Visual Art, Music, Dance, Film and Fun all under the
uniting umbrella, ART.
This is Apostrophe.
In the 1 year that we were open (2012-2013), Apostrophe hosted over 50 events showcasing close to 100 musicians and 50 visual artists and became a base for a collaborative network of artists and entrepreneurs.The new space will give a body and physicality to the contagious energies of art, creativity and love while continuing to find and foster underground and emerging artists in all fields.
One great example of the connections and creativity breed at Apostrophe is Salomon Faye and Ryan Bock, who met at our original location and went on to make an incredible multimedia collaboration, "Quest"
*fun fact some of Salomon's vocals on "Quest" were recorded at Apostrophe!
Become a permanent part of Apostrophe by donating today!
All backers of $20 and over will have their name memorialized on Apostrophe's "Wall of Original Backers", that will stand in our community garden.
In the summer of 2012 with under $10,000 to our name my brother and I opened our dream of an art gallery/music venue. We called it Apostrophe and began throwing art shows and music events.
The events quickly became a magnet for a community of underground artists and musicians on the cutting edge in Bushwick, Brooklyn. With the help of this community that grew around us, Apostrophe’s vision of a space where artists could be free to explore and experiment in a utopian womb become real.
Although Apostrophe’s original space was financially successful, in the Fall of 2013 we lost our lease due to existing building code issues. In the initial aftermath of Apostrophe’s closing, we were worried that our dream had died with the space, but we soon discovered that what we had built was bigger than any physical space.
In the last few months, the artists and musicians that helped us succeed have continued to evolve artistically and built an even bigger following making it clear to us that the Apostrophe community and our infectious energy to create art will never die. Now it’s time to rebuild a completely legal physical space where we can all continue to dream, create, and make art!
----Now Offering The Entire Collection of 4 for only $50!!!------------------->
This Kickstarter will help us rent an amazing space that we have our eyes on. It’s within a half mile of our old space, conveniently located by an L station, 5 times larger, and in an industrial zone where noise and crowds will no longer be an issue. The larger space will give us the ability to host large scale installations and larger capacity concerts as well as a store and food/coffee truck that will help offset the costs.
Where will your donations be going?
Our goal of $75,000 will pay for: 5 months rent - ($10,000 x 5) = ($50,000)Renovations of the gallery, venue, bar, and out garden, building the "making" installation - ($12,000)Line array sound system, projectors - ($10,000) Artist installation budget for 3 months ($1000 x 3) - ($3,000)
When you help us meet our larger stretch goals or donate directly towards the solar panels we will also begin building the system of solar panels.
Thanks for sharing our dream and keeping Apostrophe alive!
Features of the new Apostrophe:
The Store will be a market place that will sell limited edition merchandise from all of Apostrophe’s solo shows as well as merchandise from a select and rotating group of associated companies and artists.
The companies/Artists represented at Apostrophe's new store will include:
Farm to People
Richard&Grace (new website coming soon!)
little L I N G designs
The Food Truck will be located in Apostrophe's outdoor sculpture park and gardens and will provide snacks, lunch foods, and beverages. Right now, we're exploring options for collaboration with an existing Food Truck.
The Facade Walls of Apostrophe will be in a constant state of collaboration with mural and graffiti artists providing a space for artist to paint, wheat-paste and draw freely.
The wall space will be open to the public on an application basis, as well as featuring work from handpicked artists.
The Garden will be landscaped into the sculptor park and will be a community garden that will also provide gardening classes.
"Making" will be a permanent art installation in the back of the gallery. It will consist of 3 large rooms and 2 smaller ones. The 3 larger rooms will be rented out to visual artists as studios and the 2 other rooms will be a barber shop and a post-production editing suit, respectively. Each room will have one open wall facing the gallery, so people can watch as the art is being created.
The Club Installations each month the venue space of Apostrophe will be redesigned with installation artists to embody the @' theme of that month.
For more information on Apostrophe check out these articles and interviews:
- DNAinfo - interview about the reopening- Underground Party Boys Try to Go Legit After City Shutters Their Space
"Sky’s the Limit For the Brothers Behind Apostrophe (Unless They Buy That Plane)" from Bedford + Bowery
- Sizzle & Squeeze's Interview with Sei and Ki
"Gritty Underground Wonder, Apostrophe is Even Better Than Expected" from The Bushwick Daily
"Cash Rules Everything Around Me... But It Doesn't Rule Me" from Cypher League
- Hand Written Thank You Note: If you like reading the word "thank you" this is definitely the prize for you, but seriously the doodles are gonna be great. In doodles you see art unfettered by reasons.
- Apostrophe's Backers Guest-list: at each of Apostrophe's first year events (except the opening weekend) there will a Backers Guest-list that will reserve 20 spots with +1's at each event. Backers will receive an invitation to every event and the first 20 people to respond will get on the guest list.
- The Micro Collector: a set of 3 original limited edition 4" x 6" prints by 1 of 5 Apostrophe artists: Ryan Bock, Alana Dee Haynes, Lautaro, Kolter Hodgson, Sei Smith. If wanna be an art collector, this is the prize for you. It's a little known fact, that this is exactly how Gagosian got his start in the art world!
- Artist Designed T-Shirts: Lots of time art makes great clothing. One of the things we like to think about at Apostrophe is how to envision art and interact with it in as many ways as possible; this is one way.
- The New Apostrophe T-Shirt: In a few weeks we're going to host a little event to come up with the next image for our Apostrophe T-Shirt. This won't be some kind of artistic competition instead it will be a large scale collaboration hopefully capturing the frenetic energy that so many minds working together creates. Get the shirt and be a part of the fun!
- (pictures coming soon!)
- Designing an "@' event": Do you have a dream party in your head? Something so spectacular it probably shouldn't be attempted by mortals. Well, if you do we wanna hear it and we wanna make it so real your dreams seem boring! Our "@' events" were a monthly event series, in which we remodel our space to embody a theme. Previous @' events include: Carnival, Polka-dot Party and End of The World (See past events for pictures) Now we need your help to come up with ideas that'll make the past parties seem pedestrian!
- Apostrophe Art Box: The Apostrophe art box is a 1' x 1' handmade wooden box painted and filled with a personalized collection of art created by 1 of our 5 featured Apostrophe artists. Fluxes + cracker jacks = Apostrophe Art Box. Buy a square foot of an artist's world!
Apostrophe will reopen on lease as a gallery and venue.
Apostrophe will reopen on lease as a gallery and venue, partially solar powered.
Apostrophe will be 100% solar powered.
Apostrophe will buy the building out right to create a permanent 100% solar powered gallery/venue.
Apostrophe will not only open in NYC but also open a sister venue abroad (most likely Barcelona or Berlin). Both will be fully solar powered.
Risks and challenges
With 2 years of experience throwing gallery and music events, we're confident that the art-centered aspects of venue and gallery management will not pose any serious challenges. The most exciting challenge we'll be facing will be the construction of the solar panel system.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)