Dear Team Doublesix,
- About 4,925 packages have been shipped. Most of you seem to be happy with the dice, and I am thrilled hearing about that.
- If your friends are wanting to order some dice, please have them sign up at www.doublesixdice.com, where they will be contacted once the store launches.
US Random Roll 2 with Add-ons is the last US batch to be processed, but there is still a hold up that I hope will resolve this week.
- There are some loose US orders that I continue to find and send, including special requests, and a few Random Rolls that were lost in the shuffle because of similar Kickstarter names.
- The remainder of the International Orders will be shipped in bulk, during the week of November 2nd (estimated), because it will now be handled by Asendia, to save on shipping costs.
- I love seeing your photos on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, so thanks to you all. Here is my favorite (video) so far, by Ronald Distor:
US Random Roll with Add-ons
- US RR2 with Add-ons were among the first Random Rolls to be imported from Backerkit (BK) to Shipstation (SS), the postage and labeling software.
- Though I was able to also import each random roll quantity for each backer (after tech support in BK wrote a script to help with this), I screwed up and didn't assign each single die a weight (of 0.16 oz). As a result, each order in SS doesn't have the proper weight, which means it doesn't have the right postage.
- I attempted to delete all 475 orders, to try to re-import the corrected data, but for whatever reason, SS doesn't allow one to delete orders, just cancel them (and they remain in the account, just as "Cancelled"). I even spoke with tech support and asked if they could delete those orders on the back-end, but they said they couldn't (they could only nuke ALL the data, which I didn't want to do).
- Since the orders are still there (and won't go anywhere), it is not allowing me to re-import, or even override the old data (as I was told it would).
- In the meantime, I moved on to fulfilling US RR2 without add-ons, where I learned from my mistake and was able to import the proper weights.
Solution attempt #1: after speaking with one tech, I was told to create another channel and store in Shipstation, and try again. I did so, and called it Backerkit #2, but the data from Backerkit still never made it into the 2nd store during repeated attempts
Solution attempt #2: after completing all the US Random Roll 2 without add-ons this weekend, I shut down store #1 (made it inactive), and then reset the API keys in SS, and plugged those in a new channel in BK. That didn't work, even after I deleted the old SS channel in BK.
Next: I will speak with tech support again this monday to see how we can fix this problem. Worst case (but not so bad) scenario is that I open up a whole new Shipstation account and resume from scratch.
My initial research indicated that USPS was the best way to ship packages under 4 pounds globally, so that is what I started doing. The lightest packages were being shipped at $12.21 per package, even though I charged $8 during the campaign (my naive mistake).
While I was doing this, a manager at the Post Office told me to contact their field agent to see if I could get a better deal, so I put global shipping on hold as I attempted to do this.
The field agent was a very nice guy, and tried to help, but would never call me back. So I had to keep calling him to follow-up, and catch him when he picked up the phone. Meanwhile, he was telling me that he had to check in with the main post office branch in our area to get answers. Eventually, he told me that there was no deal.
However, during this time, I saw a recent episode of Shark Tank, where the dudes at Foot Cardigan said that could ship their socks globally for $3. So I contacted them to see who they used, and eventually, found out that they use Asendia.
After speaking with Asendia, it looks like they will be able to help me out at a significant savings (about 30-40%, which is several thousand dollars). Fortunately, they integrate with SS (they partnered earlier this year), but it won't happen until the 26th. The packages will still be trackable, and will take about 4-10 days for delivery.
Once my SS account syncs up with Asendia, I will be able to print all the labels, and pack all the global orders to be ready for a truck to pick them up on Nov 2nd. They will be taken to Philadelphia to be processed, and then trucked to fly out of JFK in NYC that week. So instead of slowing rolling out and shipping all global orders over the next couple of weeks, they will all go out at once. I am really sorry about this delay, but I hope you can understand my wish to recoup some costs.
Hoping to be all done by Halloween, where I may hand out dice instead of candy,