Jumpman Forever Beta 3 Released!
Wow, that took forever. Trust me, we didn't expect anything like the time frame it took for this update - and we didn't expect to have to edit every last level and every graphic. Seriously, this one was "a thing".
BUT: It's done!
And so are a couple of extra support & community mechanisms. You've all seen the Bug Board at JumpmanForever.com, of which a good number are taken care of (or were feature requests that aren't happening right now.) Now, there's a place for Jumpman Forever fanatics to congregate - the Jumpman Forever forums :-) Right now, it's a simple affair with just one area to post in, but we'll be filling it out over time. Oh, and if you're wanting to chat about the original games, there's a place there for you, too! :-)
You don't have to be in on the Beta to dig into the forums. :-)
Of course, you're not interested in that: you're interested in getting some beta action going. OK, well, let me tell you what's new, first:
- Pause Menu: When you pause the game (p) you get the option to restart a level (which costs you a player) and exit to the main menu.
- It should run on everything now. Seriously. If it doesn't, tell me ASAP.
- Improved graphics. Part of the reason for the delay was having to redo ALL of the graphics, but keep exactly the same style. This was so the game ran in a non-retro resolution, but kept the style. (It also preps us for the future, anyways - we needed to make ready for when we eventually do some alternate graphics sets for the game.)
- Slightly improved performance. You should see just under 60 FPS at all time, on just about any underpowered machine you can throw it on (OK, I suppose some REALLY old machines would harf on it.) In the upper right hand of the screen you'll see a nice little display that shows something like 59/60 or 60/60 - that's how many FPS it's running. If you see it consistently below 40 FPS, please drop me a line. I want to know why you're trying to run it on a 386 ;-)
- Lots of little tweaks from the bug board
- Randomizer! Yes, we've finally broke down and added the randomizer from the original Jumpman game - get ready for non-linear gameplay ;-)
We've also laid the groundwork for a couple of new game modes, but we're going to keep them for later ;-)
Remember - this is a beta release, only available to backers who were at the beta level or better. BUT - depending on how many bugs we see from this, it may be the last beta (I'm sure we'll have one or two things to clean up before release, but this should be close.)
So, the betas... get 'em right here! The password is the same as last time (and, if you've forgotten it, and are a beta backer - contact me, I'll give you the password again.)
- Davis Ray Sickmon, Jr
- Lead Developer,
- Jumpman Forever