APPLESS/ Be free from the screen
APPLESS/ Be free from the screen
Mobile tool that will monitor your behavior to allow you to live a screen-free life
Mobile tool that will monitor your behavior to allow you to live a screen-free life Read more
We are a bunch of 30 somethings who decided to stand up and do something against the progressive digitlization and isolation of our world.
On a night out together, we realized how much time not only we, but all the people around us spend looking at their phone. We started guesstimating how much collective time all the people in our restaurant are giving up to the screnn. Then, we started thinking how much this is on a city/country/ global scale. We realized that once you stop and think about this is, the results are shockingly mind-blowing! How much happier and healthier lives could be if only people looked away? How much of this time could be spent on fun or creative experiences or on making the world a better place?
And then we asked ourselves, "Is there anything we can do about this?"
Then it struck us! Fight the enemy with its own weapon! What if we design an app that would show people how much time they spend on all their other apps... What if we could help them not only realize this, but help them fight it!
Fast forward 2 years and here we are now...
Over this period we consulted addiction therapists, researched behavioral science and ways to influence and alter human actions. We used this knowledge to come up with possible app functions and capabilities that would help people free themselves from the screen. Tens of app design iterations later, we have the framework for a fun and aesthetically pleasing tool that we believe will change the way people interact with their phones.
- Appless focuses on the concept of progress based on changes and improvements in your behavior.
- Its goal is to inform the user about their actual behavior in comparison to their perceived behavior. We believe that people greatly underestimate the amount of time they spend using non essential phone fuctions and apps.
- Appless is designed to keep you from using your phone compulsively and to use it only when you really need to. It will reward your for your progress and changes in your behaviour to help keep you motivated and strong!
- The tool can be set up for varying degrees of visibility. You can customize how much Appless monitoring and coaching you want to see, so that you can choose the most personally suitable and effective level to help you live a screen-free life.
- We plan to introduce various parental control features to help parents monitor and improve children's interaction with their phones. This will let parents to effectively oversee how children use their phone and ensure they use it for necessary and educational purposes and appropriately limit the amount spent on non-essential usage.
- Our extensive research (see above) as well as personal experience in coaching and motivating people ensures that appless is more than just a pretty app which monitors your phone usage. It is a well designed and engineered tool to effectively and permamently influence and alter the behaviour of those that want to live a screen-free life.
The point of appless is simple - help you use your phone only for the necessary tasks and minimize compulsive usage. People look at their phone screen from 100 to 1000 a day! We all know that a vast majority of those glances aren't necessary or essential. Appless is designed to get that time back from the phones and spend it on things that matter. "Look up and start living" - that's our mantra, and it's what keeps us going.
To make the world a better place.
We know it sounds cheesy, but once we realized how much time people waste on looking at screens, we thought we have to do something about it. We are passionate about sports, creative development and improving local communities. All of these personal and social passions could be pursued by people more effectively if they fight back against the screens.
On a more scientific note, we found that various research proves that excessive mobile phone usage can lead to:
- Incresed stress levels
- Chronic lack of concentration
- Vision and hearing problems
- Sleeping disorders
- Driving accidents
We have already designed the full app architecture for Android systems including all graphical design and screens. Now it is time to let the developers work their magic.
We need approximately 4 months to develop the first version of the app and another 2 to carry out beta tests. After that we can release it to our backers using Android phones. The first version will only be available for Android phones. We cannot afford to release it on Android at iOS at once and we have decided to start with Android as its the more popular OS system world-wide.
As soon as we're done with Android version we will create the iOS version. We estimate this to take another 9 months. Please also back us if you are using and iOS based device, we will need a bit more time to get there and deliver your app, but your pledge now will help make it all possible!
Risks and challenges
Every kickstarter has its risks and so does this one. We work hard to
mitigate them where possible:
- We did all of our homework before the start. As we wrote above, we
only launched the Kickstarter now, once our design and graphic work is
done. We invested over EUR 10k of our own money to get this far.
- We work with a team of proven graphics designers, who we know can
deliver projects on time and within budget.
- We work with a team of proved Android coders who have developed many projects of similar and great complexity. Again, these guys deliver
what they promise. These guys will later do our iOS work and they have
vast experience in doing that too.
- The only real risk is the financing, i.e. that we won't be able to
raise what we need here. This is a risk for the project, not for our
backes, as this is an all or nothing campaign.
- We are deeply passionate about this project and give you our promise
we will do everything possible to mitigate any unforeseen risks should
- (60 days)