250 last week? So little gets James excited. But, your generous donation of $250 or more I assure you, will make me quite jolly. Your $250 or more will get you the above benefits plus a script signed by the director of the film.
Pledge $500 or more
Once I ate a golden jelly bean with a diamond center that was $500, the same price as a prosthetic leg for a squirrel. I’m beginning to think people like you are as rich as me, but I’m not threatened. With a donation of $500 or more, you get the above benefits plus the poster for the film.
Pledge $1,000 or more
1G! Now, you’re the kind of person I would like to go to the country club with for a round of golf. Our caddies can play in the dreadful heat while we sip our Cristal Brut 1990 from diamond-encrusted champagne flutes. With a donation of $1000 or more you get the above benefits plus your name under the much honored title of Executive Producer.
- (30 days)