Giving Away Free Jumpman Forever Reviewer / Preview Copies!
I'm going to say up front: thank online game press for what I'm about to do, everyone who contributes is getting a copy of Jumpman Forever's preview :-) See, I've been asked a couple of times for review copies of the game - stuff that's still in alpha, not even beta level yet. I keep kicking around the idea of doing it, and told myself, well, why not.
I started putting together a preview build for reviewers, writer, bloggers, etc. to get their hands on. There's advantages for me, of course: more exposure for the game, and more exposure for the Kickstarter. But, well, it didn't seem fair that only they got to play it.
So, what I'm doing is this: anyone who has backed the campaign so far, or backs the campaign between now and the end, I'm going to give you the same preview copy. Now, there's some restrictions:
- It's only Mac and Windows copies. Android, iOS, Ouya, and Linux has more testing & release overhead involved.
- It's only 8 - 10 levels (I haven't made up my mind which levels)
- It's only Jumpman levels. Red's levels aren't ready to go, yet. (In fact, her abilities are still being tweaked.)
- It's a PREVIEW. There are still things that are broken, and there are still things being tweaked.
- Not all game styles are in there yet. Speed run and Advanced mode isn't in there.
- No level editor.
- No multi-player. That's still highly experimental.
- No cloudPages.me integration. The APIs aren't ready for that yet.
- No joystick / joypad support (unless you use something like JoyToKey)
There is only going to be one build of it - it's not going to get updated. The next copies that go out after that are the Beta copies in late December / early January (and only to those who's contribution included a Beta copy reward.)
We're going on the honor system - there's no copy protection, not "phone home", nothing like that. So, please, don't give out copies of it - if someone wants to play it, tell 'em to go spend the $2 for a rewarded copy, or $10 to become a beta tester. :-)
Sounds great so far, right? Well, I'm asking something in return, beyond the normal rewards. I'm not going to enforce it by any means, but, it helps is get the Kickstarter closer to it's goal:
- If you have a Twitter account, follow @MidnightRyder and @JumpmanForever
- Tweet that you're going to play the Jumpman Forever preview (and hashtag it #Jumpman - I'll follow ya' and retweet it, so the world knows how damned cool you really are! :-)
- If you're on Facebook, follow Midnight Ryder Technologies
- Post that you're playing Jumpman Forever Preview (with the link www.JumpmanForever.com - which just leads to the Kickstarter page at the moment), and throw the #Jumpman hashtag on there
- Same goes for Google+ Users
- If you're a blogger or press, be sure to post about it!
- If you're on one of the retrogaming forums, post about it!
Most of Friday and part of Saturday is going to be spent working on getting the "little things" worked out properly - for instance, in the shot below, you can see the level title screen looks pretty good, but, it's off center. Just little things like that to give everyone a good, solid experience with it.
While playing it you have permission to:
- Take screenshots
- Take video
- Live stream it (someone is planning on doing that)
- Anything reasonable to add to your post, tweet, blog, news, podcast, video, etc. :-)
Except don't hand it out to others - for $1, they could see the preview. For $2 they can see the preview, and have their own copy when it comes out. For $10 they can see the preview, have their own copy when it comes out, and get in on the beta.
For $1000, they can... you get the idea!