Press "Start" on 8 Bit Bakeshop
Press "Start" on 8 Bit Bakeshop
8 Bit Bakeshop is an "all inclusive" bakery that creates gaming, comic, and pop culture inspired treats with a gourmet twist.
8 Bit Bakeshop is an "all inclusive" bakery that creates gaming, comic, and pop culture inspired treats with a gourmet twist. Read more
Are you ready to play?
Long Island City's only geeky inspired bakeshop is getting ready to level up and we want you to join in on the adventure!
Haven't heard of us?
Well, HELLO THERE!
My name is Hannah.
My name is Matt.
We're 8 Bit Bakeshop, a New York based family run bakery creating small batch gourmet treats inspired by comic books, video games, and all around pop culture. Our mission is to unite generations of our geeky brethren with the one thing we know everyone can appreciate - sweets! Hand made, "nostalgia inducing" treats made with high quality ingredients sourced from local and small businesses is one of the many things we value in our kitchen.
Loading the game...
We started off in 2014 as a home bakery offering local delivery of our intricately decorated sugar cookies and select confectioneries to family and friends. When we realized our friends had been spreading the word, the demand became a bit too much for our tiny Queens kitchen. So, we filed our legal documents and walked into our new home at the Entrepreneur Space! Then the party really began.
We've grown a lot over the last two years thanks to loyal fans, our loving family, and the press opportunities from many magazines and television shows - most notably our cake for Good Morning America.
But, now it's time to cash in our XP and level up!
In two years, we've moved from small open markets and conventions to large scale events and have had the honor of unveiling our online shop this past January.
Our product line has grown from a variety of decorated sugar cookies and now includes cakes, cupcakes, and a long list of specialty items. All inspired by the geeky things we love.
"That's cool! How can I help?"
Here's an outline of just a few of our most important goals we wish to accomplish with your help:
- We want to provide an unmatched geeky experience in a safe, fun environment both NYC residents and our lovely tourists can truly enjoy. Opening one of our sweet shipments is awesome and we absolutely love meeting new people at our convention booths, but a brick and mortar will not only help us continue to make your experience better, it will make us so much easier to find!
- We want to do our part and give back to the community. Hiring NYC residents in need, those transitioning to a new life in NYC, and those adjusting to life after incarceration will always have an opportunity for an interview with us. By hiring and training folks with little to no experience or who's pasts may hinder their ability to obtain work, we will be doing our part to fix the top two employment rejection issues for many in our city.
- We want to debut "J.E.T. | S.E.T." . Our program, Juvenile Economics Training | Senior Economics Training, was influenced by the old Sega Dreamcast favorite "Jet Set Radio", a video game where the player controls the leader of a gang of rebellious teenagers who roller blade through the streets of Tokyo tagging up every spot they can while evading the authorities.
The idea behind J.E.T. | S.E.T is to offer a summer weekend economics program to troubled urban youth that focuses on the life and job skills no longer taught in schools. Simple tasks from how to bake and frost a cake to difficult tasks like preparing for an interview are just some of the topics we want to cover. The program would be free to anyone willing to join (space permitting) and those that graduate from our program are welcome back with open arms when it is time for college internships. Graduates of legal working age also have first priority during holiday hiring.
- We want to support local, small, and American businesses. We've already swapped out a ton of our big name ingredients in favor of those made by businesses like ours. Even our coffee will come from a fellow small business in Queens! But there is always room to grow. Your support helps us help other businesses.
- We want to remain "ALL INCLUSIVE". 8 Bit Bakeshop is and will always be a safe haven for ALL ages, races, religions, creeds, and genders, and sexual orientations. Our no judgement zone is open to all who need a fun break and a sweet treat. And to ensure that we can accommodate as many folks as we can, we created Little Luna.
Noms For All!
About a year into our start up phase, we were beginning to give up on our dream of sharing home baking memories with our daughter, Luna. Luna is our 5 year old daughter and one hell of a Type 1 diabetic WARRIOR! She was diagnosed before her first birthday and has been fighting the good fight since.
Birthdays, special occasions, and outings were always difficult for us. Imagine being a child who couldn't eat their own birthday cake! Now imagine being denied holding a birthday party at a venue because of your condition! We've been there! So, we refuse to deny anyone the opportunity to book an event at our store simply because of medical conditions.
After a lot of testing and researching, we finally developed treats that she'd not only enjoy but won't destroy the perfect string of blood glucose levels we worked so hard to get. With this, we are proud to introduce Little Luna.
Little Luna is a specialty line of pastries created with those battling food allergies and diabetes in mind. Our recipes are gluten, nut, and sugar free but not free of taste! We wish to expand this line to include other food allergies and those who have selective eating life styles (vegan, vegetarian, paleo, etc.) Your support can do that!
There are many more things we wish to do with our geeky powers. But to do that we need your support!
After a successful Kiva Zip campaign we were able to launch Little Luna, open our web store, and market our business to a larger range of people. The kind folks at the QEDC, Entrepreneur Space, and Pete's Basement have given us invaluable support and information. We've received tons of amazing press about our pastries and goals. Now, we've outgrown our current kitchen and need more space to make the world a happy place!
Did we mention we're cosplay friendly?
Known collectively as Dead Pixel, our small bakery team doubles as a cosplay group! We aim to use our masked identities and hand made costumes for the greater good. Like showing up to a child's party or hospital bed and making special deliveries as a beloved gaming, anime, or comic character.
We host a monthly cosplay contest showcasing the talents of tons of America's cosplayers. With 4 winners to be chosen every month, we create a special pastry inspired by their cosplay and feature it on our website. Check out the video our friend Penny from the awesome show Pete's Basement made of our first month! [[Video update: Our web store and website have merged! Access both at 8bitbakeshop.com !]]
Now let's check out those rewards!
So, go on... Press start and play the game with us! We could use a strong player like you!
Our stretch goals include adding arcade cabinets, a table top gaming area, and more! Are you up for the challenge?
Risks and challenges
An easy game has no challenges. A GOOD game is full of 'em! We don't expect this to be an easy ride but we're equipped with the right weapons to battle any foe!
One of our goals is to obtain permission to expand our "inspired" pastries into full blown replicas or derivatives that major gaming and comic companies would be proud to stand behind and promote. The hardest part of this is the contact and queue portion. Contacting the right folks in these industries is not as easy as sending an email. We hope to network enough and broadcast enough of our talents and catch their attentions.
Before distributing the rewards, we want to ensure that we have locked in a commercial space that will allow us to do all we intend to do with our business. This may delay some of the rewards (like the treats and drinks) but not all.
If anything else should be thrown our way, we will update promptly.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)