For media inquires, please send to Info@bloomsky.com. Help us to spread the word. Download Press Kit here.
UPDATE 7/22 Stretch Goal Reached - Vote for Wind Sensor.
Check out update#7 and vote for wind sensor feature. We need to hear you.
UPDATE 7/11 BloomSky App Feature Preview
Don't forget to check out updated FAQs on update #6.
UPDATE (7/8) DIY battery replacement and more..
DIY battery replacement: as many backers requested for DIY battery replacement feature, we now finalized the design allowing battery change with simple tool.
We now offer premium battery option! Upgrade battery supports lower temperature and longer lifespan. (extra $20)
Smart Homes Integration: BloomSky now supports open-source cloud for those who need data hosting. This opens doors to connect with smart home platforms like IFTTT and SmartThings, etc.
Stretch Goal: $100,000 target: develop and release wind sensor in early 2016! $10 credit offer to KS backers that can be used in future purchase towards wind sensor. Show your support and help us hit higher target!
UPDATE(7/2) Mounting kit now available as an add-on item!
We finally have one kit that supports all your mounting needs - on the wall, roof and railing. If you would like to add one to the rewards you already pledged, just simply add $9. If you pledged for "everything" or "twin pack" rewards, we will include one mounting kit in your reward with no extra cost.
Specs and instruction video please scroll down.
We currently have 5 working prototypes in San Francisco Bay Area, California. We are very excited to show you some footage taken by BloomSky HD camera. We are confident You will love your BloomSky for its stunning picture and time-lapse video at your location.
Below showing time-lapse video was generated from footage taken at our tester locations, in San Francisco bay area, California.
More footage please subscribe to our youtube channel.
Mounting on Railing, Wall, and Roof
BloomSky Wireless Outdoor Module
- WiFi-connected to BloomSky Cloud.
- Water, dust, UV-resistant body.
- 5-in-1 sensors measure temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, UV exposure, and precipitation with excellent accuracy.
- Ultra-wide angle HD camera built-in with 45-degree adjustable shooting angle.
- Smart photometric sensor measures daylight brightness and ensures correct exposure. Smart camera turns on at dawn and off at dusk.
- Smart rain sensor distinguishes precipitation from other moisture and responses instantly when rain starts to fall.
- Powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Chargeable Option 1: through A/C Input: 100-220V(worldwide use), operating time up to 20 days per charge. Chargeable Option 2: through solar panel.
- Low battery alert sends push notifications on mobile apps.
- Wireless, no wires to run. Easy to stand upright on stake apparatus for insertion in patio and garden.
- One-year limited warranty. (extended one-year warranty for Kickstarter backers)
- Operating temperature range: -13°F (-25°C) to 149°F (65°C) (± 0.72°F (0.4°C) accuracy)
- Battery charging temperature range: 32°F (0°C) to 113°F (45°C)
- Temperature Resolution: 1°F
- Humidity Resolution: 1%
- Humidity Range: 1% to 99% RH (± 5% accuracy)
- UV exposure range: 280nm - 400nm (UV-A,UV-B)
- Barometric pressure Resolution: 1hPa
- Rain sensor minimum detectable threshold: 1mm/1hr
premium battery option (add $20)
- Rechargeable Lithium polymer battery.
- Operating temperature range: -40°F (-40°C) to 149°F (65°C)
- Charging temperature range: -4°F (-20°C) to 149°F (65°C)
BloomSky Indoor Module (Not sold separately)
- WiFi-connected to BloomSky Cloud
Built-in temperature and humidity sensor with excellent accuracy.
- Temperature display outdoor and indoor.
- F° /C° temperature unit switchable.
- Powered by A/C
- Desktop placing
- Temperature Range: ·-13°F (-25°C) to 149°F (65°C) (± 0.72°F (0.4°C) accuracy)
- Humidity Range: 10% to 99%
- Environmental friendly and rechargeable under the sun.
- Designed exclusively for BloomSky outdoor module.
- Product Dimensions: 7.8”x11”x0.8”
Solar Panel (Not sold separately)
- Product Dimensions: 16” (41cm)
Stake (Not sold separately)
Mounting kit (+$9 as add-on item)
- Material: 0.05 in. (1.2mm) thickness stainless steel
- High mechanical load-bearing capacity designed for BloomSky outdoor module with solar panel attachment.
- includes interlocking bolts and washers
- Easy to align mounting rails. Width adjustable within range: 2-4.3in. (5-11cm)
- limited 1 year warranty (extended one-year warranty for Kickstarter backers)
- Remotely access data collected from BloomSky outdoor and indoor module through iOS and Android.
- Display temperature, humidity indoor and outdoor, barometric pressure and UV exposure outdoor with a snapshot of the sky.
- Display snapshot taken by the BloomSky camera, which automatically updates every 3-5 minutes.
- Automatically creates time-lapse video after sunset.
- Push notification on precipitation, temperature sudden changes based on users’ preference.
- Easy to subscribe other BloomSky stations.
- Data and pictures saved on the cloud, daily and historical data.
- Languages: English.
- System requirement: iOS 7.0 and above, Android 4.0 and above.
Risks and challenges
We have long history of business relationship with most of our suppliers from other previous ventures, and they have already made commitments about volumes and lead time. But there is always a chance for unforeseeable issues that may cause delays in production. We will start preordering components as soon as the project is successful.
The diverse quantity of smartphones on the market also poses a challenge. Our team have strong experience building apps for both iOS and Android platform. If you have an iPhone 4S or later, or an Android device produced by a known manufacturer during 2011 or later, you will most likely have no issues using our app and hardware. We appreciate any feedback and will address these issues as soon as possible, as they come to our attention.
We will be using Amazon’s cloud service to host all the data. As of now, we are testing the stability of the cloud. We plan to use three months for debugging our server, starting from the launch of this project. Our team have previous experience working with cloud servers that host the data of millions of users, this process will ensure a better app experience with more stability.
Our team have many years of product development experience. We go through rigorous testing phases such as water and dust resistance test, drop test, temperature environment test, electrical performance test, and many others to ensure our project is the highest quality upon delivery. Our beta-test in San Francisco is also to help us ensure the stability of our weather network. Before we ship the orders, our engineers will be closely communicating and working with our suppliers to make sure production can take place on schedule. With the help of the of Kickstarter community, we can finish our project with the best possible quality.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes. Snow flakes develop somewhere above the freezing level where the air temperature is less than 32°F(0°C). BloomSky outdoor module operates within temperature range from -13 °F to 149 °F (-25 °C to 65 °C). The module with its 5 sensors has self-protection built in to withstand temperature beyond operating temperature range and recovers as the device warms up.
In addition to the current BloomSky outdoor module, our engineering team has already been looking into prototypes and production of the wind sensor. In our stretching goal of 100,000, we will be releasing wind monitoring sensor as accessory in early 2016.
Yes. We will be conducting our very first beta-test in August 2014 in San Francisco. Meanwhile, our engineering team is currently testing system compatibility with smart home integration (eg, smartthings, nest, homekits, etc). Open API will be available after the beta-test towards the end of the year.
BloomSky is inspired by a successful crowdsourcing platform for traffic called "waze" (which is quite popular in US). Likewise, BloomSky will not be a paid service. We are looking forward to creating and building our initial network via kickstarter community, in targeting to provide hyperlocal weather data that would eventually benefit everyone (including those who does not own a module). Your contribution is not only in helping us getting into mass production to low the overall retail price, but also becoming the earlybird reporter who provides reliable and real time weather data in your country, in your neighborhood. We are really grateful to have you becoming part of the network.
Forecast service will be available base on our data after 1 year of service. Prior that, we adopt public data.
Yes, F°/C° switchable on both indoor unit display and mobile app. Pressure unit switchable through mobile app settings.
Support this project
- (40 days)