I love how we are still rolling! 750 Backers and Kicktraq thinks we are currently trending to over $100K (update here, which fluctuates)!! This is surreal!!! I once dared to dream $50K during one starry-eyed manic moment, but after some recent test marketing, I was worried I wouldn't even make my goal. The best thing about this for me? The validation. The validation that some other people out there think the same things are cool.
Thanks to everyone for their ongoing support and ideas.
Quick and dirty:
1) Keepin' it simple: The priority is executing the Classic Doublesix (pipped ivory) flawlessly and swiftly. Now that our goal is reached, I will move forward as planned in producing the mold and first 10,000 units (vs. waiting until the funding period expires).
2) Other Options: Once production has been finalized, we can spend much more energy and focus debating other options, including Dual dice (that can function as d(2x6) and d12), Fudge or Fate Dice, D-Total (referred by Zed L), precision dice, others, and bonuses like dice bags and such.
3) D(3x4): We may also eventually explore this much in-demand variation, even as a whole other Kickstarter. However, we will need to clarify the extent of the demand, and how it will be better than other similar options already on the market, like the Chessex Urban Camo Roman and pipped Koplow (the latter, with 21 in stock, may sell out after this posting; and thanks to Ross T for the links).
4) Better Quality: the Classic is currently slated to be produced from a mold by a Chinese manufacturer (Ningbo Lijia). These will not be precision quality dice that casinos will be clamoring for. They will have rounded edges, but should suit the needs of your average (and above-average) gamer. However, since the interest and demand in d(2x6) seems clear, I want to explore other cost-effective US-based manufacturing options (with higher potential quality and quality-control). I will resume this search, but will also take any leads (please post here, or message me).
5) Transparency: I have gotten some comments seeking more reassurance regarding my integrity and intent with this Kickstarter. Please keep in mind that I am real person with my professional reputation at stake (www.drmattfleming.com), as well as another LLC that I want to keep in good standing (Sparkbugg, with proof of active VA state license here). Also below is a screenshot of paypal payments to Eric for the prototypes (March), and to Julia at Ningbo for dice samples (Feb).
Ron: Thanks for writing to me. It is fine with me if you leave my name on your project. It is not necessary to send any money to me. Best of luck with your venture.
Me: Thanks for your support! How about a charity I can send the money to in your name, or a donation to my local high school Math club?
Ron: Your local math club would be great.
So now we have $300 to spend on a donation to the Washington-Lee Math Club. Maybe it can just be money, but how about some gifts or experiences? Feel free to brainstorm your ideas here (comment below), especially related to games, dice, geometry, mathematics, Kickstarter, and entrepreneurship.
Enough (too much?) for now,