Nana Duck | An illustrated children's book
Nana Duck | An illustrated children's book
A light-hearted story about the important role that grandparents play and the funny things that kids say!
A light-hearted story about the important role that grandparents play and the funny things that kids say! Read more
About this project
The goal of this Kickstarter project is to raise enough money to print and market my first children's book, Nana Duck.
(Please note: The book will be published by Comma Books - this is me, I just wanted it to look/sound more professional when I am talking to potential customers such as bookshops.)
The story is written and the illustration is in progress by the wonderful Sarah Croker. Sarah has a gift business specialising in personalised portraits and cards with a regional theme. She illustrated an award winning children's book published in 2016 called Miles and Mia.
To learn in more detail about the project, my story and the progress to date, have a look at my blog on the Nana Duck website: www.nanaduck.com
This is a story about the relationship between a granddaughter and her grandparents. It is about how confusing being a young child can be and it is about the funny things that children say.
It is not intended to be overly educational or moralistic. Instead, it aims to make people smile, remind them a bit about their own grandparents, and give them a joke to share with the children they are reading the story with.
Is Nana all that she seems? You'll have to read the book to find out!
The book is set in and around The Potteries (Stoke-on-Trent, England) and this is important because the central pun of the story is based on people calling other people duck. That doesn't mean that you have to be from the area to enjoy it as a reader but it may have a particular appeal to those who live or have lived here. Part of my inspiration for writing it came from the thought that it must be really confusing for children (and adults) who visit and who are surrounded by people who call other people Duck.
The three main characters in this story are Nana Duck, Grandad and Ellie.
The characters are very loosely based on my parents and my daughter. For example, it is my Dad who cooks at home, just as Grandad does in the story. My Mum often says "yummy, yummy, yummy" in reference to a favourite film of hers (just as Nana does).
Despite my family being the inspiration, I'm sure that many people will see a little of their relationship with their own grandparents in these characters and will be reminded of that bond that means so much to you when you are growing up.
The illustration process
Sarah's job is to turn my ideas and turn them into exciting illustrations. For some scenes, I knew exactly what I wanted and could describe it quite well whereas for other scenes the setting has come from Sarah.
The first stage was a sketched storyboard and a sketch of the three main characters. Next was a cover sketch and then, finally, a fully sketched version of the book. This has been through a number of iterations to get to the now finalised, fully sketched version.
The final stage will be for Sarah to paint up each sketch before making the digital file that will become the book.
She is in the process of doing this now, and all of the artwork should be complete by early September. The first colour illustration that has been done has become the project image. It shows Nana and Ellie attempting to waddle. We chose it because it highlights the sense of fun present throughout the book.
What is the money for, exactly?
Printing is the major cost that needs to be covered with over 95% of the money raised from a (hopefully) successful campaign being allocated to the print run. The remaining 5% will fund the Kickstarter rewards and fees and the marketing costs of the book (posters, discounts to booksellers, website costs, promotional materials and free copies to press outlets).
The colouring book (sample page):
The artwork for the ceramic heart:
The canal boat scene (in progress):
Risks and challenges
The main risk to the timescales for this project is that the painting stage is not completed. While we could change printers or postal distributors at the last minute causing only a small delay, there is only one Sarah. All timescales have been agreed and we are currently on target to have the book printed and ready for distribution by the middle of October 2017 (well in time for Christmas presents).
However, we all know that life can throw in unforeseen issues and unexpected challenges. If something happens to delay the project we will communicate it as soon as possible to our backers and work to get Nana Duck completed and distributed in as timely a manner as possible.
Support this project
- (30 days)