About this project
I have been exhibiting at comic conventions for 6 years now, and in doing so I meet a lot of talented artists & crafters. It was with great fortune that I met Gina D'Angelo, a seamstress under the name of "Super Sox Shop" who specializes in plushies, hoodies, and her infamous geeky holiday stockings. It only took a few conversations to get the ball rolling on this project!
There are just SO MANY wonderful aspects to these bean bag plusihes, and regarding this project as a whole, I shall now machine-gun-fire a bullet-point list of awesomeness for you to digest:
- First and FOREMOST: with this Kickstarter you are not just supporting one independent entrepreneur, but TWO! At the same time! Your money goes towards Gina's expenses and labor, AND towards having extra plushies made for Dawn to sell at conventions and online!
- These are NOT mass produced toys made in China. They are handmade with care, by Gina herself, individually signed and numbered. These are collectible items, not kids toys, they are truly one of a kind!
- Again, NOT made in China... but Made in the U.S.A.!
- These adorable plushies, at approximately 8" tall, are created with high end polyester fleece, embroidered features, hand knit antennae, stuffed fiber fill, beans and wuuuuuv. Even Fred's striped "kitty sock tail" is hand sewn and attached "properly" with a safety pin! Quality is in the details, for sure.
- If you are a reader of Dawn's comic, what a way to pay tribute to 9 years of insightful laughs with Zorphbert & Fred! Be apart of the Grand Finale!
There's Reward Levels for anyone! Be it a couple bucks for a cool wallpaper, a best-of ebook, rare original art, or the plushies themselves, there's plenty of choices for anyone who wants to support us!
- Have you LOOKED at these plushies???! Gina cute-ified them so much it should be illegal! You will not be able to stop squeezing them, even when your heartless boss begs you to get back to work.
"Zorphbert & Fred" is a 9-year-old all-ages comic strip written and drawn by Dawn Griffin (myself!). It follows 2 aliens in dog costumes on their mission to research humanity-- obviously resulting in awkward hilarity. We are pretty weird, after all. "Z&F" is published online and in printed collections.
I made the decision to bring the comic to a close at the beginning of 2015. The last comic will post on July 31st (also marking the end of this Kickstarter), wrapping up their adventure on Earth. To celebrate with a "Grand Finale", I wanted to find a way to produce the item my readers ask for the most: Z&F Plushies! So, here we are!
Rather than stump you with endless reward levels, shipping costs, add-ons or anything that will complicate things and make heads hurt... we decided to keep things simple for you. FREE shipping. 7 main reward levels to start. A few more to be revealed through July. Pretty easy, huh?
Pick your poison, Earthlings!
LIMITED EDITION SUPER PLUSHIES!
*************ONLY FIVE sets available! Snag these QUICK!****************
Take a gander at Brendon and Brian Fraim's fantastic pen & ink rendering of the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia HERE!
********ONLY THREE slots available! ********
As excited as we would be to see this project funded at $3,000, we are also offering a couple Stretch Goals, to really spruce up your plushie packages in the mail!
No proper adoption of adorable dogs (even if they are really aliens inside) should take place without a certificate! Thanks to you wonderful backers, we have now hit $4,000, and can UPGRADE all plush orders to include a personalized adoption certificate, signed by Gina and Dawn, and including an original sketch of the characters thanking you PERSONALLY! Why not make it official, right?!
If we hit $5,000, along with the certificate, all the plush pledges will ALSO include the newest and FINAL book in the Z&F series! Signed by Dawn with sketch! Now THAT'S how you go out with a BANG!
The 9 years working with 2 characters as insightful, funny, and unique as these aliens in dog costumes, have been 9 of the best years of my life. I will continue making all-ages comics in the future, but there would be no better way to salute Zorphbert & Fred as they hover off into the horizon, than to see this project succeed. I sincerely love and appreciate all my readers, and if we can pull together to get this Kickstarter project funded, it would be quite an accomplishment we can ALL share in. Gina and I are so excited to team up, we hope you are just as excited to share in the process with us!
Risks and challenges
While Gina is an accomplished self-employed seamstress with many years of experience, she is indeed one person and is handling the labor involved with creating these plushies. Please be patient as she cranks out each of these hand-made collectibles! We will do our best to fulfill those who backed the highest reward levels first, and work down the line, sharing our steps as we go! Any unforeseen delays will be addressed to the best of our ability. To date, we have the materials selected and the prototypes finalized, we just need YOUR help to finance the labor, materials and other fees! We CAN do this, together!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)