About this project
Build functional objects in engineering thermoplastics with material properties matching your applications. High-strength, flexible, rubbery, renewable or dissolvable parts can all be 3D printed with our universal extruder system. It can print FDA approved materials.
Two distinct models:
3FXtrud 20 Uno is a single extruder 3D printer built with features to make it user friendly for easy setup and reliable printing again and again in a multitude of materials.
3FXtrud 25 Duo is a dual extruder, true free-form fabrication 3D printer with advanced features to allow 3D printing in the largest variety of engineering thermoplastic materials. A tool for professionals wanting the most capability within one system.
As requested, a sample of high resolution pictures of a model 3D printed at various resolutions. I used the same 3D model and the same material. Below 0.1 mm layer height the wall is smooth.
3FXtrud 20 Uno and 25 Duo are the next generation of multi-material capable, high resolution, fast, safe, commercial grade and easy to use 3D printers for your rapid prototyping needs.
The true potential of 3D printing technology can be reached only by accessing a variety of materials with properties matching given applications. We have designed 3FXtrud Uno with the intent of creating a versatile and reliable platform, ready to print in a large number of engineering and renewable thermoplastics. Thus, hard, flexible, and soft (compressible) thermoplastics can all be printed by one machine.
True free-form fabrication (3F) can be achieved when any shape can be printed. Due to the layer by layer nature of the technology, single extruder machines cannot build well or some times at all certain shapes (think how printing in air, without support material, would NOT work). 3FXtrud Duo uses a dual extruder thus can print a large number of thermoplastics along with any two combinations of such materials. With 3FXtrud Duo you can print any 3D geometry with overhangs, bridges, internal spaces with internal objects, all possible by using dissolvable support materials. Also, it uses a full enclosure of the build volume which makes possible large prints without warping due to thermal stress.
3FXtrud is a family of high resolution, multi-material 3D printers with generous to large build volumes, a high temperature single/dual extruder and premium quality components. 3FXtrud 3D printers are designed for easy, reliable, fast, high quality, and high resolution 3D printing.
We designed them with advanced features that allow you to print in an ever expanding range of materials that come to the market. They are the evolutive result of five+ generations of 3D printers extensively tested with every single material that we support.
3FXtrud 20 Uno and 3FXtrud 25 Duo side by side specs
A few time lapse movies of 3D printing in different materials:
- High resolution ABS
- Composites: ABS with PLA support
- Composites: dual materials both flexible and strong
- high resolution and large HIPS 3D prints
- Renewable plastics - PLA
- Controlled environment allows printing of large parts: ABS with high infill
- High strength, high temperature polycarbonate
- Excellent thermoplastic flow control allows 3D printing in TPU (rubbery materials). No post processing required.
- Composites: ABS with HIPS
- PLA and HIPS (either 3D printed thermoplastic one can be dissolved without affecting the other)
All of our 3FXtrud printers come equipped with our universal high temperature all metal extruder so you can print in a large range of materials.
We have extensively tested the following materials: ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), Nylon blends, TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane), PC (polycarbonate), PC-ABS (polycarbonate ABS blends), HIPS (high impact polystyrene), PVA (Polyvinyl alcohol), PLA (polylactic acid), HIPS-ABS blends, PETG.
Fully featured free-form fabrication:
- a 5th generation all metal hot-end specially optimized for 3D printing a large variety of engineering, renewable, and food grade thermoplastics (ABS, Nylon, PC, PC-ABS, TPU, HIPS, PLA, PETG);
- toolless precision extruder with spring tensioning and tension indicator that's easily tuned for many different thermoplastics;
- heated bed for improved adhesion and preventing warping;
- a very flat, removable, high temperature glass build surface;
- fully enclosed build volume (3FXtrud 25 Duo) that is required for multi-material and large 3D prints; transparent sides, front door, and top panel allowing to see the intricacy of the print process; no enclosure for 3FXtrud 20 Uno.
- extruder mounted and adjustable fan that provides extra cooling of the build to speed up the 3D printing process;
- a rigid, anodized, all aerospace aluminum alloy frame, base plate and build platform structure providing a dimensionally stable platform for the 3-axis linear motion system;
- frame design that minimizes the length of the load bearing segments thus increasing rigidity for a given build volume;
- linear motion system uses high quality hardened steel rails with precision bearings for precise and long life operation;
- printing from a flash memory card or USB (wi-fi under development);
- high torque stepper motors with high current and 1/32 micro-stepping motor drivers for increased accuracy and low noise;
- additive manufacturing based on Fused Filament Deposition technology.
Comparison with other 3D printing products:
What is 3D printing and what are the advantages of using 3FXtrud 3D printers?
Shortly put, 3D printing is the additive manufacturing method of fabricating objects directly from a 3D CAD models. Most embodiments of this method require a selective deposition of materials in a layer by layer fashion until the object is fully created.
The quality of the resulting object depends on:
- the positional accuracy of the printing head with respect to the printing platform,
- the precision with which the material is deposited,
- the range of materials supported, which translates in the desired physical properties of the object printed,
- and ability to control the environment around the building platform to reduce thermal stresses in between the 3D printed layers of materials, therefor improving part's strength.
Our 3FXtrud printers use fused filament deposition technique to build objects from thermoplastic materials.
ShapingBits 3FXtrud printer set a new standard in positional accuracy, material deposition control, have the largest range of materials supported in a desktop printer, and provide thorough control of the printing environment.
Where do you get 3D files to print?
You can design your own with CAD software, some are free, like Google SketchUp, or you can download files from 3D files repositories.
Why are we here?
We need to kickstart manufacturing for our printers. We need funds for the initial procurements and that is where we need you, our backers, to bring this to fruition. We are rewarding your trust and patience with significant discount over the retail price, plus being the first to have these excellent bots.
Thank you for your support!
Meet our team:
Founder, CEO ShapingBits
PhD in Physics and Material Science, MS in Nuclear Engineering
I am a scientist and engineer with entrepreneurial drive. I am the founder and CEO of ShapingBits. I have designed and built high performance scientific instrumentation for more than a decade. My scientific interests had me involved in projects around the world, from nuclear physics in my very early years to nanotechnologies and material science in the last decade. I have been a tinkerer since I can remember and years of experience have taught me that quality and reliability is mandatory for any worthwhile design.
PhD in Economics
Risks and challenges
We have spent the better part of the last two years developing, testing, and having short run production of previous and this generation of 3D printers. Some of our previous printers are in use by makers and engineers in their homes, research labs, companies, and universities. These professionals and tinkerers provided us with excellent feedback which was used to improve and create 3FXtrud printers.
We are confident that this generation is ready for you since we've covered extensively every material we support.
We have already worked with suppliers for our previous generations and we have great relationships that will be put to use for this project.
We've been through short production runs of up to 20 printers within a short time-frame so we know we can handle a few times larger production.
Thank you for your support!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)