Dear Team Doublesix,
This is the first of several updates about both the current state of Doublesix Dice, and the lead up to another Kickstarter (KS), this time for Generation Two. I would love your help and feedback as we prepare for KS:DD6G2.
1) Next Kickstarter: the plan is to launch in the next month or two. Like with Generation One, I hope backers will help me decide new colors, effects, sizes, and even more styles (d3? numerals?). I have also figured out how to improve the quality (more frequent mold swaps to prevent warped dice).
Double-Up: The goal is for us to see twice as many Doublesixes than regular D6s out in the wild.
The Campaign as a Game: I also want to turn the actual Kickstarter campaign into a game, and will need help with designing and planning.
2) Store Update: In the year since the last update, the online store has generated $11,557 in sales, from 586 orders (ave. 1.6 orders/day) with zero marketing. This is likely due to folks like you spreading the word. Thanks!
3) Temporary Restocking: Most of Gen One has sold out. Until Gen Two kickstarts into production, I have been airmailing dice in from Longbright (China) to restock the store.
4) The Council: I am looking for advisors, teammates, and co-creators to help me plan for the upcoming campaign. It should be fun, and you will be rewarded.
5) How to Unsubscribe: Jump to the end.
1) The Next Kickstarter: You helped me launch this brand with the first Kickstarter. I now need help to hit escape velocity.
Ideally, the next KS will be launched in the next month or two, with the maximum length (60ish days). As with the last campaign, it will be a team effort, as we brainstorm and vote on the dice ideas we generate.
The goal - Double-Up: I see very little reason we are still trying to roll cubes. It is an old, out-dated paradigm, like trying to fund a start-up with a bank loan. People keep needing to be shown that there is a better way. And this is not just so I can get rich. This is to help finance something else to come, something bigger.
Campaign Gamified: I want to make the Kickstarter campaign an actual game backers can play. The world will be our gameboard, and territories will include FLGS and play-worthy bars, coffee shops, and living rooms. Backers will have 45ish days to participate in campaign-relevant challenges, including discovering and conquering/developing territories (probably by playing games, especially dice ones), all towards points, possibly stretch goals, and ultimate victory.
3) Restocking: Longbright, our manufacturer in China, is currently producing dice to airmail to me to restock the depleted online store until we get a larger order and shipment in via the next KS. So far, I have received 1,000 Classics, 1,000 Glossy Red with Black, and 5,000 Flat Blacks with Red. Currently being produced: 5,000 Marble Green with Gold.
Check out their production video below (the first stage is of regular d6s, but the rest shows Doublesixes). Amazingly, airmailing 5,000 dice only cost around $150 (thanks to the help of our contact in China, Emma).
4) The Council: I need a team to help launch the next Kickstarter, as it is way better, and more fun, with others. I want to hear your ideas and thoughts around planning the next Kickstarter campaign (especially the game part).
And I want to reward you for your help. I am considering using Habitica (video below) for project management, communication, and progress tracking. Team members will be able to earn points (gold/silver), which can eventually be used for various rewards in real life (eg. Doublesix Dice discounts, perks, access to rare dice, etc). Please sign up HERE (you can also sign up to just lurk and stay up to date in real-time).
To those who have gotten this far, let me be clear: you are being summoned. This is a calling, to participate in helping create something fun and new.
6) How to unsubscribe:
1) Log into your Kickstarter account
2) Click on your avatar (upper right-hand corner)
3) Under "Settings," got to "Notifications"
4) Under "Projects you've backed," uncheck the box for Doublesix Dice