Forty free classes in six hours, taught and organized by local residents. Sunday, March 2nd at the Somerville Armory. Read more
This project was successfully funded on February 27, 2014.
About this project
From 12 to 6 pm, the Armory will host nearly 40 free classes from 40 teachers in seven unique classroom spaces, on topics like basic bicycle maintenance, salsa dancing, and stock investing. Attendees can drop in and out during the day and take as many classes as they would like, and enjoy some free stuff from our local sponsors (Flatbread, Taza Chocolate, Slumbrew, and Q's Nuts).
It’s a way to learn new skills, jump-start new hobbies, and meet other people with similar interests, all in a fun and informal setting. And best of all, it’s completely free!
Why did we organize Somerville Skillshare?
We are all teachers. We are all students. Drawing inspiration from Skillshares that have happened in other cities (such as Brooklyn and Boston), we seek to create a communal, hands-on, learning experience that serves as a jumping-off point in the construction of an autonomous, nonexclusive, reciprocal learning community right here in Somerville.
We also want to empower local residents–artists, artisans, professionals, hobbyists, small business owners–with a highly visible platform that allows them to showcase their unique talents to a broad community of learners. To see what what we're all about, read some of the Teacher Q&As we've conducted over the past few months or check out this recent article in Somerville Beat.
Why we need your help!
We want to keep this event completely free. But to do so, we need help covering a few important expenses. These include:
- Daylong rental fee for the Armory, including seven classroom spaces and the cafe
- Materials for our teachers' classes, including paper, thread, needles, wool, food, duct tape, beads, poster board, and paint
- Printing costs for posters, brochures, and fliers
If we exceed our fundraising goal, we can plan even more free educational opportunities in Somerville in the future, such as a workshop series or another free Skillshare.
Who are we?
Somerville Skillshare's organizers include a young professional working in Boston's cleantech industry, the Director of a spoken word organization, a two-time Iraq War Veteran with an interest in film, a local artist, a professional blogger and social media marketer, a researcher at Brigham & Women's Hospital, a published novelist, a graphic design hobbyist, a climate change activist, and a professional programmer. We are residents of Somerville and the surrounding communities who value the diversity of this city and the creativity of its residents.
Thank you for anything you can do to support Somerville's learning community and help us make this event a reality. We hope to see you at the Somerville Armory on March 2nd!
John, Danielle, Courtney, Spencer, Paula, Melissa, Sarah, Isaac, Camille, and K.Adam.
Class list 2/11/13
- Origami 101
- Intro to Creative Writing
- Pickling and Canning
- Basic Silkscreen Printing
- Indoor Gardening
- Stylize Your Space: Techniques for Modernizing Wooden Furniture
- Link Stitch Bookbinding
- Brew Like a Barrista
- Business Tips for Artists and Crafters
- Felted Orbs
- Investing and Stock Market Principles
- Intro to Parkour
- From Farm to Table
- Online Tools for Community Organizers
- Intro to Salsa Dancing
- Intro to Songwiting
- Digital Djing
- Intro to Yoga
- Home Composting
- Chatting Wine with Spoke Wine Bar
- Creative Photography
- Urban Beekeeping
- Beaded Jewelry Making
- Taking Better Pictures With Any Camera
- Imaginary Mapmaking
- Basic Bicycle Maintenance
- Intro to Contact Staff
- Making Physical Things With Computers
- Make Your Own Tofu
- Tai Chi
- Don't Just Make Art, Make Something
- Tenant Rights and Responsibilities
- Yarn Mandalas
- How to Start a Worker-Owned Co-op
- Duct Tape Sculptures
- CPR and First Aid
- Mobilize! Give Your Body a Tune-up
Risks and challenges
We are all volunteers with day jobs. Continuing to find enough time to manage this project, especially as it grows in scope, continues to be the biggest challenge. But we're continually motivated by the incredible support and encouragement we keep receiving. That, and the awesome Skillshare after party we're going to throw for our teachers and supporters when the event is over!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $1 or more
One of the Skillshare organizers will give you a big high five at the event on March 2nd!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
High five + your name listed as a donor on the website and brochureEstimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
High five + your name listed as a donor + handwritten thank you note from the Skillshare organizersEstimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $50 or more
High five + your name listed as a donor + handwritten thank you note from the Skillshare organizers + official Skillshare poster signed by all the organizersEstimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $100 or more
4 backers Limited (9 left of 13)
High five + your name listed as a donor + handwritten thank you note from the Skillshare organizers + official Skillshare poster signed by all the organizers + personal invitation to the post-Skillshare thank you dinner with the organizers and teachersEstimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
Pledge $125 or more
1 backer Limited (6 left of 7)
High five + your name listed as a donor + handwritten thank you note from the Skillshare organizers + official Skillshare poster signed by all the organizers + personal invitation to the post-Skillshare thank you dinner with the organizers and teachers + your choice of one of the following:
- private Salsa lesson with Sam Newland, our Intro to Salsa Teacher (quantity: 1) - private Parkour Lesson with Blake Evitt, our Intro to Parkour Teacher (quantity: 1) - 60 minute creative writing consultation with Camille DeAngelis, our Intro to Creative Writing Teacher (quantity: 1) - Signed copy of Miranda Aisling's book, Don't Make Art, Just Make Something (quantity: 1) - Signed Somerville Skillshare Silkscreen Print by Liz Corkery, our Silkscreen Printing teacher (quantity: 3)Estimated delivery:Only ships to: United States
- (16 days)