*** Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing platform that only gets the ball rolling if funding is met. Any pledges made are not collected until funding is successful on September 23rd at 6:30pm PDT. ***
Great question! Originating in Japan, a cat café is a small coffee shop or lounge where cat lovers, enthusiasts, and admirers pay a small fee for a session in the lounge that includes a beverage while you get to play with kittens and cats. In Japan, it's difficult to find places to live that allow live-in companion animals. Enter the solution to this terrible problem: cat cafés!
Although it's more common to have household felines in the United States, establishments are starting to appear in larger metropolitan areas, for quite a few reasons!
The cat cafés and lounges do several things - they save lives and enrich others. They provide homes for healthy, adoptable kitties that would have otherwise been overlooked at a local pound or shelter because they were uncomfortable. They provide a different and stimulating environment in which to relax and enjoy the company of cats. They relieve resources from local animal rescues in California, where it is kitten season all year, and rescue groups can have up to 900 residents or more at a time!
The best part of all is that patrons can adopt these cute little furballs. Inside the lounge, every day is Caturday!
- Adoptable cats from the lounge will be attached to local rescues or shelters, freeing up resources to save more furry lives!
- Caturday Lounge will continuously bring cats into a less stressful environment where they are more likely to showcase their true, loving personalities - significantly increasing their chances of being adopted into a compatible home, while being socialized daily!
- The lounge is also a great space for those who are curious about cats to see how unique, fun, and loving they really are! Meow!
- All net-proceeds are allocated to cat care and maintenance of the facility, making sure each and every cat resident has proper medical care and are ready for their forever homes! Caturday Café & Lounge will be a non-profit LLC.
1) Reservations are booked in advance online via the Caturday website. Walk-ins are subject to lounge availability.
2) Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled appointment time, pay your entry fee, enjoy your complimentary beverage of choice with all the kitties!
3) On the hour, you will be guided into the cat lounge with your group (up to 15 others so cats are not overwhelmed), and are free to grab a seat and enjoy! Cat toys and structures are provided in the lounge for maximum enjoyment and playtime!
4) ...and, yes, unfortunately after session is over, you will be guided outside of the cat lounge back into the serving area where you can continue to admire them. You can also get super great high-fives from any of us, if you ask!
Caturday will in the future add special bookings and event nights to the repertoire that will be available for reservations – similar, and including but not limited to:
- Movie Night: snuggle up to the resident kitties and snack on popcorn while watching a film!
- Game Night: let our furry friends sit in the boxes while you play board and card games! Bonus points if a cat flops all over your game!
- Kitten Bottle-Feeding: In California, it's kitten season all year! Learn and practice how to feed bottle babies! It's almost too much cute to handle.
- Youth Reading Program: Specific sessions for young children to be able to read to the kitty cats!
- Yes, there will be Cat Yoga.
- and more!
Caturday Lounge will also host large groups, book clubs, etc., subject to availability.
Paper goods and supplies required to operate the facility and lounge will be recyclable and eco-friendly - We're trying to make the world a better place and reduce our footprint!
Staying consistent with our ideologies, Caturday Café & Lounge will be a plant-based establishment to further help us with our conservation efforts and ensure we can welcome all human guests including those with allergies and dietary restrictions.
Every year, roughly 3.4 million cats and kittens find their way into shelters across the country, where most live out their entire lives or are euthanized due to unavailable space and resources, if they are not adopted.
Remember, kitties that are relaxed and not confined to kennels are more likely to show you their true personalities and how much they like you for coming in to play with them!
Because of this movement, more cats are finding compatible, forever homes with awesome humans like you! We are saving the lives of these mini house panthers!
By placing any pledge, you are helping the lives of humans and cats all around Orange County!
The success of this project will have a prolonged effect on the animal-loving community and those with empathy for sheltered animals.
Caturday is planning to use exposure from the establishment to host seminars and gatherings for those with knowledge to share on the importance of fostering kittens, as well as TNR (trap-neuter-return) programs, plus what others can do to help the community, even if they do not want to adopt a cat directly (or most likely have already reached their limit like me; don't tell my landlord)!
Risks and challenges
Still being within the process of securing an actual storefront space is challenging because then we're essentially asking you to rely on us as individuals to bring this vision to life.
What can be said is that the funding is by far the biggest obstacle for setting the foundation for the success of Caturday.
Any obstacles encountered will be met with great perseverance with our resources and support.
Questions and business inquiries can be emailed to CaturdayLounge@gmail.comLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (51 days)