All Original Art HALF OFF!!!
It's the last day of the campaign, so let's finish strong! If we can reach the $8k stretch goal, it unlocks a special G-Man/MON crossover story co-created with Chris Giarrusso! I think we can all agree that would be awesome, and to make sure it happens, I'm slashing the price IN HALF for all remaining pieces of original art.
Oh, and check out THIS insanely detailed work-in-progress of the Ninja Look & Find by Gabriel (Will Eisner's The Spirit) Bautista...
Custom action figure maker and Mail Order Ninja superfan Doug Brown is doing his part to bring ninja back... to the toy shelf! He's crafted a quintet of custom-made Jiro Yoshida figures complete with weapons and packaging.
And that was just the warm-up... He's also giving five lucky fans the chance to BECOME mail order ninjas with customized figures based on their own likeness! Prepare for awesomeness... for it is forthcoming!
We may have passed our goal, but this campaign is far from over! Today we're rolling out another batch of amazing original Mail Order Ninja art by Jeffrey (Darth Vader and Son) Brown, Martheus and Janet (Jetta: Tales of the Toshigawa) Wade, Soo (Dim Sum Warriors) Lee, Christopher (Battlestar Galactica) Schons and Janet (Return of the Dapper Men) Lee!
We Did It! New Stretch Goals Unlocked!
We just broke the $6k barrier thanks to a young man buying his best friend a very ninja birthday present. How awesome is that?
Pretty Darn Awesome. But Now What?
Now Mail Order Ninja will be reprinted in premium digital format and as a deluxe, extremely limited-edition hardcover. The series will then be relaunched and serialized online with all-new stories by some of the most amazing talents in comicdom.
Yeah, But What About the Campaign?
Well, we still have three more days. That means more rewards, more stretch goals and, of course, more awesomeness:
New Stretch Goals
- $7k - Funds a NEW, digital chapter in the MON saga with art by Cef Grima. And all Kickstarter backers get it for FREE!
- $8K - Funds yet another NEW, digital chapter in the MON saga: a crossover with G-Man with Chris Giarrusso on art and co-writing duties! And all Kickstarter backers get it for FREE!
- $9k - Funds, you guessed it, a NEW digital chapter in the MON saga featuring art by Cef Grima. Oh, and all Kickstarter backers get it for FREE!
Limited Edition Hardcover - Now More Limited-er than Ever!
Rather than try to do a full print run of the hardcover, we're only printing enough copies to fulfill the orders on Kickstarter. The book will be available digitally on multiple platforms, but the print edition is now KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE!
Special Thank You's
All backers who pledge $25 or more will have their names added to a special "thank you" section in the print and digital editions of the book in recognition for your support and general awesomitude.
Let's do this thing!
The High Concept
Mail Order Ninja is the certified awesome* story of an ordinary little boy named Timothy J. McAllister living an ordinary little life in the ordinary little town of Cherry Creek, IN. But when Timmy orders his very own ninja from a mail order catalog (Arch-nemesis sold separately.), life in Cherry Creek will never be ordinary again!
*Certification provided by the American Awesomeness Association.
Created by Josh Elder (aka Yours Truly) and artist Erich Owen, Mail Order NInja is an award-winning graphic novel series first published by TOKYOPOP in 2005 and a nationally syndicated comic strip distributed by Universal Press Syndicate starting in 2007. Mail Order Ninja has effectively been on hiatus since 2008, but I never gave up on the series. I spent the last four years developing ninjarific new story content and recruiting a clan of talented artists (including Tim Smith 3, Dean Trippe, Cef Grima and Chris Giarrusso). Now we're ready to bring ninja back!
Check out the video up above for the full 411. Go ahead, I don't mind waiting.
Musical Interlude (Apologies to JT)
We’re bringing ninja back. (Hiyah!)
Got shinobi on a sneak attack. (Hiyah!)
They creep up on you while dressed all in black. (Hiyah!)
Cut you down before you can react. (Hiyah!)
(Take ‘em to the dojo!)
Get your ninja on!
(Shuriken, be throwin’ it.)
Get your ninja on!
(Dual blades, be wieldin’ it.)
Get your ninja on!
(Mad skillz, be bringin’ it.)
Get your ninja on!
Welcome back! Now that you've watched the video (You did watch it, right?), you know that we're bringing ninja back, but you don't know the half of it!
$6k - Minimum Threshold Goal
- We'll collect every Mail Order Ninja story EVER (256 pages worth!) into a deluxe (7.5"x11" in B&W with select portions in color), hardcover, complete with a new cover by original series artist Erich Owen!
- This includes the two graphic novels along with the short stories from Rising Stars and the Reading With Pictures Anthology.
- There will also be all-new pinups by top-flight artists like Jeffrey Brown, Janet Lee and Christopher Schons!
- The hardcover's first - and ONLY - printing will be limited to just 500 signed and numbered copies!
- The enhanced digital edition will come crammed with extras like creator commentaries, character bios and concept art!
- And this is the big one... We'll also be producing a BRAND NEW Mail Order Ninja short story - "Showdown at the Shinobi Con!" - with art by Tim Smith III (Sonic X, Hardy Boys) that will be available FOR FREE on all digital platforms to ALL BACKERS!
$7k and Beyond - Stretch Goals
- Every $1k we earn beyond our minimum goal will pay to produce an ALL NEW chapter in the Mail Order Ninja saga in full color to be released on premium digital platforms like ComicsPlus!
- I’ll be partnering with veteran video game artist and designer Cef Grima (Avengers Initiative, Guilty Party) along with guest artists like Chris Giarrusso (Mini-Marvels), Dean Trippe (Power Lunch) and Gabriel Bautista (Will Eisner’s The Spirit)to bring you more action and comedy than you can shake a bo staff at!
- You’ll cheer as Jiro thwarts a communist revolution at the North Pole in “How the Ninja Saved Christmas”! You’ll shudder as the evil Nobunaga returns from the dead as a ghost, zombie and/or cyborg (we haven’t decided which yet) in “Ninjaz ‘N the Hood”! You’ll gasp as the Federal Trade Commission orders a nationwide ninja recall in “Mr. Yoshida Goes to Washington”!
- But the best part is that ALL BACKERS at EVERY LEVEL will get ALL THE FUNDED CHAPTERS for FREE! Supporting Mail Order Ninja is the gift that keeps on giving - to you!
Thanks for taking the time to check out the campaign. I certainly hope that you like what you've seen!
Feel free to contact me directly with any questions and to follow me on Twitter for updates, new rewards and general awesomeness. And if you are a backer, please share that fact with all your friends and followers on social media. Every "like" helps and every tweet matters!
Together we're gonna bring ninja back!
The Shinobi Sampler
A few Mail Order Ninja sample pages to whet your appetite...
Risks and challenges
There's an extremely short window between the conclusion of the crowdfunding campaign and the December ship date for the books and t-shirts. So while I'm hoping to have them in your mailboxes by Christmas morn, I can't guarantee it.
Also, we've had trouble locating the original files for the comic strips, so they most likely won't be in the book. But we won't give up the search! And should they be found, they'll be included in the final product at no extra charge.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
The digital edition will be available through ComicsPlus and other premium digital outlets, but the print edition is a limited edition available ONLY on Kickstarter.
I want to purchase two different rewards, but Kickstarter is only allowing me to select one. How can I get my mitts on both?
Kickstarter only allows backers to pledge once to one specific reward tier only, BUT there are options:
1) You can create another Kickstarter account, which can use the same Amazon account/credit card information as your first account.
2) To customize your pledge to include multiple reward tiers (or multiple pledges to the same reward tier), Kickstarter also allows you to contact us directly and ask if you can increase your pledge to customize your own pledge. Use the "contact me" link under our creator name in the bio section (under the "Back This Project" section), and let us know in which unique combination of reward tiers you're interested. Be sure to ask us first before increasing your pledge, as (even if our homepage claims that there are rewards still available), five other email requests could reach us before yours. After we check the stock, we'll email you back and confirm if we can fulfill your request. If we can, all you need to do is simply increase your pledge amount and notify us when your new pledge has been approved. We'll then log the details of your customized pledge in our records, and if you've requested any reward(s) in limited supply, we'll immediately change the number of rewards available to reflect your updated pledge.
Support this project
- (19 days)