OUR STRETCH GOAL for MORE MUSIC!
Now that we've met our bare bones funding goal for production & post-production expenses (shooting, color correction, sound mix), we have a $2,000 stretch goal to: expand the diversity of regions I film in; produce a website with samples from each song chapter; and best of all—add a seventh original Bonfire Madigan Shive vocal-cello composition to the final film!!!
Check out this interview with Madigan & myself. All that we passionately aspire to create with this project is lovingly articulated here: http://www.theicarusproject.net/article/whisper-rapture
Thanks to each and every one of you, we will bring this music and social justice film to the doorstep of your heart. Mad love and love madly...Madigan & Ken
WHISPER RAPTURE: A BONFIRE MADIGAN SUITE is a 26-minute symphony of song and cinema featuring six original compositions by cellist and composer, Madigan Shive, four of them brand new and unreleased. The title refers to Madigan’s childhood fantasy companion, Whisper, who she used to talk to through a doorknob-smashed hole in her bedroom wall. Her conversations with Whisper paved the way for her visionary songs of rapture and rage, now poetically visualized with luminous imagery by award-winning filmmaker Ken Paul Rosenthal.
Where traditional concert films feature musicians in performance, Whisper Rapture will present the music itself as the main character.
Madigan’s unique blend of avant-garde pop and punk-influenced chamber music will be embodied through a kaleidoscopic collection of newly recorded images from natural and urban environments; clips re-cycled from 1950's-era educational and social hygiene films; and intimate close-ups of Madigan’s dramatic performance style. This orchestra of visual material will be conducted by the lens of the cinematographer and the hand of the editor in note-by-note harmony with the tone, tempo, and texture of Madigan’s uniquely expressive compositions. The entire symphony of images will perform the music.
Whisper Rapture will also have a significant social justice focus. Each song will be presented as a chapter, interspersed with Madigan’s autobiographical readings on madness, art, and mental health activism. Drawn directly from her contribution to the groundbreaking anthology, Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction, her story of trauma and transformation is the narrative core from which the music will emerge.
Rendered in color, black & white, live action, and time-lapse photography, the visual style will situate the music and the viewer in a broad field of phenomena that shape our collective imaginations: sun-infused raindrops—Madigan’s fingers scaling a cello fret board—inky shadows climbing buildings in fast motion—quivering weeds in a cracked sidewalk—a baby’s lips suckling a breast—shafts of sunlight slipping through redwoods—a mid-western storm twister—the tip of Madigan’s cello bow thrusting towards the camera—a sea of fireflies swimming in darkness……we hope you're getting the picture!
We are creating an emotionally immersive piece of cinema that will reconnect you to your body and our broader communities. You will feel that all things are delicately interconnected; that we don’t just exist in the world…we are of it. This cinematic rhapsody will touch your soul as only inspired art can do.
We are committed to alleviating human suffering by cultivating beauty. We believe there is a lot more poetry than terror in the world today and that our responsibility as creative visionaries is to produce work that is authentic, ecstatic, and transcendent. Whisper Rapture: A Bonfire Madigan Suite celebrates the potential of our human spirit. Let’s launch this weapon of mass construction together.
MADIGAN SHIVE is a virtuoso musician, composer, and performer whose trailblazing music is “built on the soul of the blues, the riot of punk, the playfulness of burlesque, and the sophistication of the orchestra pit.” She has been referred to as the “bastard child of Bjork and Tom Waits,” the “Bruce Springsteen of chamber punk,” and has collaborated with numerous influential musicians such as: Cat Power, Elliott Smith, and Jolie Holland. Madigan is a contributing author to the anthology, Live Through This: On Creativity and Self-Destruction, and a founding collective member of The Icarus Project, a progressive, peer led mental health community and support network.
An electrifying, one-woman heavenly choir. – San Francisco Chronicle
Equal parts feminist polemics, civil disobedience, and raw poetic power…and she plays a mean cello, too. – Village Voice
She can build a skyscraper of sound with a full-bodied fortissimo and then knock it into dust in one breath. – Gabe Meline, Bohemian.com
KEN PAUL ROSENTHAL is a cinema artist and activist whose recent work weaves personal and societal narratives on madness through natural and urban landscapes, home movies, and archival footage from 1950’s-era social hygiene films. Emotionally intelligent and visually sensual, his films are ‘illuminated texts’ that touch the mind through the heart. Ken’s recently completed trilogy of poetic mental health films, Mad Dance, has collectively won sixteen awards, screened in forty-five film festivals, and been presented at dozens of peer support networks, universities, mental health symposia and community events worldwide. Incorporating the music of Zoe Keating, Monteith McCollum, and Bonfire Madigan Shive, these films have been reviewed as:
That rare cinematic feat that combines ineffably compelling artistry, poetics and visual beauty with compassion, daring, and heartfelt purpose. - Alan Berliner, filmmaker, First Cousin Once Removed
Enthralling, sophisticated, and deeply moving. - Sam Green, Oscar-nominated filmmaker, The Weather Underground
Mesmerizing works of art with the transformative powers of a great poem. - Robert Whitaker, author, Mad in America
- Production - Video camera and accessories, image acquisition
- Post-Production - Editing, color correction, sound mixing
- DVD - Authoring and Duplication
In order for all of your donations to be released to this project, we must reach our $10,000 Kickstarter pledge goal.
STOKE OUR CINEMATIC BONFIRE BY DONATING TODAY!!!
AND HELP US GO VIRAL RIGHT NOW BY SHARING OUR
KICKSTARTER LINK ON FACEBOOK & TWITTER
With love & luminosity...Madigan and Ken
*Shipping fees are included worldwide!
DVD, CD, EP, BOOK:
- Whisper Rapture: A Bonfire Madigan Suite DVD - THE COMPLETED FILM!
- Mad Dance Mental Health Film Trilogy DVD by Ken Paul Rosenthal *3 Award-winning, Internationally acclaimed films on 1 DVD! www.maddancementalhealthfilmtrilogy.com
- I Bleed: A Decade of Song CD by Bonfire Madigan Shive
- Lady Saves Limited Edition Clear Vinyl EP by Bonfire Madigan Shive—Signed and Numbered!
- Live Through This: On Creativity & Self-Destruction book—Madigan’s chapter autographed!
FIRST EDITION PRINTS:
- 14" x 11" Print of Madigan's unrecorded song lyrics for Auld Langxiety on an Original Illustration by artist Sarah Quinter
- 18” x 24” Whisper Rapture Movie Poster created by artist Sarah Quinter, signed by Ken & Madigan
- 1-Month Digital Stream of 2 Films; Crooked Beauty and In Light, In! by Ken Paul Rosenthal www.maddancementalhealthfilmtrilogy.com
- Pre-Release Digital Download of the song, Sudden Chill from Bonfire Madigan Shive's new, in-progress CD
- Computer Screen Wallpaper Image by artist Sarah Quinter
JOIN OUR CINEMATIC SYMPHONY:
- Private or community movie-music concert experience with Madigan and Ken in your home, backyard, school, performance venue—anywhere in North America—all expenses included! Films will include Whisper Rapture AND your selections from the Mad Dance Trilogy AND your favorite Bonfire Madigan Shive music (*audio & projection eq must be provided on location)
- Original, 2 to 3 minute Bonfire Madigan Shive instrumental composed just for you, inspired by any piece of writing or ideas of your own choosing (copy write retained by Madigan)
- Your name in the ‘Thank you’ credits on the Whisper Rapture DVD and on the official Whisper Rapture website
Risks and challenges
As professionally accomplished artists who work independently from the commercial music & film industry, we understand and respect that the creative process takes time. Madigan has finished recording all 6 songs, and I will do my best to complete this film by June 2015. Should it take longer, it is because I am consciously doing my best to produce the most beautiful piece of cinema art I've made to date.
All donor gifts will be shipped by June 1, 2014, except for...
- Whisper Rapture DVD - June 2015
- Original Bonfire Madigan Shive Cello Composition - TBD w/donor
- Live Movie-Music Concert - TBD w/donor
- (31 days)