Hipster Playing Cards. Printed by USPC
Hipster Playing Cards. Printed by USPC
A completely custom illustrated deck of playing cards. Designed with a Hipster theme in mind. Each card comes with a Hipster Quote.
A completely custom illustrated deck of playing cards. Designed with a Hipster theme in mind. Each card comes with a Hipster Quote. Read more
My name is Jody and I am a Freelance Illustrator from Colorado. About 4 months ago, my wife and I, with our two kid moved in with my in-laws to start up my own Freelance Design company called Fluent, Inc. Since then, I've been looking for a great personal project.
The Hipster Playing Cards -Limited Edition
Will only be printed for Kickstarter Backers and will come with Hipster Quotes.
NEW! The Hipster Bicycle Playing Cards-Bicycle Edition
Will be printed unlimited and will not come with Hipster Quotes.
Where did the Hipster Deck come from?
The evolution of the Hipster deck was really a family process. As I mentioned in the video I was directed to Kickstarter I wanted to find a great project that would give me the chance to design something different than the usual products and logos I work on. My wife has a pretty good feel for things that are creative/new and came up with the idea to design a deck about hipsters. (My Three year old approved and showed her support by running around the house wearing plaid, and thick 3D glasses with the lenses knocked out.)
At first the deck was about the strong visuals that come to mind with hipsters; Buddy Holly rimmed glasses, epic mustaches, flannel shirts, bicycles… but the deck didn’t really come together until I thought about adding quotes to each card. It was the quotes that solidify the project in my mind as they helped capture the spirit of irony, wit, and deep thinking that typify the hipster culture.
As I spent time researching the look and feel of hipsters on Tumblr and Pinterest I found that there are different segments within the hipster trend, some that are apathetic and a tad angsty, but there is a good chunk of hipsters that really want to engage our world and it’s woes to make a mark. It’s the latter group that I hope to immortalize in this deck. The can do-ers that have a healthy sense of who they are and the humor in their own contradictions.
When it comes down to it this deck was just fun to put together. I spent a lot of time laughing and seeing the delightful, and sometimes not so subtle, influences that hipsters have on all areas of pop culture. I hope that this deck will bring people together to not only play all types of games, but will get them talking and enjoying a deeper level of being together. (And by the way, my wife asked to waive her royalties in exchange for a LARGE Starbucks gift card… yep, we’re going to need a lot of backing to fund that one - so thanks in advance!)
The Hipster Playing Cards - Limited Edition Artwork
The Hipster Playing Cards - Bicycle Edition Artwork
My goal is to deliver the best possible deck of playing cards to my backers. In this whole process, I hope to gain your support for this project and also help bring awareness to my freelance design business, Fluent, Inc.
These decks will be premium quality.
- All of the cards are individually researched and custom illustrated.
- The tuck cases will be printed on the highest quality card stock.
- The decks will be printed by the United States Playing Card Company.
- Once funded I will begin the process of getting the files approved by the U.S. Playing Card Company in order to get the cards sent to be printed. (I have already received approval from the USPCC to launch the project on Kickstarter.)
- Once the files are approved for production, the printing process and shipping takes anywhere from 6-8 weeks.
- When I receive the shipment of your decks, I will begin the process of sorting and packaging each reward for shipping.
- Shipment goes out to my favorite people, my backers.
I will keep everyone updated as things progress and answer all questions and comments as I receive them.
- Extra Deck (Limited Edition) - add $10 US / $13 International (for any reward above the $10 Reward)
- Extra Deck (Bicycle Edition) - add $10 US / $13 International (for any reward above the $10 Reward)
- 16" x 24" Poster - $25 US backers / $30 International backers (High quality photo poster stock. UV and fade resistant)
- The Hipster T-Shirts - $25 US Backers / $30 International Backers (Screen Printed on a dark grey Colored T-shirt-100% cotton)
I have planned some exclusive features and exciting rewards for every funding benchmark we achieve.
- Reaching $18K - The deck is funded and released (my wife gets her $25 gift cards to Starbucks)
- Reaching $25K - The Tuck box will be printed using Silver Metallic Ink (my wife gets another $5 added to her Starbucks card)
- Reaching $40K - A custom seal will be added to the tuck box (my wife gets another $5 added to her Starbucks card)
- Reaching $60K - The backs of the cards will be printed using Silver Metallic Ink (my wife gets another $5 added to her Starbucks card)
Risks and challenges
I am working hard to make sure the artwork on these decks are the highest quality. This has been such a pleasure to create and I look forward to getting these into your hands. I have 12 years of experience in design, manufacturing and shipping, so I know there are challenges with each phase of the process. The cards will be printed by the United States Playing Card Company and the packaging and shipment will be completed by me.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)