It's hard to remember now when this idea first came to me. It was inspired, in part, by nights with my friends at Short Order Poems and a summer with the August Poetry Postcard Fest. The former gave me a chance to write a poem for a woman with cancer as a voice of comfort; the latter helped me share the grief of losing my grandmother as I sent my heart through the mailbox. In both cases, I knew that writing something that connects to another person is all I ever want to do.
Enter this project.
Join me, and you'll help build a community through the mail.
Funds raised will support
- Postcard materials and art supplies
- Postage and shipping costs/materials (all included in the pledges)
- Quality copies of books to share with you (Reward Tier 3)
- Website maintenance (domain costs and general upkeep)
- Post office box (ideally for a full year)
- Administrative costs and project management
- Development of future related projects (I will share updates as they solidify)
Learn more at pspoems.com, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
As a Kickstarter campaign, funding is all or nothing. If my goal ($520) is not met, I won’t receive anything and won’t be able to complete the project. You can help by sharing it with friends, family, or anyone who could use a little mail.
The reward tiers are broken down into these levels (*six levels as of Week 2!*):
P.S. Thank You = $2: Get a personal thank you poem on a postcard.
- P.S. Poem = $5: Commission a poem–-sent as a physical postcard to your mailbox! You can visit the blog for examples, but it will be a brand-new poem inspired by you. Check out prompts here.
- P.S. Mini-Subscription = $15: Get 1 poem/month for 4 months (starting in June). Commission them for yourself or for someone you love. You can continue to use my prompts or let the poems surprise you, but I will reach out each month to confirm what you’d like. Subscriptions will also get a special series of posts on the blog as they are written.
- P.S. Book(Mark) = $30: Get a commissioned poem inside a book. I'll include a personal letter about what the book has meant to me and a stamped return envelope in case you want to write back after you read it. Before choosing the book, I'll reach out to get a sense of what you'd most like to read.
- P.S. Pen Pals = $40: Let’s be (poem) pen pals! Commission a poem and keep the conversation going. I’ll keep writing back as long as you do. I will post a special series of these poems on the blog as they develop.
- 1 Year of P.S. Poems = $50: Get a 1-year subscription! Commission 1 poem/month for 12 months (starting in June). I will check in each month to confirm what you'd like to see---one of my prompts, poet's choice, or something else entirely. Subscriptions also get a special series of posts on the blog as they are written.
Risks and challenges
Since I've already researched or acquired many of the materials, the only challenge will be managing the time commitment for this project. However, I have limited the number of backers for more time-consuming rewards to prevent the workload from becoming overwhelming. Since poems have become a typical rhythm in my daily life, I do not anticipate having trouble producing however many poems may be commissioned. I'm the kind of person who's motivated by deadlines, so just organizing this project is a great incentive to keep me on track.
To encourage accountability throughout the process, I will also post regular updates here and on the blog (pspoems.com), including images of the poems after they are completed.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)