In the past year, Balagan has put on 17 events and shown a total of 57 films. We've premiered a number of new works by local filmmakers and brought well-established artists to the Boston area for the first time.
And whether presenting works in unusual settings...
... or giving a venue to performance-based films artists like Bruce McClure or Boston's own Architecture of the Sun, we've continued to seek news ways to expand upon and transcend the standard viewing experience.
A few things to remember when you consider helping us out --
- we, the curators, work for free
- we pay the filmmakers we screen
- we share ticket proceeds with our venues (i.e. the lovely Brattle Theatre)
- each show usually costs us more than we can make in ticket proceeds
- shipping of 16mm and 35mm prints is incredibly expensive... but important!!
- experimental cinema everywhere needs our love and support to continue to thrive!
Please join our effort -- and spread the word!
Some images of the rewards -
Risks and challenges
Every program is unique and comes with its own costs and challenges. This year, we are determined to bring archival 35mm prints from Europe to the Brattle screen and to fly foreign filmmakers to Boston to present their films. These projects depend on whether we can find the necessary funding and support, not just via Kickstarter, but also through grantmaking organizations and foreign embassies and cultural centers. But we always have a few programs up our sleeves in case something doesn't work out!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)